Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay with Miles...MQMs stripped

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I had an "Upgrade with miles" ticket in October and it looks OK. But this gets me worried about my trip next week were I used (for the first time) 35K miles to reduce the price...

I also learned the hard way that while PWM tickets are eligible for Medallion Upgrades they can't be upgraded any other way -- I had hoped to use an RUC to upgrade the outbound LAX-JFK leg but no joy.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
The PWM failed consistently and I ended up doing it over the phone. The agent was helpful and made it happen but it always looked funny on my SM activity. However, the MQM and RDM appeared so I didn't worry too much.
I wonder if it was an IT glitch on a flight that wasn't PWM eligible, even though it said it was when you tried to book it. Perhaps that's why booking always failed but went through when manually booked by an agent. Kind of like those really cheap fares you see that disappear once you get to the booking page and it tells you something is wrong or the fare shoots up 500%.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: DL PM
I just had 9258 miles disappear as well. PWM itinerary as well. Did a back to back MR, and so far the first itinerary (most of it) was awarded miles, but the entire second itinerary has vanished.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I had two PWM trips this year.

One in F posted correctly.

The one in Y the MQMs are still there but no RDM. I do not know if they were there and disappeared or if they were never there in the first place, I really only look at MQM. And there was an irop and the ticket got resissued during the trip. It is only a few miles so I'm not so worried but if I lost MQM I would be going crazy.

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Dec 10, 2015 at 6:34 am
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Just a data point.
After reading the thread went back to my account and it has not changed. I did several PWM to reduce the price of first class domestic and one in coach this year. They posted normal at the time and are still there.
I'll keep checking.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: DM/3MM
The incompetence of the IT knows no bounds.
That's why one should never say DL IT can't get any worse. There are plenty of ways it can.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by vgb2001
Just a data point.
After reading the thread went back to my account and it has not changed. I did several PWM to reduce the price of first class domestic and one in coach this year. They posted normal at the time and are still there.
same report

in my case it's only ~3k MQM, which isn't critical since I'm holding at PM with ~48k rollover ... but I'd sure be livid if I had to fight for a status level that DL's incompetent IT led me to believe I had attained under published rules
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Any guesses on which particular accounts are affected of the many who use pay with miles? Many more of us have used PWM this year than the reports of MQMs being taken here. So why is DL picking on some people but apparently not others?
Mine were there for quite a while and now gone. luckily it was only a short hop for 1000 MQMs round trip.
Most likely Delta IT is processing skymiles accounts in batches for this 'new' enhancement.
Some accounts have been processed and some haven't but sooner or later (definitely by year end) all will be 'enhanced'

-J
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
I wrote a complaint on dl.com last night... crickets. Not even the usual robo answer telling me how valued I am.

BHammy - did you hear back about your wife's MQM?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I had two PWM trips this year.

One in F posted correctly.

The one in Y the MQMs are still there but no RDM. I do not know if they were there and disappeared or if they were never there in the first place, I really only look at MQM. And there was an irop and the ticket got resissued during the trip. It is only a few miles so I'm not so worried but if I lost MQM I would be going crazy.
You only earn RDM on the portion that is paid with cash (excluding government imposed taxes/fees). Are you sure did not pay for more than the base fare with miles (which would earn zero RDM)?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jeet
Most likely Delta IT is processing skymiles accounts in batches for this 'new' enhancement.
Some accounts have been processed and some haven't but sooner or later (definitely by year end) all will be 'enhanced'

-J
This seems very conspiracy theory to me! 2 or 3 cases out of countless PWM users on FT. I'm guessing it's a glitch or there is some other (valid) reason the miles were redacted.

The policy is very clear that PWM earns MQMs. The policy hasn't changed. Even if DL does decide to change the policy, they wouldn't go back and enforce it retroactively. Besides, PWM is a very expensive way of using miles, there's no reason whatsoever for DL to discourage it.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
UPDATE...

Good news and better news, I guess...

Good news:
My wife's account has been updated! All MQMs re-instated!

Better news:
Her RDM miles have been credited for the FULL ticket price! (at least for the time being)

My two daughters that traveled with her still don't have their accounts updated, but I haven't made that in inquiry yet until I found out what happened to my wife's.

I'm still rather bothered by the DM desk agent who was insistent that miles and MQMs go hand and hand and for PWMs it was only partial credit even for MQMs.
Just further instilling the well known point: if you don't like your first answer, hang up and call again!
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by BHammy
UPDATE...

Good news and better news, I guess...

Good news:
My wife's account has been updated! All MQMs re-instated!

Better news:
Her RDM miles have been credited for the FULL ticket price! (at least for the time being)

My two daughters that traveled with her still don't have their accounts updated, but I haven't made that in inquiry yet until I found out what happened to my wife's.

I'm still rather bothered by the DM desk agent who was insistent that miles and MQMs go hand and hand and for PWMs it was only partial credit even for MQMs.
Just further instilling the well known point: if you don't like your first answer, hang up and call again!
Thanks for the update. I got an email (not a form email) saying they'd look into it and fix my balance within 2-3 weeks which I said was not acceptable given that it is near year-end.

However, I just checked my balance and I've been credited too. I seem to have received too many RDMs - perhaps it's a CS gesture? Not sure.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Thanks for the update. I got an email (not a form email) saying they'd look into it and fix my balance within 2-3 weeks which I said was not acceptable given that it is near year-end.

However, I just checked my balance and I've been credited too. I seem to have received too many RDMs - perhaps it's a CS gesture? Not sure.
I doubt it. Probably just further IT failure that happens to benefit you this time.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL PM
Update for me:

After emailing I got a response the following day saying it was a mistake and would be fixed in 7-10 days and was credited two days later.
I'm not sure if this had to do with anything but I was not able to use PWM at booking on delta.com. I had to call in and have it done manually, which sounded like a very different process. Did anyone else with problems have theirs booked manually?

I did somehow end up getting a double Platinum Medallion MQM Bonus (I didn't know those were possible now) on one flight, and then another leg credited twice. Overall I'd say it worked out pretty well with an extra 6k MQM somehow! Also credited full RDM's too but I get more RDM's from the bags on time guarantee than I do from actually flying these days.

Last edited by seowitz; Dec 13, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.