Help from DL ff required

Old Jan 9, 16, 4:17 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 29
Flight with Mad Dogs ex WAS or NYC in first in June/July

Hi there,

Are there any DL expperts who can help me around? I have posted this in mileage run thread first, but maybe its better to ask for help in this thread.

I am in WAS (end of June) and in NYC (beginning of July).

Usually I am flying *A, but I want to take a ride on some Mad Dogs in first on DL.

I need some help for the routing I managed to make trips with 717 one direction nonstop, MD 88 and MD90 with one stop return on one day, but I had issues to find cheap fares ex WAS or better NYC.

Fares where well above USD 400 for several routes. Is there anything doable lower than USD 400?

Thanks

Last edited by iamamadscientist; Jan 9, 16 at 4:32 pm Reason: Updating title
iamamadscientist is offline  
Old Jan 9, 16, 4:26 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 18,820
Originally Posted by iamamadscientist View Post
Hi there,

Are there any DL expperts who can help me around? I have posted this in mileage run thread first, but maybe its better to ask for help in this thread.

I am in WAS (end of June) and in NYC (beginning of July).

Usually I am flying *A, but I want to take a ride on some Mad Dogs in first on DL.

I need some help for the routing I managed to make trips with 717 one direction nonstop, MD 88 and MD90 with one stop return on one day, but I had issues to find cheap fares ex WAS or better NYC.

Fares where well above USD 400 for several routes. Is there anything doable lower than USD 400?
Thanks
DC/NYC first class fares are never going to be the cheapest. There's plenty of demand on the route. Not sure what the big obsession with riding a DL MD88/90 is. Flight is too short to matter what type of aircraft you'll be on, plus it's not like you're going to be on it long enough to have any type of experience.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jan 9, 16, 6:56 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hands of Fate
Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Posts: 4,822
Your question is a little unclear, but I assume what you're saying is "I can leave from any WAS or NYC airport, and I don't care where I go as long as it's on a 717, MD88, MD90, and sub-$400." If so, do you care if you overnight or do you want to do a same day turn? Exact dates would help as well, since "the beginning of July" includes the July 4 holiday, which can either make things really cheap or really expensive.

That said, ex-JFK (not LGA) I'm seeing $284/rt in F to BOS for various itineraries in early July.

Out of NYC MDs go mostly to ATL, DTW, MSP, MSY, and Florida, none of which have F in your price range. Possibly prices will drop as you get closer to departure.

Of course this far out equipment swaps are a possibility.
bennos is offline  
Old Jan 9, 16, 9:17 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 9,649
Why the MD's?
And why in first?

Though first is always better, this is a short flight.

Also, assume you know that one side of the MD's have 2 seats which is a reason we pick this plane often - no middle seat.
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Jan 9, 16, 12:03 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 29
Smile

Originally Posted by bennos View Post
Your question is a little unclear, but I assume what you're saying is "I can leave from any WAS or NYC airport, and I don't care where I go as long as it's on a 717, MD88, MD90, and sub-$400." If so, do you care if you overnight or do you want to do a same day turn? Exact dates would help as well, since "the beginning of July" includes the July 4 holiday, which can either make things really cheap or really expensive.

That said, ex-JFK (not LGA) I'm seeing $284/rt in F to BOS for various itineraries in early July.

Out of NYC MDs go mostly to ATL, DTW, MSP, MSY, and Florida, none of which have F in your price range. Possibly prices will drop as you get closer to departure.

Of course this far out equipment swaps are a possibility.
Thanks for your reply. Your assumptions were right. Ex WAS I could fly last day in June and until 2nd of July. Ex NYC from 4th to 8 of July.

My initial idea was to make a trip from DCA to EWR via ATL oneway, but fares are above USD 700, so I decided it might be better to make a one day return trip from either WAS or NYC.

It is interesting that you wrote that there is a possibility that prices will drop, are you referring to special offers?

And why Mad Dogs? I am an aviation ethusiast and I missed them in Europe and why not in first?
iamamadscientist is offline  
Old Jan 9, 16, 3:51 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hands of Fate
Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Posts: 4,822
Originally Posted by iamamadscientist View Post
It is interesting that you wrote that there is a possibility that prices will drop, are you referring to special offers?
More that this far out pricing seems to be based on "throw it at the wall and see what sticks" rather than actual supply and demand.
bennos is offline  
Old Jan 9, 16, 4:25 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 9,649
By the way, in regard to your SubjectTitle.

Everything here is about DL
Most everyone are FF
And, the vast majority of posts are about "help".

A more descriptive title always helps.
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Jan 10, 16, 11:24 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SLC
Programs: DL, B6, AS
Posts: 339
Originally Posted by iamamadscientist View Post
. . . And why Mad Dogs? I am an aviation ethusiast and I missed them in Europe and why not in first?
I'm a fan of MD 88/90 - can't explain it. If F is too expensive you might consider
26A or 26F on the MD90. Not sure about the MD88.


http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Del...ines_MD-90.php
ACCDraw is offline  
Old Jan 11, 16, 12:26 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by ACCDraw View Post
I'm a fan of MD 88/90 - can't explain it. If F is too expensive you might consider
26A or 26F on the MD90. Not sure about the MD88.


http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Del...ines_MD-90.php
Thanks, so I am sure you understand my intention to fly Mad Dogs.
iamamadscientist is offline  
Old Jan 11, 16, 4:36 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SLC
Programs: DL, B6, AS
Posts: 339
Originally Posted by iamamadscientist View Post
Thanks, so I am sure you understand my intention to fly Mad Dogs.

Yup, and I really like it back over the wings close to the engines.
The center of gravity seems to be further back and rotation feels
as if we're in "lift off"? The sounds, vibrations - it feels lithe, nimble,
more like a sports car (Series I 4.2 XKE Roadster without all the
incipient breakdowns)?

When traveling in the "Sa-outh" (how can I type that wonderful Savannah
drawl ?) I go out of my way to fly Mad Dogs. Way more fun than CRJ's.
I get it.
ACCDraw is offline  
Old Jan 11, 16, 6:40 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 9,649
Originally Posted by iamamadscientist View Post
Thanks, so I am sure you understand my intention to fly Mad Dogs.

Please share with us. Any reason is just fine... just curious and not obvious to most of us.
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Jan 24, 16, 11:44 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by ACCDraw View Post
Yup, and I really like it back over the wings close to the engines.
The center of gravity seems to be further back and rotation feels
as if we're in "lift off"? The sounds, vibrations - it feels lithe, nimble,
more like a sports car (Series I 4.2 XKE Roadster without all the
incipient breakdowns)?

When traveling in the "Sa-outh" (how can I type that wonderful Savannah
drawl ?) I go out of my way to fly Mad Dogs. Way more fun than CRJ's.
I get it.
I got it for USD 377 JFK-DTW-CAK-ATL-JFK.

3 legs with Mad Dogs.
iamamadscientist is offline  
Old Jan 24, 16, 11:04 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SLC
Programs: DL, B6, AS
Posts: 339
Originally Posted by iamamadscientist View Post
I got it for USD 377 JFK-DTW-CAK-ATL-JFK.

3 legs with Mad Dogs.

^^^

Maybe a Mad Dog Trip report or some pics at the very least?
ACCDraw is offline  
Old Jan 26, 16, 1:57 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by ACCDraw View Post
^^^

Maybe a Mad Dog Trip report or some pics at the very least?
Lets hope for new equipment change.

Last edited by iamamadscientist; Jan 26, 16 at 1:57 pm Reason: Typo
iamamadscientist is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: