Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

C+ now considered an upgrade for Amex Companion Certificate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

C+ now considered an upgrade for Amex Companion Certificate

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by rylan
Just wait until they take away being able to select 'preferred' and exit row seats if your companion has no status...
I'm curious at what point delta finally breaks us. I'm diamond and honestly, it's ok, but it's not that great. It was like getting a trophy only to realize almost every other kid got the same trophy. The only thing that makes diamond worth it IMO is the skyclub access. I mean now I'm the first to miss the upgrade instead of the 3rd, so what?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I think they're waiting until late May to walk it back so they can brag about how they listen to customers.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
I know I've asked before, but has anyone with a Reserve card tried looking at flights after the change, to see how it lets you book? Is it still allowing F?
I have the reserve and just booked a trip in Jan '17 into F for $842, and Y was $492. So it's a win.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat

I know I've asked before, but has anyone with a Reserve card tried looking at flights after the change, to see how it lets you book? Is it still allowing F?
The Reserve companion ticket can still book the same classes as before. I'm looking at mine for October, but the fare was higher than I wanted so I'm waiting. Remember that no upgrades are allowed so there is no way to get C+ that I see. That is fine with me as I have been using them for FC.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
I have the reserve and just booked a trip in Jan '17 into F for $842, and Y was $492. So it's a win.
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
The Reserve companion ticket can still book the same classes as before. I'm looking at mine for October, but the fare was higher than I wanted so I'm waiting. Remember that no upgrades are allowed so there is no way to get C+ that I see. That is fine with me as I have been using them for FC.
Well that's good to know. I've been too busy to try calling in about upgrading, so I still am hesitant. We might make a trip to visit family at the end of the summer, so that could be a good use of the Y certificate. And since I've had my card for over two years now, would this still just be considered the same account, or would I be eligible for a signup bonus (keeping the same card number, but upgrading to Reserve)? It'd be great if my anniversary date wouldn't get reset either, because then I could get an F certificate as soon as October (rather than having to wait a whole year after upgrading to Reserve).
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:43 pm

Well that's good to know. I've been too busy to try calling in about upgrading, so I still am hesitant. We might make a trip to visit family at the end of the summer, so that could be a good use of the Y certificate. And since I've had my card for over two years now, would this still just be considered the same account, or would I be eligible for a signup bonus (keeping the same card number, but upgrading to Reserve)? It'd be great if my anniversary date wouldn't get reset either, because then I could get an F certificate as soon as October (rather than having to wait a whole year after upgrading to Reserve).
When I upgraded to Reserve after many years with the delta platinum I got the difference in bonus, not a "new" signup bonus. My anniversary date remained the same and since I did it early in the year and my anniversary is late in the year, I think I got the FC certificate that first year, but I'm not sure.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I read some of this thread, not sure if this is covered, but here is a random data point.

I am Delta Gold, my friend is Delta n/a, but has a companion pass via credit card. He used companion pass on me. We were able to select preferred economy seats at booking for free, and I was able to upgrade us to Economy Comfort Plus @ 72 hours out for free (obviously contingent on available seats).

Going to try and talk my way on to the business upgrade list at the airport tomorrow.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by shablamb
... I am Delta Gold, my friend is Delta n/a, but has a companion pass via credit card. He used companion pass on me. We were able to select preferred economy seats at booking for free, and I was able to upgrade us to Economy Comfort Plus @ 72 hours out for free (obviously contingent on available seats).

Going to try and talk my way on to the business upgrade list at the airport tomorrow.
lots of reports over the past few years that AmEx companion tix are no longer eligible for upgrades
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL PM
I read some of this thread, not sure if this is covered, but here is a random data point.

I am Delta Gold, my friend is Delta n/a, but has a companion pass via credit card. He used companion pass on me. We were able to select preferred economy seats at booking for free, and I was able to upgrade us to Economy Comfort Plus @ 72 hours out for free (obviously contingent on available seats).

Don't the new changes not go into effect until May 16?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
lots of reports over the past few years that AmEx companion tix are no longer eligible for upgrades
That was for an upgrade from economy to first class. This discussion is about Comfort + seats, which delta will consider a new class starting May 16th.

This will cause me to dump my Amex card. I can justify the annual fee with the companion fare, but I refuse to fly in the main cabin. I only fly in Comfort + seats or in first class. I wonder if Delta makes more money from me paying the upgrade fee to C+ or from the credit card.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

agree about the thread subject, but I'm replying to shablamb in post #67 who mentions trying to swift-talk a GA into a FC upgrade tomorrow, which I believe is 29 April ...
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:32 pm

Upgrades are not allowed on companion tickets. Comfort plus is not an upgrade until next month's change so that it's ok now.

There are reports of people getting upgraded to FC, but you are not going to walk up and get on the list.
Old May 2, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Well, I noticed a few weeks ago that C+ and F upgrade option was there when I looked at booking companion tickets. Finally booked them just now, and I could still select them. Just for fun, I selected the F upgrade request. It also said the fare was upgrade eligible when I got to the payment. So we'll see if I even show up on the list in a few months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.