Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Deadline approaching for selecting old DM/PM choice benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Select your PM/DM choice benefits here:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/medallion-program/choice-benefits/choice-benefits.html
Print Wikipost

Deadline approaching for selecting old DM/PM choice benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
If I take the $200 cert for one of my choices, is it possible to apply both the $200 cert and then a GUC on top of that to the same ticket?
That shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If I take the $200 cert for one of my choices, is it possible to apply both the $200 cert and then a GUC on top of that to the same ticket?
As long as the fare is eligible you can pay for a portion with the certificate and use the GUC. Just make sure you don't book an E fare when booking with DL.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Thanks MSP,

You helped me not to lose it!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you haven't yet picked your choice benefits from DM/PM elite status earned in calendar year 2014 for the 2015 program year, January 31st is the deadline. It used to be February 28/29, but DL changed the dates of the program year.

Don't forget or the benefits will be permanently lost. DL doesn't give extensions on this.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
BUMP.

Two days left.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I chose mine earlier today. With the sporadic issues reported in the last week or so, wanted to do it during business hours in case something went wrong...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
I believe I am good for another year to select these, but I'm nervous and can I ask the experts here to confirm please??

(I hope this upload works )
Attached Images  
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tanglin
I believe I am good for another year to select these, but I'm nervous and can I ask the experts here to confirm please??

(I hope this upload works )
Yeah, if they say 2016 you have until the end of the 2016 program year to select them: January 31, 2017

I assume you know that for your 2015 you could have gotten that same $200 cert as a plat benefit and then gifted GM instead of FO...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by matthew64832
Yeah, if they say 2016 you have until the end of the 2016 program year to select them: January 31, 2017
Thanks!

I assume you know that for your 2015 you could have gotten that same $200 cert as a plat benefit and then gifted GM instead of FO...
Arrggghhh! No I did not realise that! I will do that when the FO runs out and my daughter needs a renewal!

Thanks again!
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Thanks!

Arrggghhh! No I did not realise that! I will do that when the FO runs out and my daughter needs a renewal!

Thanks again!
You can see the full matrix here: https://www.delta.com/choicebenefits/

It's actually rather strange, for some benefits the PM vs DM choice are identical (i.e. a single $200 gift card) but others there is a big difference (4 RUC vs 8 RUC, FO gift vs GM gift)
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

You can see the full matrix here: https://www.delta.com/choicebenefits/

It's actually rather strange, for some benefits the PM vs DM choice are identical (i.e. a single $200 gift card) but others there is a big difference (4 RUC vs 8 RUC, FO gift vs GM gift)
Arbitrage opportunities. For example, if you're selecting a gift card, do it as a PM choice. For RDMs, GUCs/RUCs, gifted status, the DM options are better.

However, not everyone is able to select their PM and DM choice benefits at the same time, nor is everyone certain when making the PM choice that there will be DM choices later for the same program year. So in some cases, it can be hard to coordinate optimally.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 10:21 am

Can I ask an obvious question? What benefit is there in delaying making the selection other than the obvious being that you might change your mind? If I am selecting RUCs, wouldn't I want them now or is there some benefit to pushing out the expiry so that I can use them the following year (when I might have lesser status)? Just curious.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaw753
Can I ask an obvious question? What benefit is there in delaying making the selection other than the obvious being that you might change your mind? If I am selecting RUCs, wouldn't I want them now or is there some benefit to pushing out the expiry so that I can use them the following year (when I might have lesser status)? Just curious.
RUCs/GUCs and DL voucher gift cards expire one year after they're chosen. If you're not going to use them right away, it's better to pick them later and get the latere expiration date for flexibility, especially if it turns out that the upgrades cannot be confirmed on the flights where you had planned/hoped to use the RUCs/GUCs. This is especially true since they tend to appear in your account within a few hours of being selected, certainly less than 24 hours IME.

OTOH, if you're at the airport and decide that applying a RUC/GUC would be helpful, I wouldn't count on getting them fast enough for a gate upgrade on that flight.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:03 pm

Yep just did this yesterday
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thanks!

Thanks again!
Note the 2015 gifted FO status expires tomorrow. The 2016 choice benefit FO/GOLD gifted status runs out Jan 31, 2017. Therefore you only gave her status for a couple of days.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
I sat next to someone today in row 3 who said she had done a mileage run last month to make Plat. I said it was really worth it, and that I really appreciated the Plat choice benefits, and have been getting the RUCS.

She had never heard of RUCs, and didn't know there was such a thing as choice benefits - - so hadn't claimed them for 2015 or 2016. I told her she had one day to claim them for 2015, so she immediately got on the Delta app and claimed herself some RUCs.

I then explained to her the ins and outs of using RUCs (how you can use them in advance but some wait till close to fiight time; to apply them to a long segment but not a short one unless the long segment clears), and she said she had a flight to LAX tomorrow and could really use the upgrade since it was part of a 3-segment connection.

As we were leaving the plane she thanked me - - but I told her it was all thanks to Flyertalk. She took a note of that too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.