FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Did everyone see China Eastern has now moved to Group 1 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1733008-did-everyone-see-china-eastern-has-now-moved-group-1-a.html)

hockeyinsider Dec 27, 15 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre (Post 25921735)
I think those Detroit have nothing to fear. It doesn't make any sense (financial or otherwise) for DL to send route East Coast to Asia passengers thru Seattle. DL needs 2 Asian gateways, one for the Eastern US and one for the West.

Routing someone from Boston thru Seattle to Asia is silly. Routing someone from San Francisco thru Detroit to Asia is silly.

Then what about Atlanta and New York's J.F.K.? Delta has non-stop flights from those airports to Asia. The same with Los Angeles on the West Coast.

kjnangre Dec 28, 15 1:39 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 25922245)
Then what about Atlanta and New York's J.F.K.? Delta has non-stop flights from those airports to Asia. The same with Los Angeles on the West Coast.

And PDX too. Just because DTW and SEA are the main Asia gateways, doesn't mean that ALL flights have to go through those cities.

hockeyinsider Dec 28, 15 9:01 am

Originally Posted by kjnangre (Post 25924025)
And PDX too. Just because DTW and SEA are the main Asia gateways, doesn't mean that ALL flights have to go through those cities.

I'm guessing the PDX-NRT flight is because of Nike, but I could be wrong.

bennos Dec 28, 15 10:38 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 25922245)

DL has n/s from these airports to Tokyo, and that's it. DTW is also losing its utility for TPAC from the east coast. Example: HKG, which is only accessible from SEA. Departing from NYC, I could fly DL JFK-SEA-HKG, or I could take a non-stop flight on CX with better timings and service, or I could route on JL or NH (again better timings and service) if I wanted a Japan stopover. Why exactly would I fly DL on this route?

On paper, China Eastern is an option, but in practice with a hit-or-miss soft product and (even more critically) PVG as the least reliable transit option, there's just no compelling reason to stay on DL/SkyTeam for NYC based (or really most of the East Coast) TPAC travel.

TrojanTraveler Dec 28, 15 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 25925536)
DL has n/s from these airports to Tokyo, and that's it. DTW is also losing its utility for TPAC from the east coast. Example: HKG, which is only accessible from SEA.

HKG is still accessible from NRT. Just had a colleague make the JFK-NRT-HKG trip. Or is this service being discontinued? If so, you are right, no one in my office will want to fly through SEA. The only reason they do NRT rather than CX is because of the Skymiles program and that it gets them status for upgrades domestically. DL is making status less valuable through FCM, but that's another matter...though if it wasn't for that pursuit of status, I don't think anyone would take DL from JFK to HKG, even if it was a nonstop.

bennos Dec 28, 15 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler (Post 25925956)
HKG is still accessible from NRT. Just had a colleague make the JFK-NRT-HKG trip. Or is this service being discontinued?

For my April trip, I am only offered connections via SEA or ICN, with the latter being absurdly overpriced KE codeshares.

TrojanTraveler Dec 28, 15 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 25926523)
For my April trip, I am only offered connections via SEA or ICN, with the latter being absurdly overpriced KE codeshares.

Interesting. If DL only offers service to HKG via SEA, then that's another city to which I'll be flying on somebody else from JFK.

LBJ Dec 28, 15 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler (Post 25926548)
Interesting. If DL only offers service to HKG via SEA, then that's another city to which I'll be flying on somebody else from JFK.

DL dropped NRT-HKG back on Oct 24, 2014 (I was on the last flight) and closed the HKG FA base. They recently brought it back temporarily for the winter and it alternates with SEA-HKG. They will drop NRT-HKG again at the end of March and go back to flying solely from SEA to HKG..

hockeyinsider Dec 28, 15 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 25926604)
DL dropped NRT-HKG back on Oct 24, 2014 (I was on the last flight) and closed the HKG FA base. They recently brought it back temporarily for the winter and it alternates with SEA-HKG. They will drop NRT-HKG again at the end of March and go back to flying solely from SEA to HKG..

Which means, theoretically, they could bring it back again. Especially with that new Sky Team lounge in Hong Kong.

Personally, I prefer NRT to SEA for making connections to Asia. Take SIN. 12 hours from DTW to NRT and the 8 hours from NRT to SIN. NRT makes a nice almost halfway point to shower, eat and catch up on some work. I would rather do that than sit on a plane for 16 or 17 hours, which I think is going to be the case going forward.

Also, the Delta ground staff at NRT and SIN are incredible. At HKG, it was contract staff, if I recall correctly. Plus, Delta never seemed to value HKG judging by the lousy domestic-configured 757s that it often flew there from NRT.

bennos Dec 28, 15 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 25926761)
Which means, theoretically, they could bring it back again. Especially with that new Sky Team lounge in Hong Kong.

I can't imagine the lounge will factor at all into their route planning decisions.

I liked the DTW-HKG flight. The timings were good and DTW is pleasant enough for transfers. I only flew HKG-NRT as part of a stopover in TYO, but with stopovers no longer permitted on award tickets that segment lost its appeal anyway.

Anywho, off to oneworld I go.