Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:41 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by ctbjr1309
We flew from SEA to BOI with Easter on Dec. 23. I must admit to having been amused and entertained. It was particularly interesting to see how Easter navigated the airport - in a wheelchair. Those of you inclined to carefully review her Facebook page will see for yourselves.
WOAH!!!!! No way! 😂😂😂😂^^^^^
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:50 pm

What does a turkey smell like, and does it stay quiet on the plane? Is it a Heritage turkey?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; IC Plat; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by zitsky
What does a turkey smell like, and does it stay quiet on the plane? Is it a Heritage turkey?
Can't speak to smell as I was in last row of F and Easter was in front row of Delta Comfort+. It was extraordinarily well behaved. I wouldn't have known it was there if not for the attention it received from other passengers. A Heritage turkey? No clue. Sorry but perhaps the attached will help.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ctbjr1309; Jan 11, 2016 at 7:45 pm
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by ctbjr1309
Can't speak to smell as I was in last row of F and Easter was in front row of Delta Comfort+. It was extraordinarily well behaved. I wouldn't have known it was there if it were not for the attention it received from other passengers. A Heritage turkey? No clue. Sorry but perhaps the attached will help.
Thanks. Google heritage turkey and you'll see what I'm talking about. They taste better than regular turkeys, LOL.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Ahhh, an emotional-support-bird-dog might enjoy this flight.

But the wheel-chair for something with wings?
Assume it was to keep turkey tender.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
From DL:
Emotional Support Animals and Psychiatric Service Animals

Delta complies with the Air Carrier Access Act by allowing customers traveling with emotional support animals or psychiatric service animals to travel without charge with the following conditions:

Acceptance Guidelines

May or may not be trained to perform observable functions. However, the animal must be trained to behave properly in public settings as service animals do.
WRT to training of service animals:
Under most circumstances, we do not require passengers using trained service animals to provide additional documentation. However, it is expected that a service animal behave in public and follow the direction of its owner. In the rare event the animal doesn’t behave, we may ask you additional questions about the training of your animal.
How does one train a turkey?
Is being housebroken part of being well behaved? If so, how do you potty train a turkey or does it wear a diaper?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
The inmates are clearly running the asylum
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
If someone with an emotional support turkey ends up seated next to someone with meleagrisphobia... who gets moved?

Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by nikitta28
The inmates are clearly running the asylum
This. The unintended consequences of well-meaning regulations.

David
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I love dogs, but a dog out of a carrier (unless legitimate service dog) in an airport or on a plane is unacceptable.
What really gets me is that I am ine of those people with severe allergies to animals. They will clear the plane of peanuts if a person is registered with a peanut allergy is on the plane but they don't have a system that can block seats around either a registered allergy sufferer or notate seats with furballs.

Instead I have to ask the GA at each flight if there are animals in the row before, after or with me. If there are then I am the one that has to move, not the allergen.

Well, at least Delta has been fine with putting me up in a hotel (twice in the past 18 months) when they could not accommodate a seat change and the next flight was the following morning.

But, again, why bend over backwards for a peanut allergy but nothing to help the pet allergic peeps. For the record, I have had to go to the ER for a reaction, so it is more than just red eye and sneeze and wheeze.

And pet owners...don't assume we are fine with your dog playing around my legs. Keep your animal next to you and let people approach you, not the other way around.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by bethechange
Newspaper article confirming that the photo is real:
NY Daily News:Turkey flies on airliner with passengers as 'emotional support animals' (Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 7:24 PM)
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by mnyakko
What really gets me is that I am ine of those people with severe allergies to animals. They will clear the plane of peanuts if a person is registered with a peanut allergy is on the plane but they don't have a system that can block seats around either a registered allergy sufferer or notate seats with furballs.

Instead I have to ask the GA at each flight if there are animals in the row before, after or with me. If there are then I am the one that has to move, not the allergen.

Well, at least Delta has been fine with putting me up in a hotel (twice in the past 18 months) when they could not accommodate a seat change and the next flight was the following morning.

But, again, why bend over backwards for a peanut allergy but nothing to help the pet allergic peeps. For the record, I have had to go to the ER for a reaction, so it is more than just red eye and sneeze and wheeze.

And pet owners...don't assume we are fine with your dog playing around my legs. Keep your animal next to you and let people approach you, not the other way around.
Peanut allergy means OMG someone is going to die. You seem to be handling this pretty well. I think you're doing the best you can.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by mnyakko
But, again, why bend over backwards for a peanut allergy...
I find this one puzzling, too. How do those with peanut allergies deal with the peanut residue present after peanuts have been dispensed and eaten since the plane came into service?

Is there an allergy to people condition? I've ATL-SFO booked next week on a 767...
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
And it has now made the national news:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/0.../?intcmp=hpbt1
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
And it has now made the national news:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/0.../?intcmp=hpbt1
This is a horrible precedent to set

I was on an Xmas eve flight from SMF-MSP sitting in 2B, the guy in 1A had a doberman-rotweiler mix dog with him that was huge. The lady in 1B was wigging out. It obviously couldn't fit comfortably at his feet. I heard her say "it's gonna smell my cats on me." When he got up to go to the bathroom he left it there and it just stood there and looked at her.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.