Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by fjord
Not sure if this fits the DYKWIA bill but I'll post it anyway. Right now I'm in the JFK SC. There is a guy with a little dog, took it out of the crate, put it on the fabric chair next to him, and started feeding him pieces of food taken from the breakfast bar, like a boss. Barf.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you report this to the dragons? If the dog is a pet, it isn't allowed to be out of the carrier or unleashed in a SC. If the dog is eating, it should have been charged the admission fee unless the owner has an Executive membership.
Agreed - this is just plain wrong.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:56 am
Suspended

This guy shouldn't have put the dog on the chair, but I'd be OK with airports having more dogs and fewer people.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Did you report this to the dragons? If the dog is a pet, it isn't allowed to be out of the carrier or unleashed in a SC. If the dog is eating, it should have been charged the admission fee unless the owner has an Executive membership.
I didn't. Stink eye given and acknowledged. I saw at least couple more stink eyes being thrown his way and the dog was removed about a minute later. Pup was relocated to his lap. Acceptable.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by fjord
I didn't. Stink eye given and acknowledged. I saw at least couple more stink eyes being thrown his way and the dog was removed about a minute later. Pup was relocated to his lap. Acceptable.
I love dogs, but a dog out of a carrier (unless legitimate service dog) in an airport or on a plane is unacceptable.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Did you report it to the Health Department?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
it should have been charged the admission fee unless the owner has an Executive membership.
What if it was a pup that was under 2 years old?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
What if it was a pup that was under 2 years old?
IMO if it's eating people food supplied by the lounge and taking a seat, it should pay.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
IMO if it's eating people food supplied by the lounge and taking a seat, it should pay.
IMO if it's running loose (= out of a cage) in the lounge the Health Department should shut them down and confiscate it.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 6:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
IMO if it's running loose (= out of a cage) in the lounge the Health Department should shut them down and confiscate it.
Maybe we need a DYKWMDI = "Do You Know Who My Dog Is?" thread here.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
False,
Only has to be in crate on plane
What is wrong with what he did
Seems like poster is the DYKWIM
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond,1.8 MM; AA Gold
Originally Posted by BeatCal
False,
From delta.com Sky Club Rules
Pet Policy

Delta Sky Club pet policy mirrors the Pets As Carry On policy outlined on delta.com. Pets permitted in Delta Sky Club include dogs, cats and household birds. Monkeys, rabbits, pot-bellied pigs, reptiles, frogs, mice, rats, sugar gliders and spiders are not permitted. Pets must be at least 8 weeks old and must remain inside the kennel with the door secured at all times.
Below are guidelines for service and emotional support animals.
Animal must be trained to behave properly in public settings and follow the direction of its owner
Animals must be clean and under the customer’s control at all times
No animals are allowed to occupy seats that are designed for passengers
Animals should not eat or drink from Delta Sky Club service ware
Animals may not engage in disruptive behavior such as roam freely, barking, growling or biting
Animal must be placed on the floor while at the food bar
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:01 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BeatCal
False,
I think the dog was out of the carrier in the club. That's neither polite to others nor is it absolutely sanitary.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:45 am

IMHO, dog owners in general have a grossly exaggerated idea of what is appropriate. They think everyone just loves dogs and they don't understand why people have an issue with their saliva and germs (and poo). I like dogs, but they don't belong in a lounge unless in a carrier.

Yes, I'm a cat owner and you won't see my cats drooling over the food in the lounge. They'll be at home where they belong.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Originally Posted by United747
I think the dog was out of the carrier in the club. That's neither polite to others nor is it absolutely sanitary.
Agree x100
Old Dec 24, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by United747
Nor is it permitted by the Health Code.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.