Wiki Posts
Search

Is Delta cutting Asian routes?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, DL MM
Is Delta cutting Asian routes?

Recently there was an article in the Twin Cities Business Journal that Delta may be eliminating their NRT to MSP route. It certainly seems like with the downsizing of their planes on the SIN to NRT to MSP route, that they are phasing out the Singapore market. I spoke with pursers on my recent MSP/NRT/SIN flights and they seemed to think that Delta is planning on dumping Singapore. Has anyone heard that? As a Singapore based DM who flies back and forth from SIN to MSP several times a year, it certainly would make me rethink my loyalties.

An interesting development is that United has just announced a non stop SIN to SFO beginning in June. I don't think that Delta will be able to compete against that, given they have now downgraded us to a cramped 767!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Not only did they down gauge the NRT-SIN and vv flight, but now it seems to be extremely difficult to find upgrade space on these flights.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
I was just shopping for a March MSP-SIN trip in business and their prices are not even close to being competitive right now.

I have 3 trips planned to SIN this year and from what I just saw, Delta is not going to be getting a nickel of my money.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PeggyJM
Recently there was an article in the Twin Cities Business Journal that Delta may be eliminating their NRT to MSP route.
That was Richard Anderson threatening that if Delta wasn't given a couple dozen Haneda frequencies and slots, then Delta might be "forced" to cancel routes like MSP-NRT. Just more nonsensical threatening talk from tough-guy Richard Anderson.

An interesting development is that United has just announced a non stop SIN to SFO beginning in June. I don't think that Delta will be able to compete against that, given they have now downgraded us to a cramped 767!
Delta has a plane that can reach SIN nonstop and it's been scheduling them on relatively short routes lately: 777-200LR. If the UA SFO-SIN route is successful, perhaps DL will join UA by flying SEA-SIN with a 77L.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, DL MM
MSPeconomist is also absolutely correct that it is next to impossible to get an upgrade to/ from Singapore. Even with a B fare economy ticket, and DM status, and lots of flexibility in our travel dates, it seems almost impossible to snag an upgrade using either miles or GUCs. Of course, they've downgraded the size of the planes used on SIN to MSP, so fewer seats are available, so they can sell the seats at a premium.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:44 am

Recently there was an article in the Twin Cities Business Journal that Delta may be eliminating their NRT to MSP route. It certainly seems like with the downsizing of their planes on the SIN to NRT to MSP route, that they are phasing out the Singapore market. I spoke with pursers on my recent MSP/NRT/SIN flights and they seemed to think that Delta is planning on dumping Singapore. Has anyone heard that? As a Singapore based DM who flies back and forth from SIN to MSP several times a year, it certainly would make me rethink my loyalties.

A good post. I have been using the U.S.-NRT-SIN route for 20 years and like it, especially the NRT stop in the club--just a nice one with wonderful showers.

I am surprised that DL has lasted this long in SIN, given that partners AF, KL, and KE have flights there. All these years there has only been one flight per day in and out. Probably not a money maker, but getting to NRT first probably helps revenue.

I am to and from SIN on DL in March and the prices are fine, but the upgrades are going to be difficult because of the smaller aircraft.

What are you good at? I said, Mainly life. I work best with stuff that has a high tolerance for mistakes.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingWithers
I am surprised that DL has lasted this long in SIN, given that partners AF, KL, and KE have flights there. All these years there has only been one flight per day in and out. Probably not a money maker, but getting to NRT first probably helps revenue.
I don't think anyone in the West Coast wants to connect in Europe to go to SIN, and the KE partnership is pretty dead from the looks of things.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL won't allow USA-SIN (or most other places in Asia) via Europe without buying two tickets, whether paid in money or paid in miles. Even in IROPs caused by DL (bad MX delay causing leading to a missed connection) they will not reroute through Europe. So it doesn't matter that AF and KLM fly to various destinations in Asia. (South Asia such as India seems to be the exception here.)

DL doesn't seem to want to encourage its passengers to fly KE. The mileage earnings are pathetic. Also, the only way to upgrade on KE flights is to use miles with a FULL Y ticket.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL won't allow USA-SIN (or most other places in Asia) via Europe without buying two tickets, whether paid in money or paid in miles. Even in IROPs caused by DL (bad MX delay causing leading to a missed connection) they will not reroute through Europe. So it doesn't matter that AF and KLM fly to various destinations in Asia. (South Asia such as India seems to be the exception here.)

DL doesn't seem to want to encourage its passengers to fly KE. The mileage earnings are pathetic. Also, the only way to upgrade on KE flights is to use miles with a FULL Y ticket.
Yeah I was going to say, India is the exact opposite - there is no way to route over the Pacific, at all. I tried a few different things but I was forced to fly through Europe to go to India.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by matthew64832
Yeah I was going to say, India is the exact opposite - there is no way to route over the Pacific, at all. I tried a few different things but I was forced to fly through Europe to go to India.
Exactly. I was trying to combine my trips to SEA and BOM, but having to go back over the US east coast to get to India didn't make sense.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by mikehillwig
Exactly. I was trying to combine my trips to SEA and BOM, but having to go back over the US east coast to get to India didn't make sense.
You can book an award ticket with DL miles on MU from LAX to DEL via PVG. Ex: May 25th - MU586/MU563.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:04 am

MN Governor argues on DL's side

MN Governor Dayton flew to Washington DC today to meet with the USA Secretary of Transportation. The purpose was to argue that the federal government should exert pressure on the allocation of HND slots so that DL continues to operate thte MSP-NRT and vv nonstops. <my words>

It's argued--quite correctly IMO-- that the NRT nonstop is important to the MN business community.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.