Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same Day Confirmed/Standby and Complimentary UG

Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Hi, can someone point me in the direction regarding complimentary UGs and same day confirmed/standby?

I was travelling with a colleague who wanted to switch to an earlier flight, was placed on standby, cleared, but could not be placed on the UG list (he was on a Y fare)?

Are the rules the same for same day confirmed regarding complimentary UGs?

Thank you
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You cannot get onto the upgrade list until you're confirmed on the flight. In practice, this means that the GA processes the upgrades before SDS passengers are on the list.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Complimentary upgrades are treated the same as the original coach booking class when it comes to SDC/SDS (and you lose the upgrade!). If the rules forced a standby, those will not get cleared until the existing upgrade wait list clears which means you effectively cannot upgrade a standby. If the rules allow you to same day confirm, you can be placed on the upgrade list.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by keeton
Complimentary upgrades are treated the same as the original coach booking class when it comes to SDC/SDS (and you lose the upgrade!). If the rules forced a standby, those will not get cleared until the existing upgrade wait list clears which means you effectively cannot upgrade a standby. If the rules allow you to same day confirm, you can be placed on the upgrade list.
Not always true. An SDS can clear prior to T-45 and as such, one can get added to the gate upgrade list. Ive seen it happen, and its happened to me. I assumed that technically what happened is that my SDS became an SDC and then the SDC rules took over - in my case, the SDS was confirmed a T-3 hours though the request was made at T-24. And yes, I got the upgrade.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Bicostal
Not always true. An SDS can clear prior to T-45 and as such, one can get added to the gate upgrade list. Ive seen it happen, and its happened to me. I assumed that technically what happened is that my SDS became an SDC and then the SDC rules took over - in my case, the SDS was confirmed a T-3 hours though the request was made at T-24. And yes, I got the upgrade.
SDS isn't technically supposed to be cleared until D-35 min. but usually can be done sooner if the flight is wide open. I clear sooner if possible to give the pax a chance for upgrade... but only if I know that everyone above the SDS on the standby list will get a seat.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Basically, it comes down to this: If you go on same day standby for a flight, don't expect to be get put on the upgrade list as you will likely not clear until boarding and after upgrades are already processed.

If you same day confirm then absolutely you should be able to get on the list.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

This is all very helpful info. Thank you.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
There was only one time where I still got the upgrade while flying standby. I actually just went up to the GA and asked if she had cleared the standby list. She said, not yet, but asked me for me BP. She cleared me. And then....about ten minutes later, the other GA called me up for my upgrade. The other 10 times I have SDC, nada.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.