Picking a seat (Delta One, Boeing 777)

Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, CX Marco Polo, Occasionally flies NK
Picking a seat (Delta One, Boeing 777)

I'm kind of stuck and was wondering if anybody can speak from experience.
I'm on a red-eye on a Delta 777 in Delta One.
I love little cabins but I'm concerned because Delta has the little cabin adjacent to the main cabin (opposed to CX's 777s with First and AA's 77W).
I went with 12A but I'm considering 10A or 11A, or flying in the larger Delta One cabin because I'm afraid of the noise from the main cabin.
Can anybody tell me if there are bassinets in the very first row of the main cabin?
Can anybody who has been on a red-eye on a Delta 777 in 12 tell me if I should be worried?

Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You may have more luck with this question in the Delta forum (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-skymiles-665/), as opposed to Travel Products which is more for things like luggage. I'm going to alert a moderator to consider moving this thread over there.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:36 am

Can't go wrong with 7 A/D. Best ones IMHO.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
7A is the best seat on the airplane.

12A is similar but hard to get to the bathroom as you have to cut through the galley.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
True story: So I used to be a cynic and "HAD" to have either 2A/D or 3A/D on the 777. Others recommended 7A/D and I tried it, now I will GO OUT OF MY WAY to get either of those seats. For me, the BEST D1 seat(s) on the plane, no question.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
7/A or 7/D without a doubt.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
You may have more luck with this question in the Delta forum (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-skymiles-665/), as opposed to Travel Products which is more for things like luggage. I'm going to alert a moderator to consider moving this thread over there.
Thanks. I was thinking about it. Thought maybe Delta/SkyMiles refers just to the mileage program and Travel Producs would include airline products.
Most Delta questions go here.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

I wonder if people like 7A/D…
They're open so why not
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:09 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I recently flew NRT to LAX, and had 7A, as usual, on the B777. When I boarded, someone was in my seat. Turns out that he was supposed to be in 6A, and was confused for some reason. He asked me if I simply wanted to trade. I declined, and went into a big speech about not wanting to seem snooty, and apologized because I made him move all his stuff, etc. but, oh well!

Take 7A! It's a tad more private, because it's kind of back in the corner. You won't regret it!
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: -- DL DM, MR Lifetime TE, HH Diamond, National Something???
My wife and I flew ATL-JNB in November and we took seats 7A and 6B. She loved the 7A seat and refused to split the time with me even though we had agreed to each spend half the flight in that seat laughing

Only thing we noticed was that 7A we had read had a small closet but we did not find it. There is a small closet right behind 6B but the FA said it was not for passenger use.

7A or 7D is the way to go
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
I recently flew NRT to LAX, and had 7A, as usual, on the B777. When I boarded, someone was in my seat. Turns out that he was supposed to be in 6A, and was confused for some reason. He asked me if I simply wanted to trade. I declined, and went into a big speech about not wanting to seem snooty, and apologized because I made him move all his stuff, etc. but, oh well!

Take 7A! It's a tad more private, because it's kind of back in the corner. You won't regret it!
The last time that happened to me, the poacher had very deliberately grabbed 7A from me. I had to involve the GA to get the guy evicted, where of course he moved his stuff as slowly as possible all the while abusing me verbally about how all the (expletive deleted) seats were the same and going to arrive at the same time, so how could I be such an (expletive deleted) to insist on the seat I had reserved? Unfortunately he wasn't booted from the flight. BTW, his seat was 12C, so no way was he simply confused, although I guess the good news was that he wasn't a coach customer trying to steal his way into BE.

I really doubt that your Mr 6A had made an honest mistake. Somehow no one ever seems to take 6A when they're really in 7A, then offering to just switch seats with the rightful owner. It's the same prinicple as how those who beg to switch seats in order to sit together always seem to somehow try to swap the worst of their assigned seats for a much better seat.

Color me cynical about incidents where someone mistakenly sits in the wrong seat.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:19 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I really doubt that your Mr 6A had made an honest mistake.

Color me cynical about incidents where someone mistakenly sits in the wrong seat.
Well, at first, I was also skeptical. I think, because the middle seats are kind of staggered, and if you go by the middle seat number placards, it's a mistake that could be made.

That said, my argument was, that, for an 11ish hour flight, the FAs would be confusing our names and requests on their meal manifests, etc. . . . not to mention that I neeeeeeeeed my FlyerTalk DYKWIA Di~ya~mond Medallion status recognition!

The truth is that, 7A is really only marginally better than 6A - a tad more privacy - - but it's WAAAAAAAY better than any of the middle section seats!
Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Lane412000
Only thing we noticed was that 7A we had read had a small closet but we did not find it. There is a small closet right behind 6B but the FA said it was not for passenger use.

7A or 7D is the way to go
7A and 7D don't have a small closet but do have extra storage space behind the seat. The empty space behind the seat (sorta back right for 7A and back left for 7D) is where the footwell would be if there was another seat behind 7A/D but since there's no seat there, there's empty space. One of the benefits to that seat (which I've only had once). But you can put your pillows and blanket there rather than in the OH bin or at your footwell or other stuff.

**Pretty sure I'm remembering that correctly. My one flight in 7D was 6 years ago).

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Dec 31, 2015 at 5:58 pm Reason: Typo Correction
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
7 A or D. Mods, lock the thread. its unanimous.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:53 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
7 A or D. Mods, lock the thread. its unanimous.
haha!

Yep. I have been lucky to have 7A or 7D on all of my 777 flights where I have been in J.

If you have to be stuck in Y.....29A is the world's best Y seat, period. So good in fact, that even if my GUCs don't clear for my LAX-NRT-LAX flight next month I won't even be that upset. those bulkhead seats on the 777 are really really comfy.

Did a few MRs to DXB last year, and to JNB....and visited Tokyo....lol....so I've been on these birds quite a bit in the last two years!

Last edited by 355F1; Dec 31, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.