Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How in the heck did someone get their hands on 200 Delta drink coupons?

Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Formally TPAbound/Delta Diamond 1MM/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Silver/Priority Club Gold

Hi FTr's,

Just scratching my head here. I was browsing ebay and "sold" Delta auctions. I found this seller who had to have up to 200 Delta drink coupons. They've been selling them since October 2015 (6 coupons for $21).

I'll put the link below. If you glance at the pics, you'll see the majority of the coupons were still shrink wrapped in cellophane. This person banked over $500. If you click on "24 sold" you can see the history.

Their shipping location is Spivey, Kansas. Perhaps the coupons were purchased through Skybonus?

dd1612 could be right about the coupons from Skybonus. Pretty lucrative way to make use of the coupons. Perhaps one of the reasons for all the Skybonus changes.

The "Description" seems like BS to me.

Actually, went back a little further on their ebay i.d. and they've been selling the coupons the whole 2015 year. Banking even more than $500.

ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Drink-...p2047675.l2557

Travel safe,

Last edited by babe11; Dec 27, 2015 at 5:35 am Reason: Additional information
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
cashing in SkyBonus points for Drink Coupons?

IMO:
Not every thing should be perceived to be illegal ie theft?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Formally TPAbound/Delta Diamond 1MM/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Silver/Priority Club Gold
The Skybonus coupons are certainly possible. Anyone who's ordered those....do the coupons look like the ebay pic's? I've only ordered Skybonus Skyclub passes.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could be from SkyBonus (yes they do look like those), but I doubt it. Aren't the Sky Clubs and Red Coats supplied with a stock of these? Pretty easy for packs of them to "disappear" somewhere along the distribution process. Anyone else notice the December 31, 2015 expiration date on them?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
I sat next to a red coat who was traveling and she had a pack exactly like this. I still have one card. I bet this is the source.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:43 am
Original Poster

So, just went back on their ebay "sold" pages (12 pages) and 90% of sales were Delta drink coupons.

149 sold transactions x $21 average price = $4,032.

Jeeezzz. Seems pretty sketchy to me.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:53 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Maybe RA has a little side biz goin'
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by orca15
I sat next to a red coat who was traveling and she had a pack exactly like this. I still have one card. I bet this is the source.
Given that they are serialized (and therefor traceable back to said red-coat), I will gladly take the other side of your bet,
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Those do match the SkyBonus coupons. 149 transactions for 6 coupons each is just short of 900 coupons. They run 10k SkyBonus points for 10 coupons, so the guy could have redeemed 900k SkyBonus points. It's not inconceivable that he/his company earned that many... with earning rates up to 30 points/$1 for premium fares, 900k points could be earned with $30k of premium travel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.