Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Sees the End of First Class Upgrades in 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier

See link pretty interesting

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....5/12/17/42581/
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Gleff is sloppy yet again. The 80% statement is clearly contradicted by a chart in the Investor Day presentation stating ~70%. Do you think the other 30% is going to go empty?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Gleff is sloppy yet again. The 80% statement is clearly contradicted by a chart in the Investor Day presentation stating ~70%. Do you think the other 30% is going to go empty?
AA lets seats go empty all the time.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
a lot of "catchy sound-bite" points (yeah, I get it, it's basically a blog), but I think a lot of truth

I posted in one of the "new-and-improved-C+" threads a couple weeks ago that it's really starting to look like Delta's end game is "C+ is the new F" as far as the Medallion community is concerned ... the only folks riding in the pointy end will have paid for it somehow: cash, miles, UGs from advance-purchase C+, or GUCs/RUCs (and even those may be in jeopardy)

that said, though, I'm part of Delta's "70% paid FC" target metric: $350-$450 (~$200 over coach) for G/A/P on my WAS<-->SEA/LAX runs, sometimes less than 48 hrs out, is a no-brainer
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:12 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Even if he believed the 80% number, obviously his title is hyperbole because there's still 20% to give away.

Unless Delta begins to oversell first, which seems unlikely, they may have trouble getting up to those numbers no matter what. I flew on one flight this week (paid F fare), but I was able to secure a companion Medallion upgrade on the flight and the plane still had two seats empty (CRJ-900, which has the highest proportion of F seats). The reality is that F seats do go out empty sometimes even now, indicating that some routes have little demand even with FCM (on my trip this week I paid $135 to upgrade my ticket on a four segment trip, a no-brainer IMO).
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I would welcome a sweeping change like this in the US. I don't usually travel to the USA on a long notice, so it is typically almost impossible to find flights with 4 first class seats for purchase...
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
The problem is DL marketing is addicted to selling people on the theoretical benefit of upgrades as a Medallion perk. Of course, it's rapidly becoming one more "benefit" than really has little to no value.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I would welcome a sweeping change like this in the US. I don't usually travel to the USA on a long notice, so it is typically almost impossible to find flights with 4 first class seats for purchase...
With a goal of 70-80% of FC seats to be sold rather than left as perishable/upgrade inventory, there may not be tons of inventory left unsold at the last minute.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by SamuelS
With a goal of 70-80% of FC seats to be sold rather than left as perishable/upgrade inventory, there may not be tons of inventory left unsold at the last minute.
True. I also understand the marketing benefit of "free upgrades" and don't really have a grudge against the practice. Just wish I could land from 20 straight hours of flying in J and have the ability to make the last connection in other than economy. Oh well, that's life.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Gotta love the airline execs who believe the current good times will last forever. How can they forget the cyclical nature of the economy and the airline business? It was just ten years ago that DL and NW both filed for bankruptcy.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Gotta love the airline execs who believe the current good times will last forever. How can they forget the cyclical nature of the economy and the airline business? It was just ten years ago that DL and NW both filed for bankruptcy.
On the contrary, I think they are only all too aware of that hence they are milking the current growth for as much as they can. The down curve will come regardless and airlines will react. The current execs might or might not be around but hey.. Better get those performance matrix bonuses while it is possible. Isn't the mantra here a bird in the hand (bonus in bank) worth two in the bush. They cannot predict the market nor the loyalty of their customers. And what's the use of individual loyalty if corporations cut travel budgets?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PayItForward
On the contrary, I think they are only all too aware of that hence they are milking the current growth for as much as they can. The down curve will come regardless and airlines will react. The current execs might or might not be around but hey.. Better get those performance matrix bonuses while it is possible. Isn't the mantra here a bird in the hand (bonus in bank) worth two in the bush. They cannot predict the market nor the loyalty of their customers. And what's the use of individual loyalty if corporations cut travel budgets?
You give them too much credit. Yes, they are trying to milk every nickel right now in order to drive short term returns and thus enhance executive comp. No, they have not learned the lessons of the past.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Kacee
When F was what 15% paid? The deal with the 3G&G crowd that is swayed by a "status" that the airline creates is they are BUYABLE. Create a 3X mileage promotion, create some new tier, throw some free drinks at them and they will be back in droves!

Good for DL. Happy to see they are using their new found F income to improve the product with new menus and better food.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I think you're backwards on thinking this is a good thing then. Cheap first class seats that Delta sells in advance means less first class seats available on short notice for you to buy because people have bought cheap A fares for those seats. The first upgrades don't happen until 5 days out and even then they only go through if Delta doesn't think there is a reasonable chance the seat might sell, otherwise they hold it back for the gate.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Zeeb
I think you're backwards on thinking this is a good thing then. Cheap first class seats that Delta sells in advance means less first class seats available on short notice for you to buy because people have bought cheap A fares for those seats. The first upgrades don't happen until 5 days out and even then they only go through if Delta doesn't think there is a reasonable chance the seat might sell, otherwise they hold it back for the gate.
see last line of my post #4 above

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.