Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"You Can Only Have the Rolls That Came with Your Meal"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"You Can Only Have the Rolls That Came with Your Meal"?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Question "You Can Only Have the Rolls That Came with Your Meal"?

Just got off Delta 616 NRT-MSP today and had a new experience. I was flying Delta One and had ordered VLMLspecial meals (by the way, the quality has gone way downhill. The mains were barely edible ). Anyway, on this flight, the FA serving our side of the cabin was slow and not really doing a good job of the service. During the appetizer course, I specifically told her that I'd like extra bread with my main (fully expecting another essentially inedible main, based on my outbound flight). When she finally got around to bringing out the inedible glop, there were the usual two crappy cellophane wrapped rolls they put on the vegetarian trays. I ignored those and kind of picked at my main, waiting for bread to appear. She finally returned to clear away my tray and I told her I was indeed done and asked her why she hadn't done a bread service. She assured me that she did do a bread service, but I wasn't eligible because I had to eat the special "vegetarian bread" that was provided on my tray. In fact she was rather arrogant about it - almost like "how dare presume to ask for 'real' food!" I wasn't going to make a federal case of it, but I was pretty shocked. Generally speaking, she seemed to have a rather passive-aggressive poor attitude throughout the flight. I'm surprised I was allowed to have an ice cream sundae for dessert!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:36 pm

All I can say is:

Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Submit a complaint for substandard business class service you received via the TTU link on DL website.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
She may have been under Dr's orders to make sure you stayed on your diet.

It was for your own good!

LOL!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:11 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
The above video:

I can assure you, this menu has been "specially devised for the difficult"!

LUVIT!!!

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Anyway, on this flight, the FA serving our side of the cabin was slow and not really doing a good job of the service.

When she finally got around to bringing out the inedible glop, there were the usual two crappy cellophane wrapped rolls
You must've UG'ed with a GUC, right?!?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Good grief. I don't eat bread, but if I did I certainly would not have taken that from her, especially not in Delta One.

1) I would have gotten out of my seat, walked to the galley and asked for a couple of rolls
2) After the meal service I would have asked to speak to the purser and politely informed him of my disappointment in the meal service, the food and the FA
3) I would have followed up post flight with a complaint email
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
On my last ride up front TATL on the Big D, ATL-CDG in December 2014, I did the trip bass ackward; I had a couple drinks in the E SkyClub, scored two PDB champagnes on board, and slept the first 4 hours or so. The FA saw me wake up and rushed over to me and offered me dinner. I didn't want the short rib special of the month, so she put together a bunch of the "small plates", which were each great, and she offered me seconds, basically all I could eat. I could have had a number of "pot de cremes".

Some years ago, like 25 or so, I was on a Royal Service flight (remember those?) upfront ATL-SFO. The FA refused my request for an extra sausage link, even though she had a whole plate of them, and pretty much everyone else in F had been served (those were the days that they plated your meal at your seat).

So I've been on both sides of this issue. I like the way I was treated ATL-CDG better.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BackOfTheBus
I don't get it - "Missing plug-in"?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:28 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I don't get it - "Missing plug-in"?
Click on "YouTube" at the top of the box.

Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Normally BE/D1 is catered with an excess of rolls in the bread basket. Usually FAs offer the bread basket at least twice and it always seems full with all types of rolls available even for seconds. It's hard to imagine how a FA imagined that it would be harmful to allow you a regular roll upon request.

I sometimes ask for a roll with my cheese course and I've never been denied.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ND76
On my last ride up front TATL on the Big D, ATL-CDG in December 2014, I did the trip bass ackward; I had a couple drinks in the E SkyClub, scored two PDB champagnes on board, and slept the first 4 hours or so. The FA saw me wake up and rushed over to me and offered me dinner. I didn't want the short rib special of the month, so she put together a bunch of the "small plates", which were each great, and she offered me seconds, basically all I could eat. I could have had a number of "pot de cremes".

Some years ago, like 25 or so, I was on a Royal Service flight (remember those?) upfront ATL-SFO. The FA refused my request for an extra sausage link, even though she had a whole plate of them, and pretty much everyone else in F had been served (those were the days that they plated your meal at your seat).

So I've been on both sides of this issue. I like the way I was treated ATL-CDG better.
Yes, I do remember (and miss) the Royal Service (and early days BusinessEite) service, where items were plated and served, rather than just running trolley's up the aisles and pulling out trays. Of course, it does mean they can do the service faster, and with fewer FAs. To those who suggested that I should have gone and fetched my own bread, or brought the issue up with the purser - to be honest, I'm just used to things happening "automatically", and I don't pay much attention to them unless they don't happen, by which time it's usually too late for me to really care. As for chatting with the purser, I'm not sure I see how that would have helped matters much. By then, the major interaction was done, and all I wanted to do was sleep.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
Click on "YouTube" at the top of the box.

OMG Too Good!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Sometimes I feel like we need some SJD (...... job done) certificates in addition to our JWDs.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's hard to imagine how a FA imagined that it would be harmful to allow you a regular roll upon request.
It's that motherly instinct we all know and love.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.