Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AeroMexico earnings towards DL Skymiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:18 am
Original Poster

A friend told me that I would earn Delta MQM and MQD while flying AeroMexico but he thought the earning would be a discounted amount. Can someone clarify? Here are my specifics :

I am $78 short on MQD for the year on Delta. We are planning a very late holiday trip and there is an AeroMexico flight which is approx $140 cheaper (and also non-stop) vs a DL flight. I would rather take the AM flight priced at $312 vs the Delta flight, but if I will not earn any MQD than I'll have to fly DL.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Let me point you to the earnings chart:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_.../airlines.html
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
First off, if the AM flight has a DL codeshare (DL flight number) then it's treated exactly like a DL flight.

If not, then you will earn MQD based on a percentage of distance flown (price of the ticket is irrelevant). The percentage is determined by your fare class.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kjnangre
First off, if the AM flight has a DL codeshare (DL flight number) then it's treated exactly like a DL flight.

If not, then you will earn MQD based on a percentage of distance flown (price of the ticket is irrelevant). The percentage is determined by your fare class.
At this time in the year, check all of the rules very carefully. Don't risk some codeshare flight number other than DL or AM. Make sure that the ticket stock doesn't affect anything.
kthomas likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help everyone!

The ticket is a Q fare, which would be 20% MQD. I called DL and after the calculation, I would earn $52, so I'm still short. Guess I'm taking the more expensive DL flight with a stop...
kthomas likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by JTbeatsNYC
Thanks for all the help everyone!

The ticket is a Q fare, which would be 20% MQD. I called DL and after the calculation, I would earn $52, so I'm still short. Guess I'm taking the more expensive DL flight with a stop...
The flight is only 260 miles long??
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:25 am

Also look at the price of first class on the AM flight. That would give you a higher percentage and therefore enough MQDs
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:26 am
Original Poster

No, it's JFK - CUN. But when I called DL they told me it would only yield me $52 because it's 20% of the distance flown. Did they make an incorrect calculation?

ALSO - I just had another stressful realization - even if I fly DL both ways, the second flight is on 1/2. I don't earn the MQD for 2015, right? Even if I ticket the flights together?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:26 am
Suspended

Pay for extra legroom (EC)?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No, it's JFK - CUN. But when I called DL they told me it would only yield me $52 because it's 20% of the distance flown. Did they make an incorrect calculation?

ALSO - I just had another stressful realization - even if I fly DL both ways, the second flight is on 1/2. I don't earn the MQD for 2015, right? Even if I ticket the flights together?
You earn the miles when the flights are flown, even if it's a RT ticket.
kthomas likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JFK-CUN is 1555 miles, so .2 x 1555 = 311 MQD's each way. Sounds like they were incorrectly multiplying the base fare by 20% instead of the mileage flown.

The flight flown on 1/2 will count toward 2016 MQD's (as mentioned above).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Can someone else corroborate that buying a seat with extra legroom will towards MDQ?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:00 pm

Thanks everyone. Can someone else corroborate that buying a seat with extra legroom will towards MDQ?
only on DL, not AM
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by LBJ
JFK-CUN is 1555 miles, so .2 x 1555 = 311 MQD's each way. Sounds like they were incorrectly multiplying the base fare by 20% instead of the mileage flown.

The flight flown on 1/2 will count toward 2016 MQD's (as mentioned above).
Old thread but... MQD== ~Dollars basis, right? So the miles / MQM don't matter... and don't follow the above???

(BTW: how I got here was booking ORD<->MEX<->LIM @$560RT in D, with layover in MEX... which seemed to me pretty darn good given that I had to make the trip anyway... but don't cry for me, the next guy I had to book was $1200 in I, unless I get lucky and rebook ... )

Last edited by kthomas; Dec 16, 2017 at 2:44 am Reason: // correct myself
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kthomas
Old thread but... MQD== ~Dollars basis, right? So the miles / MQM don't matter... and don't follow the above???

(BTW: how I got here was booking ORD<->MEX<->LIM @$560RT in D, with layover in MEX... which seemed to me pretty darn good given that I had to make the trip anyway... but don't cry for me, the next guy I had to book was $1200 in I, unless I get lucky and rebook ... )
For an AM ticket, MQD's will be based on miles flown, not dollars spent. An AM roundtrip D fare on this route would earn about 2590 MQD's before Jan 1 (30% miles), and around 3450 MQD's after Jan 1 (40% miles).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.