Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Certainly not just Delta and not even just airlines. We cruise several times a year and have seen more and more emotional support pets. I will never forget the first time I saw a woman being wheeled around a ship with a tiny little terrier on her lap, that obviously had no training as any kind of service animal. Her family was very proud that they had beaten the system by getting some baloney certification for the dog.

The cruise lines allow it for the same reason the airlines do. They don't want a PR mess over one dog, and try know that the public won't see the difference between this and a true service animal. It will have to get completely out of hand before it gets better.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by huskerchad
Flew IND-ATL with a large dog today. He laid across the exit row at the feet of other passengers because he was far too large to go under the seat. Absolutely not a service dog. The ADA does not require this. Delta simply allows it.
How can a dog be allowed in an exit row? In fact, a person traveling with someone else with a pet or service animal shouldn't be in the exit row just as someone traveling with children cannot occupy an exit row seat even if the kids are seated elsewhere. In an emergency, the person's first priority would be to save the animal and the animal would prevent others from using the exit quickly.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by zitsky
The only way I want an animal in the exit row is if it's a seeing eye dog and it can lead it's owner and the rest of us out in an emergency. Emotional support animal should not be there. And if you need an ESA, will you be calm enough to assist in an emergency?
Someone who is blind isn't allowed to be seated in an exit row. They can't read the emergency card or the instructions on how to open the emergency exit.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow
If the dog is eating, it should have been charged the admission fee unless the owner has an Executive membership.
Please tell me you are joking[/QUOTE]
Don't you want DL to make money by charging animals the SC guest fees? I'm trying to increase the value of your stock holdings and you're complaining? Do you travel with an entire menagerie that you proceed to bring into the lounge and feed all the "free" food?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Someone who is blind isn't allowed to be seated in an exit row. They can't read the emergency card or the instructions on how to open the emergency exit.
Yea, I kinda know that. The joke was about the dog.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM
Wow, that's quite a "therapy pet" in Delta comfort.

http://i.imgur.com/7hMsbW1.jpg

I hope all the seatmates all got along together. Must have been a helluva flight!

credit to reddit user "biggestlittlepickle" for this one...
http://i.imgur.com/7hMsbW1.jpghttps:...e_just_posted/
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: delta dm
Thanksgiving dinner???
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bethechange
http://i.imgur.com/7hMsbW1.jpg

I hope all the seatmates all got along together. Must have been a helluva flight!

credit to reddit user "biggestlittlepickle" for this one...
http://i.imgur.com/7hMsbW1.jpghttps:...e_just_posted/
I can't....
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:30 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by huskerchad
The cruise lines allow it for the same reason the airlines do. They don't want a PR mess over one dog, and try know that the public won't see the difference between this and a true service animal. It will have to get completely out of hand before it gets better.
America has turned into a bunch of I-don't-want-to-get-negative-publicity-or-sued puxxxies.

And the disability-act ADA or whatever is literally the most abused thing by people wanting to game the system who have no true disabilities.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:39 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by seowitz
Before boarding my SLC-SEA flight I came across a woman who had a full grown, live turkey as a service animal (2 years old). She had just flown from SEA-SLC. She had said that the turkey flew on her lap on the flight, not in it's own seat. I unfortunately did not ask if she was in Y or F.

What other "emotional support companions" have you seen on flights where the pet was on the passenger's lap, not in it's own seat?
Sent this to my friend. Her response was classic:

"Well, I guess in case of an emergency you could eat it."

BaaaaHahahahahah!!!! 😂😂😂😂
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I must admit that I have met some real turkeys on DL flights, but....

(Someone had to say it... )
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:47 am

Well what do you know--it turns out turkeys CAN fly!

Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Perhaps it's the new fresh poultry offering in F......
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: Show me the points!
I would lose it if I had to sit next to that thing. Absolutely lose it.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
There was an awkward silence when the passenger heading to 11B boarded the plane with his emotional support bobcat.

Then... chaos ensued!

(Where is Gary Larson when you need him? )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.