Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA - SJC and Delta Silver status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

SEA - SJC and Delta Silver status

Question - I'm contemplating working to get Delta Silver status (and then status matching to Alaska MVP) status. Getting Delta Gold (or Alaska MVP Gold) is unattainable for me for now.

I personally fly SJC to SEA a few times a year (we live in San Jose, wife's family in Seattle). Does anyone know if I'll have any success trying to get complimentary discounted fare upgrades between SJC-SEA on either Alaska or Delta flights? I've done a ton of research on general "is Delta Silver worth it" but it sounds like it all boils down to whether or not I'll actually have a shot at upgrading - and I can't find any specific information on my chances on San Jose - Seattle flights. If I have no shot I probably won't try and get Delta Silver/Alaska MVP, but if I have legitimate shot each time I fly that route I think I'll go for it.

PS what upgrade success rate would be considered good enough to be worth obtaining status for Silver/MVP for? 25%? 50%?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by ManImCool
Question - I'm contemplating working to get Delta Silver status (and then status matching to Alaska MVP) status. Getting Delta Gold (or Alaska MVP Gold) is unattainable for me for now.

I personally fly SJC to SEA a few times a year (we live in San Jose, wife's family in Seattle). Does anyone know if I'll have any success trying to get complimentary discounted fare upgrades between SJC-SEA on either Alaska or Delta flights? I've done a ton of research on general "is Delta Silver worth it" but it sounds like it all boils down to whether or not I'll actually have a shot at upgrading - and I can't find any specific information on my chances on San Jose - Seattle flights. If I have no shot I probably won't try and get Delta Silver/Alaska MVP, but if I have legitimate shot each time I fly that route I think I'll go for it.

PS what upgrade success rate would be considered good enough to be worth obtaining status for Silver/MVP for? 25%? 50%?
I have no experience on this route but am guessing it'll be light for AS elites given SEA is a hub and SJC is somewhat of a focus city. Edit: light as in silvers would receive upgrades very infrequently

With respect to your latter question, I really think you have to do the math yourself. Look at the cash it would cost to get the status and how many times you're saving the upfare from discounted economy to discounted first (often not that dramatically different, but still just math). If you would never pay to upfare to first, then I'd put a very low value on the status. Cash is king!

Last edited by aCavalierInCoach; Dec 13, 2015 at 1:59 pm Reason: clarification
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
FO status is more than rare upgrades, especially for someone without a DL AmEx card. You get somewhat early boarding, a free bag, faster lines for check in and security at some airports, faster hold times when you call, etc. This is worth something.

Upgrade chances depend greatly on when (day of week and time of day as well as holiday periods) you travel as well as the routes.

If you can get status by concentrating your travel (or miles credits) to one program, you should do so. In fact, you should credit (and get status) with the airline you actually fly.

IMO you should also assume that the relationship between DL and AS will totally end soon.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ManImCool

I cleared at the window as a Delta Gold earlier this year. Seem to recall us going out with one open, too.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
FO status is more than rare upgrades, especially for someone without a DL AmEx card. You get somewhat early boarding, a free bag, faster lines for check in and security at some airports, faster hold times when you call, etc. This is worth something.

Upgrade chances depend greatly on when (day of week and time of day as well as holiday periods) you travel as well as the routes.

If you can get status by concentrating your travel (or miles credits) to one program, you should do so. In fact, you should credit (and get status) with the airline you actually fly.

IMO you should also assume that the relationship between DL and AS will totally end soon.
For what it's worth if I decide to work at getting Delta Silver, it'd be with the help of the DL Amex Platinum card. If I don't decide to work at getting Delta Silver, I'd probably get the lower DL Amex Gold card.

Also, this SJC-SEA route is flown with the wife maybe 2-5 times per year. The majority, if not all of those, would be the weekend trips leaving early Friday and returning late Sunday. The only exception to a Fri-Sun weekend trip would be over the holidays. Does flying Fri-Sun help my upgrade chances as opposed to fighting with all the frequent flyers that travel for business M-F?

Also, unless I am misunderstood, having Delta Silver/Alaska MVP/Delta Amex Platinum card will NOT get me access to the priority security lines, correct?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Here's my two cents, since I fly this route pretty regularly.

SJC is a weird route for DL, since the majority of the aircraft are a mixture of E175s and the CR9/7s. Since this is a better alternative to get to SV than SFO, you end up with a higher number of upgrades on the list regardless of the day.

Also, more times than not, the difference between a coach fare is negligible as long as you look further out than a week.

As for the status, keep in mind that being a FO will allow for certain perks while flying DL, but you must remember that they recently upgauged the amount required for MQDs from $2500 to $3000.

I just looked up ticket prices one way from SEA-SJC on the 8th of Jan and the first purchase price is $160. Keeping this in mind, I would suggest obtaining AS MVP. This way, you can manage to obtain MVP without the spend requirement and you can also accrue miles while flying on AA as well. With the exception of UA, you're golden.

Edit to add: I would recommend purchasing Global Entry, even if you don't travel internationally. This will automatically grant you pre-check and is good for 5 years.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
It is often easy upgrade for SEA SJC for any elite tho. Like SEA LAX even silver get upgraded. So I'm not sure how strong it is but I recommend looking at some day of departure first class seat map on both airlines to have a rough idea but I would think it may be easier with DL
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
When I flew this route as a GM last year (to SEA on a Friday and to SJC) on a Tuesday, I was upgraded in both directions and my wife who was on a separate one way ticket back to SJC with me was upgraded as well with no status.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Felixishim
It is often easy upgrade for SEA SJC for any elite tho. Like SEA LAX even silver get upgraded. So I'm not sure how strong it is but I recommend looking at some day of departure first class seat map on both airlines to have a rough idea but I would think it may be easier with DL
Looking to see how many seats are open for gate upgrades doesn't indicate much as there can be lots of higher tier elites who weren't upgraded at their windows.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:00 pm
mck

I've flown this on AS and DL pretty frequently in 2015. I think it's worth going for DL silver if it's not difficult as you will definitely get some upgrades. Mon morning and Thu/Fri afternoons are hard.

Whether it's worth matching to AS, the biggest difference is the free same day confirmed for MVP while DL has more restrictive SDC. I sometimes will buy up to first on DL on this route because it can be minimally more and give you more SDC options.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold 1MM, Mariott Silver
The only time I flew SJC-SEA and back this year, I was upgraded at the window both ways as a Silver Medallion. Out Mon afternoon back Tue evening in a regular workweek in October
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Adding another data point, I've flown this a few times as an FO as well and my worst case scenario has been a gate upgrade. I've found myself up front every time, and also was able to secure C+ at T-24 each time prior to the battlefield upgrade.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
I fly SJC-SEA-SJC very often and have been upgraded on 100% of my flights between these two cities as Gold (12-13 RTs) in '15

The first flight out of SJC to SEA in the morning is usually the busiest, try to plan for one of the later 10/11AM flights; and in terms of coming home, take the 7-8PM flight out of SEA on a Friday versus 4-5PM. Thats been working for me.

I used to fly SW between these two and every flight was packed; I would recommend Delta any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.