Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Deadline approaching for selecting old DM/PM choice benefits

Deadline approaching for selecting old DM/PM choice benefits

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 29, 18, 6:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Wiki Link
Select your PM/DM choice benefits here:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-benefits.html
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 21, 16, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Exclamation Deadline approaching for selecting old DM/PM choice benefits

If you haven't yet picked your choice benefits from DM/PM elite status earned in calendar year 2014 for the 2015 program year, January 31st is the deadline. It used to be February 28/29, but DL changed the dates of the program year.

Don't forget or the benefits will be permanently lost. DL doesn't give extensions on this.
Old Jan 21, 16, 11:43 am

Programs: DL DM, DL MM, Marriott Gold
Thank you for the reminder! I made my 2015 choice for PM, but not DM yet. I haven't had a need for the GUC's so hadn't made a selection yet.
Old Jan 21, 16, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM, DL MM, Marriott Gold
Quick question for anyone familiar with the GUC rules. I am fortunately in a position now that allows for paid D1 travel on international trips. I believe the rules state that the GUC's can be used for one companion booked in the same cabin and same PNR, which would imply that I can't buy my own ticket in J, then buy a ticket for my wife in Y and use my GUC to upgrade her when she can travel with me. Has anyone had any experience doing something like this?
Old Jan 21, 16, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Officially that is not allowed by the T&C but several people have reported being able to get a GUC applied for a separate-PNR companion (often for the same reason as you, they are already booked in J and the companion is coach).
Old Jan 21, 16, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Ah yes, thanks for the reminder, I still need to pick my 2015 DM benefits...
Old Jan 21, 16, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
Oh my - totally forgot this changed to Jan. Thanks!

DL should send people a reminder -- particularly this year when they changed the date.... c'mon DL
Old Jan 21, 16, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Companies like breakage and plan for it in their calculations when determining the terms of promos to be offered.
Old Jan 21, 16, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
FYI, while this is a great reminder, do NOT do this today (January 21, 2016) - wait until at least tomorrow. I just tried to select my 2015 Platinum benefit and got an error ("Let's Try That Again"; "We are sorry, but the system is currently unavailable.") when submitting the form. Now the 2015 benefit is gone from my account - I only see the 2016 ones - and I didn't get the certificates.

This was likely due to the login issue from this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ogin-woes.html ...

Time to complain to customer service, I suppose. Sigh... nothing is ever easy with Delta
Old Jan 21, 16, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; HH Gold; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BenA View Post
FYI, while this is a great reminder, do NOT do this today (January 21, 2016) - wait until at least tomorrow. I just tried to select my 2015 Platinum benefit and got an error ("Let's Try That Again"; "We are sorry, but the system is currently unavailable.") when submitting the form. Now the 2015 benefit is gone from my account - I only see the 2016 ones - and I didn't get the certificates.

This was likely due to the login issue from this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ogin-woes.html ...

Time to complain to customer service, I suppose. Sigh... nothing is ever easy with Delta
Same experience here. Very frustrating!
Old Jan 22, 16, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
So here's my question:

One of the benefits DL offers for DM's is the ability to gift GM for the coming year, which is something I always do for Mr. SOBE ER DOC. In the past if you attempted to do this before March 1 the system would not let you gift GM to someone if the recipient actively had GM menaing you had to wait until their status lapsed on 2/28 to re-gift.

Does this mean DL has fixed this issue or is this another program "enhancement" they are piling on to see how much we'll take before we tell DL where they can stuff it?
Old Jan 22, 16, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Well now the benefit year ends 1/31 so that may not be as much of a problem... if you wait until Feb 1 you'll be able to gift GM.
Old Jan 22, 16, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post
So here's my question:

One of the benefits DL offers for DM's is the ability to gift GM for the coming year, which is something I always do for Mr. SOBE ER DOC. In the past if you attempted to do this before March 1 the system would not let you gift GM to someone if the recipient actively had GM menaing you had to wait until their status lapsed on 2/28 to re-gift.

Does this mean DL has fixed this issue or is this another program "enhancement" they are piling on to see how much we'll take before we tell DL where they can stuff it?
You don't want to do the status gifts from old DM/PM choice benefits as the status expires almost instantly. Instead, you want to do it relatively soon after the newly earned choice benefits become available: at that time if the person has no current status or as soon as the system lets you do it (February 1 in your case?) if the person currently has status.
Old Jan 22, 16, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
They changed this so that the gifted status doesn't last a year from when it was gifted, but lasts until the end of the program year in which the benefit was earned. So, if you gift someone GM using your 2015 choice benefit right now, it will last for 9 days until January 31, 2016.

I had thought they also made the change so that you could gift to people at the same status you were gifting, but I'm not positive.
Old Jan 26, 16, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

This weekend is your last chance.
Old Jan 26, 16, 10:21 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM, UA, AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If you haven't yet picked your choice benefits from DM/PM elite status earned in calendar year 2014 for the 2015 program year, January 31st is the deadline.
I still haven't selected my 2014 Choice Benefits because I need as much calendar time as possible to use the GUC's. I've been flying so much biz-class award travel over the last two years, it's been tough finding the time for a good coach ticket purchase to burn GUC's

Always good to have the annual MSPeconomist "Select your CB's NOW!" psa.

Search this Thread