Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Deadline approaching for selecting old DM/PM choice benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Select your PM/DM choice benefits here:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/medallion-program/choice-benefits/choice-benefits.html
Print Wikipost

Deadline approaching for selecting old DM/PM choice benefits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Prefer Skymiles Selection over Skyclub Selection

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can double dip on most selections. However not for GUC/RUC.
Plat selections (pick one) include 20,000 Skymiles.
Diamond selections (pick once, twice, or three times) include 25,000

Skyclub membership used to be included as part of the normal Diamond perks. About two years ago, Delta took the club perk away and gave us a third Diamond pick. That worked out good for me because I prefer two 25,000 miles picks over Skyclub + one 25,000 miles pick. (My third pick is the four GUC's.)

In 2019, a Skyclub membership will cost $545 for the whole year or $29 per admission with a Delta Amex card. Breakeven for buying a $545 membership is nineteen $29 single admissions. In all of 2018, I think I only paid for six $29 single admissions, and that included my wife.

I can usually get 2 cents per Skymile value, so for me 25,000 miles are worth $500. If I really used Skyclubs a lot for myself, then using a Choice Benefits for an annual admission is worth a selection that might otherwise be 25,000 miles.

However, I think me and few other flyers use Skyclubs that much: Let's go low and say a Skymile is worth only 1.5 cents. Then 25,000 miles are worth $375. $375 divided by $29 gives 13 single admissions for breakeven. That is a lot. I consider all the times I get in free for international travel (Skyteam Elite Plus status), the few times I use a Priority Pass lounge (free with some credit cards), and all the times I have short connections. I'm never close to breakeven for any price one can assign to a Skyclub membership. Don't have a Amex Delta Reserve card for the same reason.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bowgie

Skyclub membership used to be included as part of the normal Diamond perks. About two years ago, Delta took the club perk away and gave us a third Diamond pick. That worked out good for me because I prefer two 25,000 miles picks over Skyclub + one 25,000 miles pick. (My third pick is the four GUC's.)

In 2019, a Skyclub membership will cost $545 for the whole year or $29 per admission with a Delta Amex card. Breakeven for buying a $545 membership is nineteen $29 single admissions. In all of 2018, I think I only paid for six $29 single admissions, and that included my wife.

I can usually get 2 cents per Skymile value, so for me 25,000 miles are worth $500. If I really used Skyclubs a lot for myself, then using a Choice Benefits for an annual admission is worth a selection that might otherwise be 25,000 miles.

However, I think me and few other flyers use Skyclubs that much: Let's go low and say a Skymile is worth only 1.5 cents. Then 25,000 miles are worth $375. $375 divided by $29 gives 13 single admissions for breakeven. That is a lot. I consider all the times I get in free for international travel (Skyteam Elite Plus status), the few times I use a Priority Pass lounge (free with some credit cards), and all the times I have short connections. I'm never close to breakeven for any price one can assign to a Skyclub membership. Don't have a Amex Delta Reserve card for the same reason.
For Skyclub it depends when you select it. I'm getting 1 3/4 years membership from my 2019 SC choice benefit. Regardless when you select it, SC runs till end of elite year benefit is for.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are people who qualify for DM on segments based on a couple domestic flights every week. For them, the SC membership could be very valuable at $29 times 50-100 or more visits per year, although of course in that case it would be worthwhile also to simply pay to purchase a SC membership.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie

The change to the Choice Benefit started with the 2018 benefit year.

I hit DM for the first time in 2016 - prior to that I bounced back and forth between FO and GM. I think I paid the $59 for lounge access once or twice in 5 years or so. When I started flying all of the time I initially got the Delta Gold AmEx - mostly for the discounted SC entry. It turned out that I didn't use SC any more often though, because I really felt like I needed to stay at least 2 hours to make the $29 cost worthwhile. When I finally hit DM in '16 and got the free membership, I found that I stopped by the lounge any time I had 20 minutes to spare. I usually arrive at my home airport 60 minutes prior to departure, so I check my tool bag, slide through security, and stop in the club for a bagel and banana and a quick email check on my way to the gate. I had a slow year in 2018 with only 121 segments, but I bet I visited the lounge 70 times or more.

My point being that it is much more realistic to calculate against how many times you would have used the lounge if it were free, rather than how many times you would have paid for it. Since the automatic membership went away last year I have started to carry the Reserve card. I take the 25k miles as a Choice benefit instead, which offsets at least $250 of the $450 annual fee, and the value of the Companion Certificate easily covers the remaining $200. As an added benefit, of the times that I have on the Upgrade List for a gate upgrade last year, my *worst* position was #5 (once), and I was #1 55% of the time.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by flyerCO
For Skyclub it depends when you select it. I'm getting 1 3/4 years membership from my 2019 SC choice benefit. Regardless when you select it, SC runs till end of elite year benefit is for.
Discovered this today. I had not yet selected my DM benefits for 2018 program year, because I wanted the GUC's to be valid until Jan. 2020 in order to give me flexibility to use any time this year. Because I hadn't selected yet for 2018 program year, if I had taken the SkyClub upgraded membership, it would have been valid for less than one month; total waste, so obviously didn't pick that.

Now, I'm DM for program year 2019. If I went in today and selected the SkyClub upgrade to Executive for this program year, it would be valid through Jan. 2020. That's good, full year of validity of the benefit. But I don't want to select another slate of GUC's now; I'd rather select them later this year and have them be valid deeper into 2020. So, can I solve this timing problem by selecting one DM choice benefit now but not the other two I'm entitled to, then come back later and pick the others? Or do I need to select all three DM benefits at the same time?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
So, can I solve this timing problem by selecting one DM choice benefit now but not the other two I'm entitled to, then come back later and pick the others? Or do I need to select all three DM benefits at the same time?
You can select your 3 DM benefits at 3 different times. So you can select the SC benefit now and wait to pick the others later.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Thanks for this reminder. I banked last year's and this year's 20k mileage benefits..so most of my outbound vacation to STT was just paid for. Woo hoo!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
About eight hours ago, I got an email from DL reminding me to select my choice benefits by the end of January.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
About eight hours ago, I got an email from DL reminding me to select my choice benefits by the end of January.
I think that all of us who wait until the very end of January to make the choice got that email. Both frantic and I did.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

I selected one PM and three DM choices yesterday, all of which were going to expire, and received the email confirmations very late last night, about seven hours later.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:31 am
Original Poster

About 36 hours left for most people. Time to stop procrastinating.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I promised myself that I would do them on the last day possible but I chickened out last night and did the 2018 choices for both of us.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Today's the day!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Today's the day!
Get them picked! I'm waiting for you all to finish up so I can pick my new PM RUCs tomorrow.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Only about nine hours left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.