Anybody else seeing this?

Old Jan 25, 16, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Anybody else seeing this?

I will preface this by saying I THINK I'm seeing this but my sample size is admittedly limited, maybe 20 flights total.

When I fly in F it seems like female FA's never offer to take my coat while male FA's almost always offer (1/many female FA's did offer to hang up my coat, 1/5 male FA's didn't offer, these flights are a mix of paid and upgrade and I don't see any difference in service between the two). Does anyone else, particularly other women see this?

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of this but it is strange when I sit there with my coat on my lap and the FA takes the coat from the gentleman next to me then moves on to the next row without acknowledging me.
Old Jan 25, 16, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by 3furballs View Post
I will preface this by saying I THINK I'm seeing this but my sample size is admittedly limited, maybe 20 flights total.

When I fly in F it seems like female FA's never offer to take my coat while male FA's almost always offer (1/many female FA's did offer to hang up my coat, 1/5 male FA's didn't offer, these flights are a mix of paid and upgrade and I don't see any difference in service between the two). Does anyone else, particularly other women see this?

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of this but it is strange when I sit there with my coat on my lap and the FA takes the coat from the gentleman next to me then moves on to the next row without acknowledging me.
Could it be because the cat hair on the coats (sorry making fun of FT name - really like it).

I find they always hang mine, at some point.

But here is a question for this thread since it got started - do any Diamonds ever ask for the service when they are stuck back in coach or C+ coach?
Old Jan 25, 16, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
It seems like starting around Oct/Nov I've been asked if I want to hang my coat every time I've been in F, regardless of the FA.

The problem is, I never want to.
Old Jan 25, 16, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Renes Points View Post
Could it be because the cat hair on the coats (sorry making fun of FT name - really like it).

But here is a question for this thread since it got started - do any Diamonds ever ask for the service when they are stuck back in coach or C+ coach?
You know it's a really poor choice of name because I have 80 lb sled dogs not cats but everyone assumes it's cats, I think i need to add a sig says something about dogs
Old Jan 25, 16, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
I am always asked if I want my coat hung by all FAs, 100%.
Old Jan 25, 16, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Since 2012 on my flights the FC FA had a perfect record of offering to hang up my coat and a Woodford with 2 ice cubes.
Old Jan 25, 16, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
I experienced/saw a really awkward situation where the FA announced that she only had two coat hangers and asked if anyone wanted their coats hung up. No one responded, and since no one said anything, a man next to me raised his hand and said he wanted her to hang up my winter coat. She then grabbed my jacket, stomped her foot, and said loudly in front of everyone in the FC cabin, "Of course you do, you spoiled little man!" Everyone was silent, and regardless of her intention--she may have tried to be funny--I felt incredibly uncomfortable. The affected passenger, who was an Asian man, was visibly uncomfortable also. I think this was where there was a clear tension between intent vs. impact.
Old Jan 25, 16, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Renes Points View Post

I've never done it, but I've seen FAs hang up coats for coach passengers, usually businessmen sitting in the first few rows of coach (now C+). I've seen some hand the coat to a FA as they're boarding and I've observed some using the call button. Once I overheard a FA respond that she would do it later if there was still room in the closet after all of the FC coats had been taken care of.
Old Jan 25, 16, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I've never done it, but I've seen FAs hang up coats for coach passengers, usually businessmen sitting in the first few rows of coach (now C+). I've seen some hand the coat to a FA as they're boarding and I've observed some using the call button. Once I overheard a FA respond that she would do it later if there was still room in the closet after all of the FC coats had been taken care of.
Thank you so much for your thoughtful response MSP! :-:
Old Jan 25, 16, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold

Funny you should ask this. Yes, frequently female FAs don't ask me and it's happened twice in the past month in the international Delta One cabin. I've had to ask them both times. It's a female thing. I'm convinced of it.
Old Jan 25, 16, 9:43 pm

Programs: DM, KM,
First world problem for sure, but this is a real pet peeve of mine. I haven't kept real statistics, but I would say 99% of women FAs never ask to hang my coat. I'm a middle-aged woman psychologist who doesn't wear power suits, but my clothing choices are professional and meticulous--and I'm ignored. I've actually had FAs offer to hang my husband's coat and ignore me (he unfortunately fell to FO for 2016, but he's an attractive man). As much as I know better not to let this bother me, it still does. I've actually thought about doing a little social experiment, donning the power suit to see if it makes a difference.

It's definitely a woman thing. I have fur-babies too and I admit, I had to get the lint roller out before my flight yesterday!
Old Jan 25, 16, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond,1.8 MM; AA Gold

I see the same as you (male FAs being more consistent in collecting coats without being asked, than female FAs), which has changed very little for me over the past 15 years of flying. Often I will have to ask female FAs to hang mine after they have walked by multiple times collecting the male passengers coats all around me, despite my coat laying across my lap as my cue for them to take it. There is a noticeable gender bias from some of the older female FAs in other areas as well, probably because of their years of experience when males were the primary business travelers. Years ago Delta used to have annual dinners for their higher level flyers to get a temperature gauge of how the customer service experience was for us (maybe they still do but I don't get invited anymore, if so). One of the executives sat with me at dinner to specifically probe the female frequent flyer experience because they were fully aware even back in the early 2000s that there was a gender bias. They have been unable to switch that mindset of some FAs despite their best efforts, although it is better than it used to be.
Old Jan 25, 16, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The worst example I've seen of this was a very old male purser. He's finally now retired, but he made it very clear to customers which passengers (namely, elderly white men) he thought belonged in "his" premium cabin and treated people accordingly. On TATL and TPAC flights, I would almost hold my breath until I could verify that he wasn't working my flight. FAs have told me stories of how he made very clear to them who he did and did not want to work with.
Old Jan 25, 16, 10:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA Gold, United Silver, SW A List, Bonvoy Titanium
I desperately try to avoid wearing coats, but I have encountered a similar problem virtually universally as well. I've even had male seatmates (strangers) point out that I have a coat that needs to be hung up as well if I get blatantly skipped or if I am reading and don't notice the flight attendant asking over me (and not asking me).

I am not one to point out the gender gap, but I do find it humorous that women business travelers still don't get the same nod that men do. On many an occasion, I've had FAs, GAs, or hotel staff assume that it is my (completely non-status, non-travel planning) husband who is the primary traveller. He just takes a big step back when that happens -- although I am always polite.
Old Jan 25, 16, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL peon
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The worst example I've seen of this was a very old male purser. He's finally now retired, but he made it very clear to customers which passengers (namely, elderly white men) he thought belonged in "his" premium cabin and treated people accordingly. On TATL and TPAC flights, I would almost hold my breath until I could verify that he wasn't working my flight. FAs have told me stories of how he made very clear to them who he did and did not want to work with.
Since you're from Mpls, I'd guess he was PMNW. I'm pretty sure I encountered him on a DTW-NRT flight in WBC back in the late 90s. That flight was a horror of poor service. He did the bare minimum required to get through his duty hours.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: