Wiki Posts
Search

Fast service during Blizzard Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Fast customer service during Blizzard Weekend

I received an e-mail that my transcon flight Sunday was cancelled. I was unable to change it online - but after what had to have been an interminable 30 second wait, I reached an agent and even ended up with my preferred seat.

I realize YMMV but this was a great example of customer service and I wanted to make sure we recognize this in addition to our discussions about the problems and issues we encounter at the airline.

Last edited by jspira; Jan 22, 2016 at 10:41 am
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Originally Posted by jspira
I received an e-mail that my transcon flight Sunday was cancelled. I was unable to change it online - but after what had to have been an interminable 30 second wait, I reached an agent and even ended up with my preferred seat.

I realize YMMV but this was a great example of customer service and I wanted to make sure we recognize this in addition to our discussions about the problems and issues we encounter at the airline.
What time was your flight? I have a 11:30 JFK-MIA that is still on.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I called just now to check status for my CLT-ICN itinerary tomorrow (CLT is essentially closed for the day, so if the plane isn't here already, it almost certainly won't be). Total wait time on hold was maybe 25 seconds. I expected to wait for quite a while.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They really staffed up the call center for this one. Good job DL ^
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
I've got to hand it to DL with this storm. They've staffed up and gutted it out. RDU has been a mess all day long yet more than 1/2 of the ATL-RDU flights have gone. JetBlue and Southwest cancelled all flights in and out until Sunday. DL continues to try and move passengers from point A to point B.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is dramatically different from the call center experiences people are reporting with other carriers affected by the storm, especially AA EXPs who are reporting two hour hold times and callbacks eight hours later for example.

I wonder what rules/policies DL has about asking call center employees to change their schedules or work overtime when there's a bad weather event. It might help that so many of them seem to work from home.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:57 pm

with traveling on DL for the past 14 years almost exclusively, this was the first IROP that was WX related.

Im scheduled for tomorrow's EWR-ATL-LAX, upgraded in both segments, and it seems like all EWR flights are now cancelled. Thanks Jonas

I went online, and was able to get the JFK-SEA-LAX flight, and was immediately upgraded on both segments

if this is how irops are supposed to work, i can see why AA is getting a bunch of grief. cant get any better than this, and i didnt need to speak with anyone.

every year when i think about status matching with another airline because of some first world problem, there are little things like this that make me stay.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:09 pm

And this is why Delta remains my airline of choice. I'll sacrifice a few upgrades on my LGA->ORD flights when it means they come through in situations like this.

Flying Monday morning out of LGA. Hopefully should be back to normal by then.

Good luck this weekend everyone.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I called yday evening to rebook an ARN trip. Opted for the callback in 4 minutes. They called me in 4 minutes. I had a "complicated order" rebooking a 3 leg itin with GUC, so the agent said she would have the rebooking desk finish it and email the itin because it would take 15-20 minutes. Spot on, had an email 15 minutes later with everything correct.

They get an A+ rating from me, I expected it would take over 30 minutes on the phone. They're also getting really good free press from the local media today. They keep mentioning how DL is the only airline operating at RDU.

Looks like they're running 80-90% of the mainline schedule and about 10-20% of DLC.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:34 pm

I am stranded

Originally Posted by jspira

I am stranded in Greensboro for two days and DL has done a nice job of rebooking me.

It is not enough to do our best; sometimes we have to do what is required: Winston Churchill
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Called in this morning and had to wait two seconds longer than usual. Appalling.

Agent was even faster than usual looking for alternative routings, but maybe that's just because there was so little inventory left.

Note to self: Quit purchasing through OTAs so that I can at least attempt to use DL's online rebooking.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Even "The Kettle" experience was impressive. Just over 10 minutes in queue and another 10 for an international award reissue the agent had to escalate due to partners in the original reservation. ^

Hoping this installment of winter clears Atlanta by Sunday morning.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by injera
And this is why Delta remains my airline of choice. I'll sacrifice a few upgrades on my LGA->ORD flights when it means they come through in situations like this.
Such a true statement: Usually try and fly DL since when there are problems they seem to be able recover so much better than other airlines.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Great job to DL as well. Got me to NC for game Sunday. Originally booked DTW CLT but was cancelled today for tomorrow. Rebooked me no ? Asked to MYR to drive up with relatives who were going to meet me there anyways. Upgraded ATL MYR as well on the spot. Now avoid storm and drive up Sunday AM.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
+1 on the "Yay Delta!" thing!

Was heading home today...ORD-SLC-SNA. Because of some snow ball effect, the ORD-SLC flight was majorly delayed (even though the plane originated in SLC, go figure), causing a misconnect. No problem, DM line (with minimum wait) rerouted through MSP with only a 50 minute delayed arrival: C+ aisle on ORD-MSP, F on MSP-SNA. Just happy to get home, co-worker was supposed to take UA (to NC, admittedly) yesterday, won't get out until tomorrow morning at the earliest...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.