Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Manually book alternate routings? (INTL Codeshares and Interline questions)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:08 pm
formerly Mdanner423
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

My first question has to do with Delta codeshares on China Airlines. We often fly to Taipei but sometimes would like to go another routing besides Nashville-Atlanta-Tokyo-Taipei all on Delta.

Delta codeshares with China Airlines on LAX-TPE but this doesn't seem to be bookable unless you are booking it as a nonstop. Even with good connection times I can't get Delta, Orbitz, Expedia, etc. to offer BNA-ATL-LAX-TPE even if I try to multi city book it.

Are codeshares sometimes limited on the routing?

My second question has to do with what interline ticketing really is and how you do it. Does this require a travel agent? For example if I wanted to book BNA-ATL-LAX on Delta and LAX-TPE on EVA, how or is this book able? I can't get any online booking agent to show this as an option, but the airlines claim to interline with each other. If this is possible with a travel agent, anyone have any suggestions?

In my fantasy world I would love to be able to book any Sky Team flight (Talking about China Airlines not EVA) on the same ticket.

Obviously these concerns are about baggage transfers and protecting in case of delayed/cancelled flights.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Mdanner423
Delta codeshares with China Airlines on LAX-TPE but this doesn't seem to be bookable unless you are booking it as a nonstop. Even with good connection times I can't get Delta, Orbitz, Expedia, etc. to offer BNA-ATL-LAX-TPE even if I try to multi city book it.

Are codeshares sometimes limited on the routing?

My second question has to do with what interline ticketing really is and how you do it. Does this require a travel agent?
Check fare rules for BNA-TPE. Maybe DL's (cheapest) thru-fares don't permit the CI LAX-TPE segment. One can pull up fare rules for proposed itineraries on ITA Matrix.

I would be surprised if Orbitz couldn't book the multi-city routing you suggest but if that yields a broken fare (like BNA-LAX + LAX-TPE) the price may not appeal to you.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:32 pm

Code Share agreements also typically only extend to certain markets, not a blanket everything both airlines have.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Faced the same problem with an award ticket although all it took was a call to the DM to get it booked.

Saw DPS-TPE availability and TPE-LAX-ATL availability but not all as one, they hacked it all together with no issue.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sometimes more routings appear if you do an advanced search (multicity or not) on delta.dumb by fare class and go up the fare class hierarchy. If what you want doesn't appear when you ask for V or higher, first try Y or higher and then experiment with intermediate fare classes to find the lowest fare that permits the routing.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:21 pm
formerly Mdanner423
Original Poster

I was also surprised but that's the case, neither of my scenarios seem bookable on Orbitz, Delta, Expedia, or even show up as an option on ITA.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Check fare rules for BNA-TPE. Maybe DL's (cheapest) thru-fares don't permit the CI LAX-TPE segment. One can pull up fare rules for proposed itineraries on ITA Matrix.

I would be surprised if Orbitz couldn't book the multi-city routing you suggest but if that yields a broken fare (like BNA-LAX + LAX-TPE) the price may not appeal to you.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was also surprised but that's the case, neither of my scenarios seem bookable on Orbitz, Delta, Expedia, or even show up as an option on ITA.
Then you need to find a good real live human TA.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Multi-city as BNA-ATL, ATL-LAX, and LAX-TPE (all DL-coded) works on Orbitz. (Try 2/17 as a travel date, one way, departing BNA in morning, ATL in afternoon, and LAX in evening.) Select DL as preferred carrier, and non-stops. You won't like the price. BNA-LAX-TPE is also shown.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jan 27, 2016 at 3:15 pm Reason: pasted image link
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:48 pm
formerly Mdanner423
Original Poster

Interesting! Thanks for that! It seems to only work if you do multi-city one-way, which I never did before, I always did it round-trip (BNA-ATL-LAX-TPE-LAX-ATL-BNA). That doesn't work. You're right, the price is ridiculous. Thanks though!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:50 pm
formerly Mdanner423
Original Poster

I gave this a try with no luck, I'll call a TA like you suggested. Thanks!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sometimes more routings appear if you do an advanced search (multicity or not) on delta.dumb by fare class and go up the fare class hierarchy. If what you want doesn't appear when you ask for V or higher, first try Y or higher and then experiment with intermediate fare classes to find the lowest fare that permits the routing.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
It's likely a Minimum connect time DL -> CI (or vice/versa) that's causing your problem.

Try to book VS -> AF @ LHR and see if DL will ticket it for you these days :/
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:47 pm
formerly Mdanner423
Original Poster

I *think* it's just Delta forcefully routing people through ATL-NRT and onward for Asian connections to support the hub there.

Originally Posted by Vuelos
It's likely a Minimum connect time DL -> CI (or vice/versa) that's causing your problem.

Try to book VS -> AF @ LHR and see if DL will ticket it for you these days :/
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Unusual. Some of my most interesting airline routings have come from Expedia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.