Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL 1-stop is THREE TIMES AA non-stop? Is this an error?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL 1-stop is THREE TIMES AA non-stop? Is this an error?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Like you, I suspect the OP is finding constructed fares. Looking at Matrix with a Monday departure that's what I'm getting when looking at DL's cheapest itins restricted by total travel time.

The entire 'fly on DL' scenario is ridiculous. Google Maps puts DCA-PIT at a 4-hr drive. I think somebody's boss needs to take a close look at time management and expense management.
I also suspect that putting the segments onto the same ticket/PNR is what's forcing Y class. My guess is that two separate tickets in lower fare classes would be cheaper but of course riskier in IROPs and for SDC possibilities.

I wonder whether the OP has checked prices for FC, although full Y allows elites to upgrade at time of ticketing.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
My preferences...KAYAK...drive...not go...
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
OP, I feel your pain. I went through the same "surprise" last year when looking at WAS-PIT, eeek! I certainly recognize that this may not work for you, but I just noted BWI-PIT for next Thursday is $172 for the o/w. At least you can save some $ on the return. You can either take MARC or Amtrak to BWI (which may not be desirable for you) and then some don't like SW but there are some options, it seems, or just go w/ the AA flights. Increasingly I've been able to use SW when DL pricing was irrationally high. Good luck.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
OP, I feel your pain. I went through the same "surprise" last year when looking at WAS-PIT, eeek! I certainly recognize that this may not work for you, but I just noted BWI-PIT for next Thursday is $172 for the o/w. At least you can save some $ on the return. You can either take MARC or Amtrak to BWI (which may not be desirable for you) and then some don't like SW but there are some options, it seems, or just go w/ the AA flights. Increasingly I've been able to use SW when DL pricing was irrationally high. Good luck.
If the OP is going to fly BWI when DCA is desired (and do it on WN), IMO it would be almost faster to just drive.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
Yep. BWI-XXX-PIT is going for around $250 roundtrip, one-fourth the cost to fly out of DCA. With the same connections DTW/JFK-PIT-DTW/JFK. Ridiculous.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the OP is going to fly BWI when DCA is desired (and do it on WN), IMO it would be almost faster to just drive.
But driving is less efficient as one can not simultaneously work and travel when driving.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
DL does publish fares DCA-PIT. Seemingly Y and F only though, regardless of how far out in the future you go.

Code:
DL     WASPIT          29FEB16                                  
    V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG 
  1   Y0             Y X   558.00     ----      -/‡  -/  -  322 
  2   Y              Y X  2001.00     ----      -/1  -/  -  322 

DL-DLA/D5 - FIRST OR BUSINESS                                   
DL     WASPIT          29FEB16                                  
    V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG 
  3   YA0HA0FQ       P‡X   638.00     ----      -/1  -/  -  322 
  4   F0             F‡X   743.00     ----      -/‡  -/  -  322
  5   C              J‡X  2735.00     ----      -/1  -/  -  322
  6   F              F‡X  2735.00     ----      -/1  -/  -  322 

322*  1. WAS-RDU/NYC/DTT/CVG/BOS/ATL-PIT                       
       2. WAS-CVG-NYC/DTT/BOS-PIT                               
       3. WAS-CVG-NYC/BOS-PIT                                   
       4. WAS-DTT-CVG-PIT                                       
       5. WAS-DTT-NYC/CVG-PIT                                   
       6. WAS-CVG-DTT-PIT                                       
       7. WAS-DTT-NYC-PIT
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by emrdoc
But driving is less efficient as one can not simultaneously work and travel when driving.
That depends on the nature of your work.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:04 pm

That depends on the nature of your work.
Good point.

I would assume that most of us are white collar and can do at least some of our work from anywhere we can open our computer.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:08 pm

If you're not facing bad weather or bad traffic, you can think very effectively while driving, often more effectively than on an airplane or in an airport (lounge). No computer needed for the important stuff.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
How much work can you really accomplish on DCA-JFK-PIT though? DCA-JFK is maybe 40 minutes in the air, and JFK-PIT is an hour at most. You'd get maybe an hour of time on the 2 flights combined where you could pull out a laptop and work.

Faster and less of a hassle to just drive it and do the 1 hour of work on either end, I would think. Unless you really need the MQD/MQM/MQS.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by WillSkiGT
How much work can you really accomplish on DCA-JFK-PIT though? DCA-JFK is maybe 40 minutes in the air, and JFK-PIT is an hour at most. You'd get maybe an hour of time on the 2 flights combined where you could pull out a laptop and work.

Faster and less of a hassle to just drive it and do the 1 hour of work on either end, I would think. Unless you really need the MQD/MQM/MQS.
To each his own...

:-)
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:36 pm

If you're not facing bad weather or bad traffic, you can think very effectively while driving, often more effectively than on an airplane or in an airport (lounge). No computer needed for the important stuff.
We are all different...I can work more efficiently on a plane as I find there to be less distractions.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:57 pm

We are all different...I can work more efficiently on a plane as I find there to be less distractions.
For me it's the interruptions, such as the announcements and even FAs offering to refill my glass.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... even FAs offering to refill my glass.
if you would ride in the back more often this wouldn't be an issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.