Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Did everyone see China Eastern has now moved to Group 1

Did everyone see China Eastern has now moved to Group 1

Old Dec 27, 15, 2:28 pm
  #31  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,334
Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
I think those Detroit have nothing to fear. It doesn't make any sense (financial or otherwise) for DL to send route East Coast to Asia passengers thru Seattle. DL needs 2 Asian gateways, one for the Eastern US and one for the West.

Routing someone from Boston thru Seattle to Asia is silly. Routing someone from San Francisco thru Detroit to Asia is silly.
Then what about Atlanta and New York's J.F.K.? Delta has non-stop flights from those airports to Asia. The same with Los Angeles on the West Coast.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Old Dec 28, 15, 12:39 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SJC
Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Then what about Atlanta and New York's J.F.K.? Delta has non-stop flights from those airports to Asia. The same with Los Angeles on the West Coast.
And PDX too. Just because DTW and SEA are the main Asia gateways, doesn't mean that ALL flights have to go through those cities.
kjnangre is offline  
Old Dec 28, 15, 8:01 am
  #33  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,334
Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
And PDX too. Just because DTW and SEA are the main Asia gateways, doesn't mean that ALL flights have to go through those cities.
I'm guessing the PDX-NRT flight is because of Nike, but I could be wrong.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Old Dec 28, 15, 9:38 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hands of Fate
Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Posts: 4,794
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Then what about Atlanta and New York's J.F.K.? Delta has non-stop flights from those airports to Asia. The same with Los Angeles on the West Coast.
DL has n/s from these airports to Tokyo, and that's it. DTW is also losing its utility for TPAC from the east coast. Example: HKG, which is only accessible from SEA. Departing from NYC, I could fly DL JFK-SEA-HKG, or I could take a non-stop flight on CX with better timings and service, or I could route on JL or NH (again better timings and service) if I wanted a Japan stopover. Why exactly would I fly DL on this route?

On paper, China Eastern is an option, but in practice with a hit-or-miss soft product and (even more critically) PVG as the least reliable transit option, there's just no compelling reason to stay on DL/SkyTeam for NYC based (or really most of the East Coast) TPAC travel.
bennos is offline  
Old Dec 28, 15, 11:02 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York, western US
Programs: DM/2MM
Posts: 4,019
Originally Posted by bennos View Post
DL has n/s from these airports to Tokyo, and that's it. DTW is also losing its utility for TPAC from the east coast. Example: HKG, which is only accessible from SEA.
HKG is still accessible from NRT. Just had a colleague make the JFK-NRT-HKG trip. Or is this service being discontinued? If so, you are right, no one in my office will want to fly through SEA. The only reason they do NRT rather than CX is because of the Skymiles program and that it gets them status for upgrades domestically. DL is making status less valuable through FCM, but that's another matter...though if it wasn't for that pursuit of status, I don't think anyone would take DL from JFK to HKG, even if it was a nonstop.
TrojanTraveler is offline  
Old Dec 28, 15, 1:10 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hands of Fate
Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Posts: 4,794
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler View Post
HKG is still accessible from NRT. Just had a colleague make the JFK-NRT-HKG trip. Or is this service being discontinued?
For my April trip, I am only offered connections via SEA or ICN, with the latter being absurdly overpriced KE codeshares.
bennos is offline  
Old Dec 28, 15, 1:15 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York, western US
Programs: DM/2MM
Posts: 4,019
Originally Posted by bennos View Post
For my April trip, I am only offered connections via SEA or ICN, with the latter being absurdly overpriced KE codeshares.
Interesting. If DL only offers service to HKG via SEA, then that's another city to which I'll be flying on somebody else from JFK.
TrojanTraveler is offline  
Old Dec 28, 15, 1:25 pm
  #38  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 13,290
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler View Post
Interesting. If DL only offers service to HKG via SEA, then that's another city to which I'll be flying on somebody else from JFK.
DL dropped NRT-HKG back on Oct 24, 2014 (I was on the last flight) and closed the HKG FA base. They recently brought it back temporarily for the winter and it alternates with SEA-HKG. They will drop NRT-HKG again at the end of March and go back to flying solely from SEA to HKG..
LBJ is offline  
Old Dec 28, 15, 1:57 pm
  #39  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,334
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
DL dropped NRT-HKG back on Oct 24, 2014 (I was on the last flight) and closed the HKG FA base. They recently brought it back temporarily for the winter and it alternates with SEA-HKG. They will drop NRT-HKG again at the end of March and go back to flying solely from SEA to HKG..
Which means, theoretically, they could bring it back again. Especially with that new Sky Team lounge in Hong Kong.

Personally, I prefer NRT to SEA for making connections to Asia. Take SIN. 12 hours from DTW to NRT and the 8 hours from NRT to SIN. NRT makes a nice almost halfway point to shower, eat and catch up on some work. I would rather do that than sit on a plane for 16 or 17 hours, which I think is going to be the case going forward.

Also, the Delta ground staff at NRT and SIN are incredible. At HKG, it was contract staff, if I recall correctly. Plus, Delta never seemed to value HKG judging by the lousy domestic-configured 757s that it often flew there from NRT.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Old Dec 28, 15, 3:18 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hands of Fate
Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Posts: 4,794
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Which means, theoretically, they could bring it back again. Especially with that new Sky Team lounge in Hong Kong.
I can't imagine the lounge will factor at all into their route planning decisions.

I liked the DTW-HKG flight. The timings were good and DTW is pleasant enough for transfers. I only flew HKG-NRT as part of a stopover in TYO, but with stopovers no longer permitted on award tickets that segment lost its appeal anyway.

Anywho, off to oneworld I go.
bennos is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: