Wiki Posts
Search

Comfort+ on Air France ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE

If I book a Delta-operated international flight on an Air France ticket (say DTW-CDG), will that still allow me things like free selection of C+ at booking? DM with no independent status on AF.

I'm sure someone will want to know why I'm doing this--work travel system is forcing it, for some reason.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
I've never been able to pick these in advance on AF/KL although there may be some trick to it. It seemed like once at the airport (meaning AMS, CDG) there may have been a way to get someone to put you in them but there were never any seats at that time.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Isn't DL still in charge of seat assignments as the operating carrier? Call the DM line with your 057 ticket number.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, FB PL, LY PL, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, PC Royal Ambassador, BW Platinum
They are considered a different class

(Yes, I know Delta is heading that way too)
So you wont be able to select them, If you booked Economy, you will get Economy.

Gate Agent wont be able to do anything, Even if you are super nice to them,
On the Check-In (Airport) they are able to move to the Premium Economy
after they cleared out all the requests from there Platinum Flying Blue (If you are a diamond, you are considered Platinum too).

I am flying often with them, Nice seats especially on the 380s,
Price wise, Sometimes its cheaper to book Premium Economy in Air France than via Delta as code share.
There is also different in the miles, When doing it via Air France you get more miles.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP specifically said DL operated flights, not AF. DL Comfort+ is not a separate class on international flights and OP should be able to get a seat in it even when flying on an AF ticket. Yes, AF PE is a separate class of service and there are no free upgrade rights to those seats for elites, but that's not what OP was asking about.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by ebzed
Gate Agent wont be able to do anything, Even if you are super nice to them, On the Check-In (Airport) they are able to move to the Premium Economy after they cleared out all the requests from there Platinum Flying Blue (If you are a diamond, you are considered Platinum too).
IME, AF does not just move Flying Blue (or ST partner) top-tier elites from Economy to Premium Economy. The only time I've seen this is when Economy is oversold and they need to move people up to make space.

HKG-CDG in November....myself (DM) and several other Flying Blue Platinums were in the back with many open PE seats.

Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Correct. Not an AF operated flight, so no PE product to begin with. Really just asking if I get my standard DM benefits even with an 057 ticket.

I think I'll just book and find out. 24 hour cancellation is there if it doesn't work.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta DM; United Gold; Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold; Ritz Carlton/Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
I am DM put 95% of my miles are from Air France flights. AF doesn't give its own Platinum members automatic upgrades to PE since it is a completely different class of service.

What their elite members do get is free preferred seating in economy. Some economy seats on AF must be paid for (exit row, first row, first few rows aisle and window). The cost of the seats vary based on distance and how prefrerred the seat is.

Delta elite receive the same benefits on those seats as do AF elite, meaning free preferred seating but not seats in Premium Economy which has different meals, amenity kits and other differences in addition to seats.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by huskerchad
Correct. Not an AF operated flight, so no PE product to begin with. Really just asking if I get my standard DM benefits even with an 057 ticket.

I think I'll just book and find out. 24 hour cancellation is there if it doesn't work.
I booked a flight (on Expedia) which was ticketed as AF flights (057 tickets) with the international segments on DL metal. When I tried to choose my C+ seats on the Delta website, initially it wouldn't let me but said to try back in 24 hours. I had no problem picking a C+ seat the next day.

So, as far as I can tell, DM benefits are applied when ticketed through AF.

D
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: DL Plat
just wanted to check if there is any update with receiving PM benefits, mainly comfort plus, on DL metal flights booked through AF or KLM

also, is this affected if we book light or basic economy on klm/af? it seems both light and regular y book into the same fare class (v in this case).

Last edited by runningformqm; Apr 21, 2018 at 11:54 am
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The issue isn't the ticket or who sells it. The issue is how the flight is marketed. If it is sold as a codeshare (ie anything other then DL for the flight on DL metal) then can only do DoD upgrades to C+ or F. While it seems like they're the same flight, AF5678 operated by DL134 isn't the same as DL134. DL has zero control to change cabins for someone booked on a codeshare.

Remember this is basically you booking an AF flight that they know they won't be able to operate. This you are booked onto the "operating" airline that happens to operate a flight at the exact same time. Basically till DoD it is it's own flight for all purposes.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The issue isn't the ticket or who sells it. The issue is how the flight is marketed. If it is sold as a codeshare (ie anything other then DL for the flight on DL metal) then can only do DoD upgrades to C+ or F. While it seems like they're the same flight, AF5678 operated by DL134 isn't the same as DL134. DL has zero control to change cabins for someone booked on a codeshare.

Remember this is basically you booking an AF flight that they know they won't be able to operate. This you are booked onto the "operating" airline that happens to operate a flight at the exact same time. Basically till DoD it is it's own flight for all purposes.
was afraid of that thanks
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If you bought the flight as DL code then all your DM benefits apply. If it is AF code-share then you are DoD waitlist.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:04 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Interesting... I never knew this restriction existed, since I am able to select C+ seats as a PLT on DL metal even if booked as AF codeshare.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Interesting... I never knew this restriction existed, since I am able to select C+ seats as a PLT on DL metal even if booked as AF codeshare.
Where/How has this worked for you? I have a AF marketed, DL operated flight ATL-MAD and on delta.com the C+ seats are not shown as available, and on air france's website, it just sends me to Delta to pick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.