Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund for illness?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Also check out www.insuremytrip.com for a variety of options. Some insurance covers only travel expenses, others cover only medical expenses, and some policies include both.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:43 pm

This looks like an old thread but I will chime in with my experience. We had flights scheduled in May DCA-PDX in F class. We used money and miles. Recently I found out I was going to need some extensive back surgery and would not be able to travel anytime in the immediate future, actually, maybe never fly again. I secured a letter from my surgeon and submitted the information to Delta. They very generously refunded all of our money back into our credit card account and the mileage back into my mileage account. No fees charged. And they were non-refundable tickets. So I have nothing but good words to say about Delta. They came through and went above and beyond what they had to do. They will always be our airline of choice (assuming I can fly again.). It is nice to see some companies will do the right thing.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I believe Delta's policy is that if you are hospitalized (or a member of your party is), then non-refundable tickets can be refunded. You need to provide the person's name, hospital name, doctor's name, dates of hospitalization, etc.

I did this last year when a party of four of us were going to travel (mostly on separate tickets) to a vacation together, and one member was indeed hospitalized so we cancelled. My ticket was booked with cash. I called up, initially hoping to just get the taxes refunded, learned of the policy, and got a full refund.
Beforehand, the person who was hospitalized had already cancelled his ticket, which was a mileage ticket, and paid the $150 change fee, as he is not Platinum. When I learned about the hospitalization waiver policy, we called back, and Delta was happy to refund the $150. This is very pro-consumer.
[Note: Delta did not ask us to sign a HIPAA waiver, so Delta was not trying, at least in this instance, to verify the information, but we were prepared to do so. I suppose if someone were to use the policy sufficiently, Delta would want to verify the information.]
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
There is some chance that Delta will give you a credit for the full amount you paid. They'll decide at the time.
Yes it is possible. I had multiple trips booked and was in a motorcycle accident. I didn’t get a refund but got full credit for each one and have since used them up. I was in the hospital at the time I requested.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: LH, DL
DL requesting documentation

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I didn’t get a refund but got full credit for each one and have since used them up.
A patient got $$ credit placed in their account by just calling about an illness without documentation required.

However, a letter documenting inability to travel for medical reasons was required to use the credit some months later.

Since the patient never informed us about the illness, I could not write the letter. Thus the money was lost.

So it might be prudent to let your clinician know, even just a email, that you are cancelling a flight for medical reasons even if DL does not ask up front.

Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GMTmin8

A patient got $$ credit placed in their account by just calling about an illness without documentation required.

However, a letter documenting inability to travel for medical reasons was required to use the credit some months later.

Since the patient never informed us about the illness, I could not write the letter. Thus the money was lost.

So it might be prudent to let your clinician know, even just a email, that you are cancelling a flight for medical reasons even if DL does not ask up front.

Sounds like a case of HUACA was needed. If they wanted one it would've been requested when cancelling.

I'm curious if pt cancelled and then brought up illness when going to rebook so as to not be charged.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: LH, DL
Originally Posted by flyerCO
... I'm curious if pt cancelled and then brought up illness when going to rebook so as to not be charged.
Illness was used as the cause of cancellation as it was a non refundable ticket. Type of illness would not require hospitalization or doctor visit, but would making flying very unpleasant. The attempt at rebooking was many months later. The entire ticket cost was lost.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GMTmin8

Illness was used as the cause of cancellation as it was a non refundable ticket. Type of illness would not require hospitalization or doctor visit, but would making flying very unpleasant. The attempt at rebooking was many months later. The entire ticket cost was lost.
I think might be misunderstanding what I was meaning. Are you sure they actually told them when cancelling that it was illness? Is it possible they just cancelled the ticket and then when calling to use it for a new one at that point brought up illness. You can cancel a ticket online without ever speaking to someone and reuse it. If they did tell them it was illness when cancelling then either 1)they were told to get documentation but didn't or 2)HUACA was in order with the agent when calling to rebook.

I've had to do #2 before because the agent didn't understand that DL either requests the info at time of cancellation or doesn't request it. Supervisor had to explain to him you can't demand documentation after the fact if it wasn't requested in the first place.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If it's a non-refundable ticket and you just cancel, they don't put any sort of credit in your account.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
They gave me a full flight credit (minus the usual penalty), not a refund, for a surgery that prevented me from traveling that included a doctor's note.

Last edited by rdurlabhji; Apr 30, 2018 at 12:06 am Reason: clarify
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
In 2014, my in-laws were to travel back from Manila with us. My mother-in-law had surgery and was not going to be able to travel. Delta took the hospital/doctor information and gave them both credits and waived the change fees. Used the extra value for 1st class LAX-SFO.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
They gave me a full flight credit (minus the usual penalty), not a refund, for a surgery that prevented me from traveling that included a doctor's note.
Confused? If they took the penalty then they didn't do anything special for you. Unless this was a BE ticket that wasn't changeable, you can always pay a penalty and use the funds for a new ticket.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sethb
If it's a non-refundable ticket and you just cancel, they don't put any sort of credit in your account.
It'll show up in your My Wallet as an e-credit to be used for future booking.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:26 am

Hurt my knee quite badly in London and the agent was nice enough to move my travel dates on my mileage ticket, even though it was within the 72-hour no changes/cancellation window.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It'll show up in your My Wallet as an e-credit to be used for future booking.
non-refundable means there is no value to become a credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.