To Dallas from concourse T

Old Jan 19, 16, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA PP

It seems that every time I fly to Dallas (from ATL), the flight is set to leave from concourse T. Is this just the luck of the draw or is this an intentional decision by Delta to co-locate Dallas-bound flights with American Airlines flights (since AA operates out of T)?
Old Jan 19, 16, 3:08 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by ruckzac View Post
It seems that every time I fly to Dallas (from ATL), the flight is set to leave from concourse T. Is this just the luck of the draw or is this an intentional decision by Delta to co-locate Dallas-bound flights with American Airlines flights (since AA operates out of T)?
Major O/D biz markets always leave from there. Note DCA always is, too
Old Jan 19, 16, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA PP
Originally Posted by Vuelos View Post
Major O/D biz markets always leave from there. Note DCA always is, too
O/D?
Old Jan 19, 16, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
O/D = origin/destination
Old Jan 19, 16, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
O/D = origin/destination
Translation in this context: flights that generally don't have connecting passengers.

I guess the rationale is that if people are generally connecting in ATL, the middle of the airport is find and even convenient for them on average. For those who start and end at ATL, proximity to check in, baggage claim, and transportation is important.
Old Jan 19, 16, 4:05 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Translation in this context: flights that generally don't have connecting passengers.
That is an incorrect assumption... and you know what assuming does (beyond padding your post count).
Old Jan 19, 16, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Vuelos View Post
That is an incorrect assumption... and you know what assuming does (beyond padding your post count).
Would you care to explain the actual rationale then? I, too, always thought it was so that you could board almost directly after clearing security and could be at baggage claim and/or ground transportation quickly, somewhat similarly to the advantages DL puts in place for their Shuttle routes.
Old Jan 19, 16, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
Would you care to explain the actual rationale then? I, too, always thought it was so that you could board almost directly after clearing security and could be at baggage claim and/or ground transportation quickly, somewhat similarly to the advantages DL puts in place for their Shuttle routes.
That's right, it's high value origin/destination traffic. It's not that they don't have connecting pax, it's these are major business markets ex-ATL.
Old Jan 19, 16, 4:31 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

I guess the rationale is that if people are generally connecting in ATL, the middle of the airport is find [sic] and even convenient for them on average. For those who start and end at ATL, proximity to check in, baggage claim, and transportation is important.
Just asked someone in operations if this is their rationale for gate planning. "Not at all." (FT rules prohibit repeating the rest of the comment.) They do plan for certain cities at certain gates as regularly as possible, but it's a fluid situation given delays, mechanical, etc. When possible they might plot an inbound w a lot of connections near the connecting outbound, but this doesn't necessarily have to happen in the middle of the airport, if that was a literal assumption. Nor is that scenario always possible.

Last edited by PRWeezer; Jan 19, 16 at 4:38 pm
Old Jan 19, 16, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
In my experience southeast/northeast hubs are a safe bet out of T - namely DFW, DCA, and LGA. T. But like PRWeezer said, by no means is that set in stone.
Some say the T gates are for flights to competitors' hubs so as to give ATL O/D passengers an advantage, but I've rarely seen ORD, EWR, JFK, PHL, CLT leaving from T. And I don't think I've ever seen LAX, SEA, SFO, DEN from T.

If anything, I think there might be "preferred" concourses for certain destinations, but at the end of the day it's all luck of draw- mainly time of day and day of the week. I used to live in CLT and I flew CLT-ATL (and reverse) in and out of everything from T to E, and once even F!
Old Jan 19, 16, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

There was a time recently when I think DL actually said publicly they were trying to do all WAS and NYC flights from T, but it's been very hit or miss on my recent LGA and JFK flights.

And flying back from LGA I always seem to end up arriving in B or D...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: