Delta split my travel party

Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Delta split my travel party

Hi everyone - two weeks ago I booked a trip to the US with DL on DL.com. I noticed when I got the tickets that my companions name was shortened. I contacted Delta via E-mail, to check if this i caused by some computer problem, and they quickly responded that a new ticket would be issued with his complete name, as the computer could not handle the number of characters A couple of days later, I realized that Delta had deleted my companion from the PNR - I thought OK, they are working on it. Two days ago I asked Delta for an update - just to make sure that everything will be OK.

Today I got a mail from Delta stating that they have issued a new ticket on a different PNR - and also the actual ticket. The ticket was sent from KLM, which probably means that KLM made the change (the ticket number begins with 006 - which I guess means Delta)

I am not happy with this, because this will mean a lot of extra work in terms of organization, seats - as I need to log in twice for everything - I can't use the app to select seats for both of us and check in.

What do you think? Should I call and say that I am not happy, or should I just leave it?

UPDATE: I double checked and the new ticket is 074 stock - KLM.

Last edited by NLNO; Jan 12, 2016 at 10:49 am
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
PNRs can never be combined, so you're stuck with this. The only way to get you all back on one reservation is to create a new reservation for all of you, and cancel both of your existing ones. I doubt you're going to convince a rep to go through that trouble just because you don't like being on separate reservations. Plenty of people travel on split reservations all the time, and while there are some minor inconveniences at times, the airline will not see this as a problem.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
It looks like you got a satisfactory outcome to your concern. I don't think the airlines will change anything because you are not 'happy' with two PNRs. A lot of groups travel on separate reservations (different PNRs), and it is totally fine.

If you are a PM/DM or have STE+ status, I can understand your concern, in not being able to select preferred/Comfort+ seats for free, and take advantage of increased baggage allowance, priority boarding, priority bags, lounges, etc. In that case, just call DL, and ask them to reference/attach one PNR to another. That way, the system will be able to see both rez/PNRs, even when just one of them is pulled up. After that, you can call DL, to have the preferred seats assigned for your partner (again, assuming you have status that allows you to do so).

Safe travels!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To avoid this, the OP could have requested that both tickets be on the same PNR when calling to have the name fixed. Then presumably both tickets would have been reissued.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
It looks like you got a satisfactory outcome to your concern. I don't think the airlines will change anything because you are not 'happy' with two PNRs. A lot of groups travel on separate reservations (different PNRs), and it is totally fine.

If you are a PM/DM or have STE+ status, I can understand your concern, in not being able to select preferred/Comfort+ seats for free, and take advantage of increased baggage allowance, priority boarding, priority bags, lounges, etc. In that case, just call DL, and ask them to reference/attach one PNR to another. That way, the system will be able to see both rez/PNRs, even when just one of them is pulled up. After that, you can call DL, to have the preferred seats assigned for your partner (again, assuming you have status that allows you to do so).

Safe travels!
There isn't a way to "link" Delta PNRs. The best Delta can do is add a special remark to the PNR including the companion's PNR, but an agent that pulls up a "linked" PNR won't see the other PNR. The agent would have to be prompted to read the special remarks and then pull up the other PNR separately.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:37 am

Programs: DL PM
That way, the system will be able to see both rez/PNRs, even when just one of them is pulled up.
Nope, the "system" will never see that the 2nd PNR is linked. When you link 2 PNR's, all it means is the agent makes a note in the comment screen. A human being would have to actually open and read the comment to see that they are linked; the computer system will not recognize anything automatically. So, let's say there are irrops and you have to get rebooked; the computer won't see that you are traveling together, so you may not get rebooked together.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by ncwillett
Nope, the "system" will never see that the 2nd PNR is linked. When you link 2 PNR's, all it means is the agent makes a note in the comment screen. A human being would have to actually open and read the comment to see that they are linked; the computer system will not recognize anything automatically. So, let's say there are irrops and you have to get rebooked; the computer won't see that you are traveling together, so you may not get rebooked together.
it is silly that DL still does not have such capacity for sure like AS has.

One can get someone C+ before I am sure.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by Widgets
There isn't a way to "link" Delta PNRs. The best Delta can do is add a special remark to the PNR including the companion's PNR, but an agent that pulls up a "linked" PNR won't see the other PNR. The agent would have to be prompted to read the special remarks and then pull up the other PNR separately.
Originally Posted by ncwillett
Oh, that's good to know! Thanks!

The reason I made that comment was, whenever I requested PNRs to be linked (for travelling companions to be in C+, and for me to hopefully get an UG), whenever checking in with an agent at the airport, he/she was always able to see my travelling companions (on different PNRs), even when they just pull up my reservation, without even needing to explain anything about the linked PNRs.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Oh, that's good to know! Thanks!

The reason I made that comment was, whenever I requested PNRs to be linked (for travelling companions to be in C+, and for me to hopefully get an UG), whenever checking in with an agent at the airport, he/she was always able to see my travelling companions (on different PNRs), even when they just pull up my reservation, without even needing to explain anything about the linked PNRs.
I think that just because the agent look into it, has AvidFltyer1990 ask them or let them know that they are party of two? it is also not strange for gate agent to check that info frequent for different reasons, re-booking so that tab may be helpful. ofcoz maybe the new airport delta system just does that and hopefully it will extend to the reservation soon lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.