FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Flight Diverts to Salt Lake City Due to “Unruly Crew” (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1741420-delta-flight-diverts-salt-lake-city-due-unruly-crew.html)

nineworldseries Jan 24, 2016 10:49 am

Delta Flight Diverts to Salt Lake City Due to “Unruly Crew”

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....6/01/24/44265/

Wow, what the heck even happened here?

"Delta sent passengers an apology note,
…some of our team members did not display their best behavior. We expect our flight crew to be nothing but courteous and professional at all times and what you experienced was far from that. I am sorry we didn’t deliver on our brand promise for you today."

Could this represent some consequences for power-tripping FA's?

Widgets Jan 24, 2016 11:54 am

I never hear of these things happening on Delta or other airlines often. It must have been crazy, or the pilots have a high priority for safety.

HonoraryOrange Jan 24, 2016 11:59 am

Okay now I really want to know what it was.

MSPeconomist Jan 24, 2016 12:07 pm

I wonder how the pilots discovered the problem. When they're in the cockpit, they only receive the communications that FAs want them to get. When they leave the cockpit for bathroom breaks, they first call the FA, so the FAs have time to settle down before a pilot steps into the front of the FC cabin. The FAs would have to be really out of control to not be able to settle down for a few minutes when a pilot is present.

dzflyer Jan 24, 2016 12:08 pm

Someone must have got the wrong end of you board you lose of its slc lol😉

MSPeconomist Jan 24, 2016 12:10 pm

It was apparently a LAX-MSP flight.

GRALISTAIR Jan 24, 2016 12:27 pm

As was stated - nearly always passenger, so when crew definitely noteworthy.

SuperG1955 Jan 24, 2016 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 26072706)
I wonder how the pilots discovered the problem. When they're in the cockpit, they only receive the communications that FAs want them to get. When they leave the cockpit for bathroom breaks, they first call the FA, so the FAs have time to settle down before a pilot steps into the front of the FC cabin. The FAs would have to be really out of control to not be able to settle down for a few minutes when a pilot is present.

Any FA can call the cockpit and communicate with the Captain or FO. You seem to assume that the FA's would act together an cover up a situation but that's not reality nor do they always like each other.

Carl Johnson Jan 24, 2016 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955 (Post 26073478)
Any FA can call the cockpit and communicate with the Captain or FO. You seem to assume that the FA's would act together an cover up a situation but that's not reality nor do they always like each other.

Yes. I expect that as soon as things started getting out of hand, the cockpit got a communication that some of the FAs (the ones who wanted to do their jobs without having to deal with a bunch of hooligans) wanted them very much to get.

RaflW Jan 24, 2016 8:13 pm

A 752 has to have at least 4 cabin crew. Three were reportedly "sent off due to 'bad behaviour'", so perhaps the 4th used the intercom to let the pilot know?

The "I want to hear from my crew" comment is odd as well. Maybe the pilot needed a lav break and the crew didn't answer multiple dings to the PA?

Hopefully a passenger will show up to tell us more...

PayItForward Jan 24, 2016 8:20 pm

The suspense is killing me ....
Anyone on board this flight?

OnTheSlopes Jan 24, 2016 8:43 pm

Delta Flight Diverts to Salt Lake City Due to “Unruly Crew”

I was not aboard, but on my flight today heard about 3 on duty and 1 off duty/NRSA (?) talking about it.

What I gathered was total spat with one FA taking offense at something the other did. Situation escalated. that isn't much to go on, but, found it interesting.

NoStressHere Jan 24, 2016 8:46 pm

I would expect that not ALL of the crew were to blame and one may have contacted the pilot.

In any event... sure would be great if somebody from that flight came here. Even then, it might be hard to find out what went on behind the "curtain".

EditingFX Jan 26, 2016 7:13 am

I mentioned something today to a FA on ATL-LAX as I boarded, and she seemed quite surprised I'd heard about it. Though she smiled and seemed to want to spill, she kept it in the bag. No doubt the story is making the rounds on the inside like wildfire.

NoStressHere Jan 26, 2016 7:23 am

Originally Posted by EditingFX (Post 26082972)
I mentioned something today to a FA on ATL-LAX as I boarded, and she seemed quite surprised I'd heard about it. Though she smiled and seemed to want to spill, she kept it in the bag. No doubt the story is making the rounds on the inside like wildfire.

And, a very high chance any information from DL staff will be twisted far from what originally happened.

Racial? Sexual? Cultural? Lazy? Power hungry FA? Rule breaker?

Anyone that has supervised employees for long knows that people can get into it over almost nothing.