PDX-SEA - Cleared 3 days early
SEA-DTW - Last person on list to get upgrade
DTW-FLL - NO

Jan 15:
FLL-ATL - NO
ATL-PDX - NO
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by yohanson
14 segments so far and I've missed the upgrade on about 1/3 of my flights. I think I've connected on every one of my flights except a couple of trips to SFO. The rest have been through LAX, SLC and SEA and I believe all have been on Mondays and Fridays.

Anyone have an opinion on upgrade chances between Sunday and Monday as well as Thursday and Friday? I might adjust my schedule if Sun-Thu is better as far as upgrades.
Not sure if it's the same for MSP (IIRC that's where you're based?), but I've seen minimal difference between Sunday PM and Monday AM out of ATL. Equally difficult for UGs. Monday PM has been quite easy on the same routes for me, though. I go basically the same three places all the time, always Sun/Mon to Thurs/Fri.

No difference for me on Thurs/Friday afternoons home either. I've heard some of the very late flights back to ATL are easier because they don't connect to as many onward flights, but I always avoid the late flights in order to get home earlier.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by gooselee
Not sure if it's the same for MSP (IIRC that's where you're based?), but I've seen minimal difference between Sunday PM and Monday AM out of ATL. Equally difficult for UGs. Monday PM has been quite easy on the same routes for me, though. I go basically the same three places all the time, always Sun/Mon to Thurs/Fri.

No difference for me on Thurs/Friday afternoons home either. I've heard some of the very late flights back to ATL are easier because they don't connect to as many onward flights, but I always avoid the late flights in order to get home earlier.
Yes, MSP. I've been leaving Monday afternoons or later. I usually fly back late morning or early afternoon on Friday. I may switch it up and try Sun-Thu in the near future.

Last week I flew out at 7:30 PM with a connection in SLC on my way to SMF. I was upgraded at the gate for SLC and in advance for SMF. Delta decided to hold our MSP flight for 24 connecting pax. We touched down at the exact time my SMF flight departed, which was 7 minutes early for SLC-SMF. I guess I wasn't as important as the 24 pax they held my flight for. They took care of me and immediately upgraded me for the first flight out the next morning. The point I'm trying to make is leaving that late on a Monday in the winter might not be the smartest even if the upgrade chances are better. Sunday afternoon might be a better choice for me.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond, MAR&HLT Gold, Wyndham Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
10 of 16 seats open for PBI-LGA at 5 day window. No one upgraded. Ended up 5 of 21 for 4 seats and missing upgrade. PM on a U fare.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold
1/26 LAX-MCO (X) #1 for 0 seats....
2/1 MCO-LAX (S) At the gate. Bonus: Kate Upton in 5A, me in 6A...
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL GM
1/31: OAK-LAX (X) #1 for 1 seat. Just as the gate agent was processing the upgrade, the captain comes out, "4C is broken, can you move them into an open seat?".

Missed it due to a broken seat. Didn't really matter since its such a short flight.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by yaychemistry
1/31: OAK-LAX (X) #1 for 1 seat. Just as the gate agent was processing the upgrade, the captain comes out, "4C is broken, can you move them into an open seat?".

Missed it due to a broken seat. Didn't really matter since its such a short flight.
The timing is annoying. If you'd received the upgrade, then lost it to the broken seat, you'd probably get some miles for that.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Weirdest thing. Within an 8 day period I was on 2 different flights with multiple empty seats in FC. Presumably everyone that could be upgraded was ...

Sunday midday ATL-CUN on a 757. I think there was an entire empty row in C+ as well. Partly the time/route, partly some pax being stuck in snow in the NE.

Monday midday IND-LGA on CRJ-900. This one was most definitely the route/time. very light load.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I'm going BWI-ATL-HOU and return Thursday and Saturday, which meant that my upgrades were processed while I was still a DM. I got both upgrades for Thursday, and got upgraded on the second flight on Saturday. Still 9 out of 16 MD-88 F seats open HOU-ATL.

I got an interesting ticket for the end of February; my net cost was $656.00 (after using a $600.00 bump voucher) for a W fare DCA-ATL-LHR, returning DUB-CDG-JFK-DCA (this features the A380 on the TATL portion). I'm in premium economy on both TATL legs (VS eastbound, AF westbound), and have a full Y fare on the two domestic segments. I'm not sure where they'll seat me DUB-CDG on CityJet. On those flights, it has been my experience that they serve a full meal and beverage service in the first couple of rows of the plane. I'm curious where I'll end up on the upgrade lists on these flights.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Flying BWI-ATL-LAX Monday 2/8

Yesterday BWI - ATL cleared

I applied a RUC for ATL - LAX as it has lie flat seats - last week with 16 open. Normally wouldn't care too much, but it is Super Bowl Monday, and I'd love a nap

Put on the waitlist.

Still waiting and down to 6 seats open.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
MLK Weekend DCA-SLC-JAC (2 on PNR)
DCA-SLC (K) Upgraded with RUC month in advance
SLC-JAC (K) No UG (Family had 6 of the 9 seats in F on a C700)
JAC-SLC (V) Upgraded with RUC month in advance
SLC-DCA (V) Upgraded at gate (RUC applied), we were 1+2 for 4 available seats, 40+ on UG list. RUC was the game changer here.

All of my other fights this year have so far been on paid F. Taking full advantage of FCM. ($600 F ticket DCA-MSP-SEA RT last week)
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Currently at 11/12 for the year with 8 of those coming at the DM window. Also two flights on CRJ-200, but fortunately those are 167 mile flights DAY-DTW.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Upcoming Trip:

2/5 DCA-DTW: No upgrade yet
2/5 DTW-LEX: Not upgrade eligible
2/7 LEX-ATL: No upgrade yet
2/7 ATL-IAD: Upgraded 6 days out
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
DL IME has seemed to up the FCM for 2016. Last three flights had 0, 2, and 0 ppl get the UG at the gate. I also know no one cleared at any of the EUA windows. On two of those flights I heard pax at the gate bragging about buying FC for $100...

This is first time in awhile I was not UG'd on B fares as a DM.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
UG Days are Dead

Good thread. I now kayak for F. I think UG's are a thing of the past so I've moved on. Look for #1 the best F fare on DL/UA/AA from Msp. DL far more expensive most of the time but some bright spots (secret!). Then look for the best premium economy (general term for C+;E+etc) and schedule. But I think if DM's are struggling in MSP my how the rest are doing? Again a different time now. Get your best schedule and C+ etc and buy up if you want F. The FF program helps with free trips for families or with the wife and for IROPS etc but UG days are dead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.