FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   IFE in Y to/from Hawaii? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1738432-ife-y-hawaii.html)

Helena Handbaskets Jan 12, 2016 11:15 am

IFE in Y to/from Hawaii?

I'm familiar with Delta's policy of free movies in Y on trans-atlantic flights, and pay-per-view movies on domestic flights. This fall my family and I will be on our first DL flight to Hawaii, in Y. Is the IFE policy on Hawaii flights the domestic, pay-per-view one, or is there any chance they treat it like a t-atl flight and open up the system for free?

GagaPilot Jan 12, 2016 11:22 am

Can't say for certain as to the Hawaii market, but my experience to/from Alaska in Y has seen complimentary entertainment.

nikitta28 Jan 12, 2016 11:25 am

ATL to HNL or West coast to the islands?

ColonelForbin Jan 12, 2016 12:41 pm

If you're flying to Hawaii from LAX/SEA/SFO, be warned that Delta flies some of their oldest, non-refurbed 757's on these routes. There is no seat-back IFE, and the cabins look much as they did when they were delivered from ATA in the 90's. Delta lists this aircraft as the 75V:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...7-200-75v.html

It's not a guarantee that you'll get this plane, though. I was on a refurbed 757 with seat back IFE flying from Maui to LAX last year, so it can be luck of the draw.

gaugeguy Jan 12, 2016 1:00 pm

Old birds

I flew SEA-KOA last week and the 75v I was on didn't even have wifi. Just overhead monitors. No delta studio. My kids were not very happy. It's unbelievable that there are 757's flying 6 hour length flights without wifi and delta studio. :eek:

Helena Handbaskets Jan 12, 2016 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by ColonelForbin (Post 26006785)
If you're flying to Hawaii from LAX/SEA/SFO, be warned that Delta flies some of their oldest, non-refurbed 757's on these routes. There is no seat-back IFE, and the cabins look much as they did when they were delivered from ATA in the 90's. Delta lists this aircraft as the 75V:

It's not a guarantee that you'll get this plane, though. I was on a refurbed 757 with seat back IFE flying from Maui to LAX last year, so it can be luck of the draw.

Yikes.

Outbound is LAX-HNL (DL 1559) and is listed as a 757-300, with Y starting at row 14, not row 19 as in the 75V diagram. Return is KOA-LAX (DL 1298), listed as a "757", but on the seat layout for this plane, Y starts in row 15 rather than row 19. The reservations (as well as the booking pages from which I selected the flights) show the seatback video icon for both flights.

3Cforme Jan 12, 2016 1:40 pm

The 75V threat 'No Delta AVOD to Hawaii' can be exaggerated. (It's FlyerTalk, after all.) Lots more 757s have been refurbed making more AVOD-equipped birds available.

Delta's schedule today shows a total of 12 own-metal flights US-48 to four Hawaiian airports: LIH, HNL, OGG, and KOA. Of those 12 flights, two are on 75Vs. Every other op has AVOD at every seat.

LAX-LIH 752 lie-flat (all AVOD)
LAX-KOA 757 AVOD
LAX-OGG 75V
LAX-HNL 767 lie-flat (all AVOD)
LAX-HNL 752 lie-flat (all AVOD)
LAX-HNL 753 (all AVOD)
LAX-HNL 752 lie-flat (all AVOD)

SEA-HNL 757 AVOD
SEA-HNL 753 (all AVOD)
SEA-OGG 75V

SLC-HNL domestic 763 (all AVOD)

MSP-HNL a 'direct' lie-flat 752 today; the seasonal lie-flat 767 (all AVOD) is not daily

ATL-HNL A333 (all AVOD)

Old perceptions die hard. That's unfortunate, because everybody with an internet connection to post on FT could be checking a Delta seat map and the amenity icons.

Helena Handbaskets Jan 12, 2016 2:05 pm

So if my reservations show AVOD, I'm safe? Or is it common for 75Vs to be swapped in and out (wouldn't that cause problems with seat assignments)?

If my flights were swapped for a 75V, would I get an email notice, like I do when schedule changes are made?

And back to my initial question, if I'm on a DL plane with AVOD flying between LAX and Hawaii, are the movies free or pay-per-view?

bcarl Jan 19, 2016 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets (Post 26007330)
And back to my initial question, if I'm on a DL plane with AVOD flying between LAX and Hawaii, are the movies free or pay-per-view?

I was wondering the same thing when it comes to being in regular economy versus Comfort+. Is there any difference between LAX-HNL and the international configured planes out of MSP and ATL when it comes to free IFE content versus pay-per-view.

bretthexum Jan 19, 2016 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets (Post 26007330)
So if my reservations show AVOD, I'm safe? Or is it common for 75Vs to be swapped in and out (wouldn't that cause problems with seat assignments)?

If my flights were swapped for a 75V, would I get an email notice, like I do when schedule changes are made?

My MSP-OGG equipment changed about 4 times in the 6 months I waited for flight. Old, then new, then old, then lie flight. Lucked out and got the lie flat

bubbashow Jan 19, 2016 7:50 am

Originally Posted by gaugeguy (Post 26006913)
It's unbelievable that there are 757's flying 6 hour length flights without wifi and delta studio. :eek:

Heaven's! What would have happened.....um....8 years ago when none of it existed? I went to Hawaii every year as a kid. We had screens at the front of the cabin on some of the flights....books on the rest. (I even remember Pacific East Airlines DC8-63 playing BINGO with numbers announced over the PA). We enjoyed the flights just fine. I know I sound like some old "get off my lawn" ba$*#$d, but come on,
talk....read....relax...it's only 5-6 hours.

Edited to add this December: DTW-SEA - "Elf" on the overhead monitor, SEA-HNL connection "Elf" on the overhead monitor, HNL-SEA - "Elf" on the overhead monitor. A few cocktails added each flight, it was funny each time.

GateGuardian Jan 19, 2016 8:36 am

All 3 legacy airlines fly really old planes to Hawaii. Almost impossible to find a 767 on United with lie flat seats these days, but the prices are low enough sometimes to make a great MR.

mpheels Jan 19, 2016 8:57 am

I just return from a trip to Honolulu last week. We had AVOD on both the SEA-HNL leg and the HNL-SLC return. I was in C+ for the SEA-HNL leg, and didn't hear any announcements about AVOD for regular Y either way. On the HNL-SLC flight, they did announce that all AVOD entertainment was free for all passengers, but the actual selection was about 1/3 of what I'm used to seeing on other Delta flights.

doglover Jan 19, 2016 9:00 am

I just flew 2 weeks ago SEA-HNL on an old bird with no wi-fi and no avod. Fortunately the return was swapped out last minute with a 767 and the entire upgrade list lucked out. The outbound sucked.

Oh -- and ELF was still running on the overhead. Glad I had good book to read.

nikitta28 Jan 19, 2016 9:14 am

SEA-KOA last night nada...nichts...zilch the lovely lady next to me asked "How do I download a movie?"

MSPeconomist Jan 19, 2016 9:28 am

If there's Delta Studio, I think some but not all of the movies are free (and you don't need to purchase gogo to use it).

Eddie98 Jan 19, 2016 11:34 am

Glad I saw this now. Planning on going to OGG in May. May look at other airlines for times and lower prices.

PHXflier Jan 19, 2016 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Eddie98 (Post 26043953)
Glad I saw this now. Planning on going to OGG in May. May look at other airlines for times and lower prices.

As indicated earlier in the thread, most airlines have their crappiest planes flying to Hawaii. For example, the American (ex-USAir ex-ex-America West) flights from PHX to the islands are 1985-vintage and have not been refurbished. I think that the ratio of planes flying to Hawaii with AVOD to those without is certainly not worse for DL than for most other major carriers.

brocklee9000 Jan 20, 2016 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 26042626)
Heaven's! What would have happened.....um....8 years ago when none of it existed? I went to Hawaii every year as a kid. We had screens at the front of the cabin on some of the flights....books on the rest. (I even remember Pacific East Airlines DC8-63 playing BINGO with numbers announced over the PA). We enjoyed the flights just fine. I know I sound like some old "get off my lawn" ba$*#$d, but come on,
talk....read....relax...it's only 5-6 hours.

Edited to add this December: DTW-SEA - "Elf" on the overhead monitor, SEA-HNL connection "Elf" on the overhead monitor, HNL-SEA - "Elf" on the overhead monitor. A few cocktails added each flight, it was funny each time.

Bingo over the PA? Interesting. I dare you to go over to the AA forum and mention that in "Lack of Cockpit Announcements" thread. :D

audidudi Jan 20, 2016 6:48 pm

The good news is that the three remaining 75Vs are due to be withdrawn from use by the end of Q1 2016. So hopefully by Q2 2016, the odds of being on a non-AVOD equipped 757 will be almost non-existant, as there will only be a few non-refurbished birds flying then, as the mods are being done in earnest during the slower winter schedule.