Search

Switching to Delta Skymiles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Switching to Delta Skymiles?

Hi all.

I am currently an avid Emirates flyer, flying several times a year between ACC, JFK, BOM, CAN, and HKG exclusively on EK. Lately I have been getting disenchanted by their frequent flyer program so I'm looking to go back to Skyteam (I used to be Platinum on Flying Blue). I am based out of ACC so I'd be using Delta to go to JFK.

I got status matched to Alitalia Mille Miglia so I am a Skyteam Elite Plus member. I had several questions and I'd appreciate any answers you guys can provide.

1. I am currently a Delta Skymiles member. When I read the clauses on their status match page, they specify "for non-medallion members only." Would I not be eligible for their status challenge?

2. If I maintain my Mille Miglia status and credit all my DL flights to it, will I have the same op-up chances as a Medallion member of equal status? Or will DL always op-up a Medallion member over a partner FF program?

3. I understand that in Y, status pax have free Comfort + seat selection. Does that apply towards all Skyteam Elite Plus members?

I'm sure I'll have a bunch more questions as they come to me. I appreciate any answers I can get!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
1. You cannot generally match from an airline in the same alliance (such as Alitalia to Delta) since alliance partners don't want to be seen as poaching customers from one another. You would probably have to try and match from Emirates. The fact that you also hold Alitalia status should not preclude you from being able to do this. You are not presently a Medallion member.

2. Delta will prioritize its own elites over SkyTeam elites for op-ups on Delta-operated flights. Keep in mind - op ups are rare, happening only when coach is oversold. Even as a Medallion, don't expect to get a free ride up front with any sort of regularity.

3. No. No complimentary or discounted access to Comfort+ for SkyTeam Elite/Elite+ with a few specific exceptions for joint venture partners such as AF/KL and Virgin Atlantic.

Don't know what's happening over at Emirates with regard to the frequent flyer program, but I will say this about Delta... Delta runs a great airline. They perform admirably from an operational perspective. The economy is stronger than it was a decade ago. There are half as many legacy US airlines as there were a decade ago. They're stuffing planes fuller at higher fares. All of these things impact the frequent flyer program in a negative way. I wouldn't exactly plan on being enchanted by Delta's SkyMiles program.

Last edited by javabytes; Dec 3, 2015 at 12:45 am
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:19 am

The DL FF program will not 'enchant' you. They have worked successfully to devalue the program heavily since they are profitable and generally perform better than the rest of the US airlines.
If you are going to choose DL, do it because they have good on-time performance and you can afford it. Don't pick it for the FF program.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by javabytes
Originally Posted by EK788
2. If I maintain my Mille Miglia status and credit all my DL flights to it, will I have the same op-up chances as a Medallion member of equal status? Or will DL always op-up a Medallion member over a partner FF program?
2. Delta will prioritize its own elites over SkyTeam elites for op-ups on Delta-operated flights. Keep in mind - op ups are rare, happening only when coach is oversold. Even as a Medallion, don't expect to get a free ride up front with any sort of regularity.
+1

Of all the considerations in choosing a frequent flyer program or a specific flight given your frequent flyer status, op-ups should be near the bottom; they're unlikely enough that, in my opinion, it's never worth using them as a consideration in making plans. And while there are trends with respect to op-ups (most airlines certainly will op-up their own elites before partner elites, all else being equal), all else is seldom equal; op-ups are by definition operational and done with the goal of getting the plane out on time with all ticketed passengers on board. That goal trumps rewarding elites in any particular hierarchy.

Upgrades that are a published benefit of the frequent flyer program (complimentary, using miles perhaps with a copay, or earned upgrade instruments) are certainly something to consider; the probability ranges from very high to nearly zero depending on status, route, and time. Delta is in some ways the worst of the US3 for upgrades on international flights, although they've improved somewhat relative the the competition over the last few years, partly due to honest policy improvements and partly because the competition (AA) has gotten worse. That said, my understanding is that upgrades are easier within the frequent flyer programs of any of the US3 than pretty much any other airline in the world, since the US airlines are more inclined to take some sort of upgrade instrument whereas foreign airlines are more inclined to let a premium cabin seat fly empty if they can't sell it at a regular fare. If you have specific questions about upgrades, I'd suggest asking them instead of asking about op-ups.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
The DL FF program will not 'enchant' you. They have worked successfully to devalue the program heavily since they are profitable and generally perform better than the rest of the US airlines.
If you are going to choose DL, do it because they have good on-time performance and you can afford it. Don't pick it for the FF program.
^

Operationally, DL is fantastic and they have good service recovery during IRROPS. However, I would not move over just for SkyMiles (I'd rather move away, if there's such a thing.. ).

Since with the advent of FCMs, comp medallion upgrades are almost non-existent, I'd say enjoy and maintain your AZ ST E+ status and enjoy really cheap FCM's (while seeing most of the DM/PM's wings clipped! ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.