Delta out of Santa Barbara again?

Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Kind of surprised it took DL this long to get back Into SBA
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Kind of surprised it took DL this long to get back Into SBA
Another case of "this is just my luck." I have been traveling to SB county (Lompoc) for work since like 2004.

After the demise of SLC-SBA and the end of the American Eagle codesharing, I had to start flying into LAX and driving. This required a lot of planning to try and avoid the worst traffic times on the 405.

Now I'm going to retire in August and the widget starts up flights into SBA. And the flights will even be on the very nice E-175! Maybe I shouldn't retire just yet?

David
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by third_wave
Meanwhile UA is still running CR2s on 916 mile DEN-SBA, currently blocked at 2h54m. What is that if not pure hell?
Yes, as mentioned though they also have an Airbus and 175's on that route too, you just have to avoid the CJ200's

Surprisingly UA is running the 175's SBA-LAX too now, for that whole 20 min flight - No complaints!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
I’m am so happy to have heard this news today. Never having a three hour layover again in PHX to get to SBA, hooray! Pricing in Aug $258 RT beats the best I can ever get these days and good flight times.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by tstauck
Yes, as mentioned though they also have an Airbus and 175's on that route too, you just have to avoid the CJ200's

Surprisingly UA is running the 175's SBA-LAX too now, for that whole 20 min flight - No complaints!
There's a lot of competition in the market now! ^
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Any News on a Return?

Finally Delta came back in 2019(or was it 18?). I was loving the nonstop service and as a Plat member, I think I missed one upgrade out of 20 at Sundance time. No more 2-3 hours in PHX, etc.

then Covid hit and it was cut, again. And AA also has cut back, either you many times have no connecting time or have to overnight in PHX. I took my first flight in almost a year to BUR to get my second dose of vax and Alaska has better routing times now through SEA so doing that in a few weeks.

But, any news on a return? Really sucks as SBA to ATL was planned and United even had plans to ORD. Covid shut it all down. Hoping for a return someday. SWA is moving in, maybe making it impossible at this point.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing loaded in system through end-of-schedule. It was pulled from system through EOS back in June. Pretty safe to assume there are no plans to return currently.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1447605
**DL SBA-SLC AUG 3>0[1.8] SEP 3>0[3] OCT 3>0[3] NOV 3>0[3] DEC 3>0[3] JAN 3>0[3] FEB 3>0[3] MAR 3>0[3] APR 3>0[3]
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:42 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
No more 2-3 hours in PHX
SLC?

I took my first flight in almost a year to BUR to get my second dose of vax and Alaska has better routing times now through SEA so doing that in a few weeks.
SBA-SEA-BUR? Wouldn't driving or even Uber make more sense?

Regardlesss, lots of money in SBA and lots of people who don't want to fly SW. DL will return when demand picks up.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Finally Delta came back in 2019(or was it 18?). I was loving the nonstop service and as a Plat member, I think I missed one upgrade out of 20 at Sundance time. No more 2-3 hours in PHX, etc.

then Covid hit and it was cut, again. And AA also has cut back, either you many times have no connecting time or have to overnight in PHX. I took my first flight in almost a year to BUR to get my second dose of vax and Alaska has better routing times now through SEA so doing that in a few weeks.

But, any news on a return? Really sucks as SBA to ATL was planned and United even had plans to ORD. Covid shut it all down. Hoping for a return someday. SWA is moving in, maybe making it impossible at this point.
My feeling in town (SBA) from talking with people, lots of people are excited for SW to come in. 3 flights per day to Vegas, plus DEN and OAK. United has such a hold on the SBA-SFO market, $200-400 for that route all the time.

Hopefully SBA-ORD on UA will finally come back on the schedule, fingers crossed. I go to VT a lot where I'm from and only one connection is huge.

To your question on Delta, not sure. I booked SBA-SLC-PVR with them, and they simply gave me my money back last year. They didn't even try to roll it as a credit and offered me a refund instead.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:47 pm

I also miss Delta’s short SLC service at SBA and at this moment I believe it most recent run has come to an end due to COVID. Delta is a thoughtful, tightly run airline and I bet SBA is not to return for a long while.

in my opinion, service with other airlines have improved over the last year. American with its morning service to DFW has been great for my business travel. United is starting a 7:20 AM flight to Chicago/ORD with a 737-700 this spring. United is planning on using A-320 and A-319s for SFO & DEN soon. Finally Southwest with its LAS 3x daily, midday OAK & DEN flights should be good for many.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:00 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
SLC?
OP said "Finally Delta came back", so in that context I am thinking "no more connecting in PHX" refers to flying AA when DL *didn't* have service to SBA at all.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by tstauck
My feeling in town (SBA) from talking with people, lots of people are excited for SW to come in. 3 flights per day to Vegas, plus DEN and OAK. United has such a hold on the SBA-SFO market, $200-400 for that route all the time.

Hopefully SBA-ORD on UA will finally come back on the schedule, fingers crossed. I go to VT a lot where I'm from and only one connection is huge.

To your question on Delta, not sure. I booked SBA-SLC-PVR with them, and they simply gave me my money back last year. They didn't even try to roll it as a credit and offered me a refund instead.
I hear the same thing from folks in SBA. Very happy about Southwest coming in. People there are less bothered by the fact that it’s SW. I think folks that aren’t familiar with the SB area think it’s a far wealthier area than it actually is.

Airline service started to get reduced after the new terminal was built. I’m curious if airport fees went up too much and airlines then reduced service. Good to see more options being added.
tstauck likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
OP said "Finally Delta came back", so in that context I am thinking "no more connecting in PHX" refers to flying AA when DL *didn't* have service to SBA at all.
Correct! Glad to her the United flight to ORD is probably on. I may even become a United loyalist if have all those options. AA is only flying CRJ between SBA, PHX and PHX SLC except maybe one flight a day and the connections just don’t work.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I hear the same thing from folks in SBA. Very happy about Southwest coming in. People there are less bothered by the fact that it’s SW. I think folks that aren’t familiar with the SB area think it’s a far wealthier area than it actually is.
Plus SW has such a strong brand reputation on the west coast that transcends income levels.
El Boocho likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Plus SW has such a strong brand reputation on the west coast that transcends income levels.
I think that's true across the country. I know plenty executives who have no issue taking WN. They're not Spirit or (shudders to even say name) Allegiant.
El Boocho likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.