Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Question - LAX - JFK Dec. 26

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

Hi all, I'm new to Delta so don't really know how things work. I am Gold and flying from LAX to JFK on Dec. 26, and was wondering how I can go about upgrading? I know that no one gets complimentary upgrades on that route now, but is there a good chance that I can purchase an update on the day of the flight? Usually, the Delta App gives me a chance to purchase upgrades as soon as a week out. I am willing to pay $300-$400. Any chance that will be the price of an upgrade?

Thanks
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Hi all, I'm new to Delta so don't really know how things work. I am Gold and flying from LAX to JFK on Dec. 26, and was wondering how I can go about upgrading? I know that no one gets complimentary upgrades on that route now, but is there a good chance that I can purchase an update on the day of the flight? Usually, the Delta App gives me a chance to purchase upgrades as soon as a week out. I am willing to pay $300-$400. Any chance that will be the price of an upgrade?

Thanks
If you want to upgrade with miles, you have to purchase a K fare or higher, and it's 12.5K miles each way.

In terms of an FCM upgrade, it's really a tossup, and is not something that should be expected or planned for. The prices are somewhat unpredictable, but $300-400 is probably as low as they would go.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

I would think that the chances of an upgrade or FCM offer being available on the 26th would be halfway decent being that the day after Christmas is a Saturday this year and I'm thinking that the number of folks traveling will be on the low side. That said, the FCM offer can vary significantly and as pointed out above $300-$400 would be on the low side for that flight. What offer are you seeing now?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
No offer yet :/ - i've never flown this route in Y. should I grab the first offer that comes?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:41 pm

No offer yet :/ - i've never flown this route in Y. should I grab the first offer that comes?
If the price is right, yes. Once instrument upgrades start clearing, you'll be out of luck.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Insane download speed on WIFI

delete - thought was starting new thread lol
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
you could also call Delta and ask how much an upgrade would cost. They should waive the change fee. You never know what you will find.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:48 am
Used to be 'jwienner'

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
No chance you'll find a paid upgrade for around 3-400. I fly this route weekly and can tell you the lowest you'll see is ~$600. And thats on a very very off peak time. I would find availability by calling the gold desk, book using a K fare plus miles and then SDC to the flight you want. As long as you're in business class with a confirmed upgrade you can SDC to any flight you want as long as space is avail.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
What price does it show on the seat map?

It's doubtful repricing the tickets will be a good offer, most of the flights LAX-JFK are full for the 30th and are pricing ~2k more OW than coach with only expensive C fares available.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott/Hilton Gold
I'm on one of those crowded flights on the 30th. @DeltaAssist says there's no Mileage Upgrade Award space available on my flight. Is there a waitlist I can get on for a mileage upgrade, or do I have to keep bugging @DeltaAssist? I'm not super excited about burning 12,500 miles for D1, but the better half is with me and would enjoy an upgrade.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:10 am
Original Poster

As a gold, can I do a same day change to LAX-SLC-JFK? or do they actually enforce the "same routing" rule?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:04 am

As a gold, can I do a same day change to LAX-SLC-JFK? or do they actually enforce the "same routing" rule?
If you're in first, as long as a seat is available on a permitted routing, you can change. The main restriction is that you can't change from a connecting itinerary to a nonstop (but you can from a nonstop to a connecting).

For economy, there has to be availability in your fare bucket to confirm the change. If not, they can put you on the standby list. Keep in mind though that you would have to clear the standby list for each individual segment.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Dec 23, 2015 at 7:09 am
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NYCNorm
I'm on one of those crowded flights on the 30th. @DeltaAssist says there's no Mileage Upgrade Award space available on my flight. Is there a waitlist I can get on for a mileage upgrade, or do I have to keep bugging @DeltaAssist? I'm not super excited about burning 12,500 miles for D1, but the better half is with me and would enjoy an upgrade.
Why not? Those 12,500 RDMs are worth maybe $125-375 and you're eager to pay $300-400 when the normal lowest price is $600.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why not? Those 12,500 RDMs are worth maybe $125-375 and you're eager to pay $300-400 when the normal lowest price is $600.
exactly. If you don't think redemption value of 0.04-0.06$ per mile is good enough, you will never be able to redeem them.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
We are flying D1 LAX-JFK on 12/26. The D1 cabin (and the rest of the plane) are 99% full at this point.

I think you will probably find upgrade availability challenging. There were a number of seats available before the week started, but they dried up by Tuesday.

As a data point, we paid about $450+20k miles each for our D1 seats. I think the possibility of a decent price for an upgrade went out the window weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.