Flying American today Missing Delta

Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta dm
Flying American today Missing Delta

So I had some miles to burn and I am flying first class to the west coast on american which i havent flown for 5 plus yrs. For starters, the concourse from my home base has a first class security line for delta not american. Usually i make it through security in 5 mins. 40 mins to clear security for the american concourse today and almost missed my flight. I have the delta concourse down to a science and the minute. I had a horrendous priority line bag check LUS employee that wanted to due everything but her job and was about as congenial as warden in a jail. My first flight was on a crj 900 in first. It was ok but not as good as service as I am accustomed to with delta. So then try to enter the delta skyclub in ohare with the reserve card and I dont when they changed the rule because its been so long since ive not flown delta but you must be on a delta flight to enter the skyclub. Did not know this but they made an exception for me after speaking with american express. YMMV. Im just a fish out of water today. The only saving grace is I get a 737 800 with 16F seats instead of 737 900 torture tube that I believe was outlawed under the rules of geneva convention. I actually agree with bubbashow on this. Thank god the return home is on delta. I need my great but not always perfect delta back.👍
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Usually priority lines can be used by any airline's elites. If you do it again, I'd try going through that line even if there's not an AA sign for it. And yes, with the reserve card, you must be traveling on a Delta-coded or operated flight... it's been this way for a long time. Delta will happily welcome you back to its 739s whenever you're ready.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Usually priority lines can be used by any airline's elites. If you do it again, I'd try going through that line even if there's not an AA sign for it. And yes, with the reserve card, you must be traveling on a Delta-coded or operated flight... it's been this way for a long time. Delta will happily welcome you back to its 739s whenever you're ready.
American concourse was separate from deltas and the concourses werent connected. There was only a tsa precheck line and no first class line for americans concourse. Just couldnt believe it.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dzflyer
American concourse was separate from deltas and the concourses werent connected. There was only a tsa precheck line and no first class line for americans concourse. Just couldnt believe it.
Since you're a Delta DM you should have an individual Sky Club membership, which gets you in with a same-day boarding pass from any air carrier. The reserve card does require you to be flying Delta, though.

I'd recommend getting global entry/pre-check, always makes my TSA experiences go smoothly.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:15 pm

Hah, I'm exactly the opposite; losing status on AA and status-matched to DL. First DL flight in years, and got $600 in VDB vouchers and ended up not flying today. Wasn't missing much so far because I have PreCheck and SkyClub access from the AmEx Plat. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matthew64832
Since you're a Delta DM you should have an individual Sky Club membership, which gets you in with a same-day boarding pass from any air carrier. The reserve card does require you to be flying Delta, though.

I'd recommend getting global entry/pre-check, always makes my TSA experiences go smoothly.
How much does it cost to get tsa precheck and global entry???
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Pre/GE is $100 for 5 years. So so so so so worth it.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Did you start your trip at BWI?

BWI is having cosmetic surgery right now, and one of the things they are doing is installing a corridor along the airside wall of the airport so that one can go from Southwest's Piers A and B, to American's Pier C, to Delta and United's Pier D, to the International Terminal, without having to leave the secure area.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by matthew64832
+1^
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ND76

BWI is having cosmetic surgery right now, and one of the things they are doing is installing a corridor along the airside wall of the airport so that one can go from Southwest's Piers A and B, to American's Pier C, to Delta and United's Pier D, to the International Terminal, without having to leave the secure area.
Columbus Ohio...used to have a first class line in the american b concourse but no longer only tsa precheck. I will definitely have to buy the tsa global entry pass for 100 dollars. Thanks for the help guys.👍
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Took 4 AA flights last year, 50% of them cancelled due to mechanical.
Not a great percentage to make me leave Delta.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ND76

Every airport should be connected airside imo.

Recently flew through boston for the first time in about 5 years and boy is it annoying, even within the terminals there are separate secure areas... I was flying out of I think C42 or something and there were just like, 3 gates in the area with their own security and you couldn't go ANYWHERE else other than those 3 gates. No club, no restaurants, nothing. And of course because the security checkpoint was only for 3 gates they didn't have precheck or anything.

I guess I'm spoiled, I pretty much only fly through SEA, DTW, MSP, ATL which are all connected, or split into two areas at most.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by dzflyer
So I had some miles to burn and I am flying first class to the west coast on american which i havent flown for 5 plus yrs. For starters, the concourse from my home base has a first class security line for delta not american. Usually i make it through security in 5 mins. 40 mins to clear security for the american concourse today and almost missed my flight. I have the delta concourse down to a science and the minute. I had a horrendous priority line bag check LUS employee that wanted to due everything but her job and was about as congenial as warden in a jail. My first flight was on a crj 900 in first. It was ok but not as good as service as I am accustomed to with delta. So then try to enter the delta skyclub in ohare with the reserve card and I dont when they changed the rule because its been so long since ive not flown delta but you must be on a delta flight to enter the skyclub. Did not know this but they made an exception for me after speaking with american express. YMMV. Im just a fish out of water today. The only saving grace is I get a 737 800 with 16F seats instead of 737 900 torture tube that I believe was outlawed under the rules of geneva convention. I actually agree with bubbashow on this. Thank god the return home is on delta. I need my great but not always perfect delta back.👍
You literally just posted what a pleasant flight you had on AA in the AA forum lol....
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by OnTheSlopes
Pre/GE is $100 for 5 years. So so so so so worth it.
Agreed. And a regular Plat Amex card will reimburse the fee.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by nd76
did you start your trip at bwi?

Bwi is having cosmetic surgery right now, and one of the things they are doing is installing a corridor along the airside wall of the airport so that one can go from southwest's piers a and b, to american's pier c, to delta and united's pier d, to the international terminal, without having to leave the secure area.
about time!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.