Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrades on 1-stops with same flight number

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM

I'm looking at booking a flight that has the same flight number AAA-BBB-CCC. All domestic. I know I will only get MQM's for the direct AAA-CCC route, and I did some searches on this and couldn't find the answer. Does this affect the upgrade list for each segment as all? I thought I remember something about not being eligible to upgrade. Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You're eligible to upgrade if you would be on ALL segments, but the upgrades on all segments normally must clear at the same time. Some agents can fix this by splitting the segments or you might be able to book it this way using multicity, as if BBB were a stopover, but delta.dumb might then insist on giving you so much time at BBB that it prices as a stopover rather than a connection.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Agreed with MSPe, you'll want to call a delta agent to have them split the segments for higher probability of getting upgraded across all segments.

I commonly fly ATL-LAX-SYD and reverse which is frequently the same flight number, even with equipment change in LAX. Being and international flight, complementary upgrades aren't given for the hop across the lake, so the ATL segments don't qualify either....until I call the desk and have them separate the segments.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Originally Posted by BHammy
Agreed with MSPe, you'll want to call a delta agent to have them split the segments for higher probability of getting upgraded across all segments.

I commonly fly ATL-LAX-SYD and reverse which is frequently the same flight number, even with equipment change in LAX. Being and international flight, complementary upgrades aren't given for the hop across the lake, so the ATL segments don't qualify either....until I call the desk and have them separate the segments.
So the hop across the LAKE is the Pacific Ocean and the trip across the POND is the Atlantic Ocean !
And a flight in a CRJ is puddle jumper or maybe a wading pool !
So whatever floats your flight - - - LOL !
Hop across the LAKE - I like it !
BHammy likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Say I have MSP-LAX-KOA, same flight #, and a GUC.

Reasonable strategy to keep paired segments and hope clears at MSP, else at LAX, rather than separate and wait to LAX->KOA?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:45 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
The one I have encountered repeatedly is DL 1150, which operates HNL-LAX-ATL. Even though published as direct, in reality it is two different flights on two different equipment types. From the standpoint of using a RUC, you never find availability for the entire flight. Commonly, inventory is there for HNL-LAX but not LAX-ATL.

I did try to get an agent to split it once, and it took a lot of work to make it happen. I don't understand why this isn't published as two separate flights with distinct flight numbers. The current arrangement is a pain, and I don't see what advantage it is to the airline operationally.
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by BHammy

You will be happy to know that the ATL-LAX-SYD is now two different flight numbers even if it is the same equipment (77L is on hiatus for ATL-LAX now but returning in early May).
JFK is now saddled with the "direct" flight to SYD.
BHammy likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
The one I have encountered repeatedly is DL 1150, which operates HNL-LAX-ATL. Even though published as direct, in reality it is two different flights on two different equipment types. From the standpoint of using a RUC, you never find availability for the entire flight. Commonly, inventory is there for HNL-LAX but not LAX-ATL.
Thanks for the reply; I can see that. From experience, I figured I'd have better chances on LAX-KOA than MSP-LAX, so didn't want to drop on only MSP-LAX. Sounds like in this case I can try on the "direct."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.