Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby - Coterminal (LGA/JFK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

Hi all, i'm flying from SYR to JFK tomorrow evening and am trying to get on the 7:30 a.m. flight to LGA. I know that officially the policy is that only diamonds can do a co-terminal same day standby, but is it something that the gate agent has wiggle room on? The next JFK flight is at 11:30 a.m., so I don't want to go to the airport at 6 a.m., only to have to wait until 11:30 at an airport without a lounge.

Any recent experience one way or the other?

Thanks
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

Very seriously doubt that will happen.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:10 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I'm not even sure we DMs have a SDStandyby co-terminal benefit. SDConfirmed - yes (unofficially/unpublished).

Do we?

Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm not even sure we DMs have a SDStandyby co-terminal benefit. SDConfirmed - yes (unofficially/unpublished).

Do we?

Yes, for diamonds. I've done this DCA/IAD. Gate agents can also do this if flight is oversold.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Smyrnaflyer
Yes, for diamonds. I've done this DCA/IAD. Gate agents can also do this if flight is oversold.
Cool to know! Thanx! I might need it on Thursday for EWR -->LGA!
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
With no status on Delta this is highly unlikely and I would not suggest you risk spending 6 hours at the airport. You could call and ask, but chances are that you will be charged the $200 change fee plus fare difference.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
With no status on Delta this is highly unlikely and I would not suggest you risk spending 6 hours at the airport. You could call and ask, but chances are that you will be charged the $200 change fee plus fare difference.
I am delta gold if it changes your opinion!!
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Gate agents have wide discretion. I've done AUS to SAT changes before without issue despite not even being coterminals.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:12 am
Original Poster

I am on my way to LGA!!! Thanks everyone
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Yes, it would have!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:21 am

Do let us know if you cleared standby, and any other logistical details to complete the story!

Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
I am on my way to LGA!!! Thanks everyone
^^
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
Do let us know if you cleared standby, and any other logistical details to complete the story!

hi, sorry for delay - it wasn't perfect b/c I got the airport in time for a 6:45 a.m. flight to JFK, and while there I asked if I could take the flight to LGA an hour later - and they put me on no problem. In a perfect world, I would have gotten an extra hour of sleep - but figured it was safer to do it this way, than to risk having to wait from 7 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. for the next JFK flight.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Review the rules for diamonds. Class of service has to be same or higher. I've tried to change from BWI to DCA a couple times, seats were for sale and all, but denied because the class booked was lower than all available classes. I'm DM.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by fjord
Review the rules for diamonds. Class of service has to be same or higher. I've tried to change from BWI to DCA a couple times, seats were for sale and all, but denied because the class booked was lower than all available classes. I'm DM.
The rules, as published, are the same for Diamonds. Co-terminal is an unpublished benefit.

I believe co-terminal works for SDS if you don't have checked baggage, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.