DL's Updated Food Options in FC

Old Dec 9, 15, 10:46 am
  #61  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Posts: 3,194
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Oh I hope not. Asian salad probably means MSG.
Here is a link to a photo.

DL's Asian Beef Salad
SJC ORD LDR is offline  
Old Dec 9, 15, 11:01 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BDL/HPN/JFK/FLL
Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Posts: 1,051
Originally Posted by jrkmsp View Post
I had the crab cake with rice and succotash on my BOS-MSP flight last week. Came with a dancing deer brownie. I thought it was one of the best Delta F meals I've had.
Had the choice of that or the cold deli plate JFK-FLL the other night, chose the cold plate which was fine, though would be better if they didn't super-hydrate the sliced meats quite so much, and gave both mustard and mayo.

I was a little too scared of crab on a plane. I was actually hungry because I had to dash from immigration in T4 to the gate in T2, and the lunch they served me on that VS PE flight was by far the worst food I've ever been served on a plane...
mother- is offline  
Old Dec 9, 15, 11:18 am
  #63  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Programs: DL DM/MM
Posts: 1,918
OP here. I was just on a flight in FC and requested the Hindu meal (for dinner) because it's been a fairly safe option the past--usually a warm Indian dish with a bit of kick to it. What I got was not good at all: my meal consisted of a wilted piece of romaine lettuce and a few pieces of bland squash/zucchini between two slices of dry bread. In other words, I was given a cold zucchini/squash sandwich. To me, this wasn't a Hindu meal but, instead, a bland and unappetizing sandwich. In the end, I didn't eat the dinner that I was expecting to be served. Was this a mistake with catering?

I emailed DL and asked them whether there was a mistake with catering. DL CSR said that everyone likes a tasty meal and apologized that I didn't enjoy my meal. At no point did she explicitly answer the question: "Was this a mistake with catering?" DL tossed 7500 SM pesos my way. To be honest, I don't need anymore miles; I just want there to be some type of change. I wish that I had taken a picture of this sandwich. It was embarrassing.

At least this time, I wasn't a ham sandwich -- just a sad, wilted veggie one.

Last edited by UVAhoo06; Dec 9, 15 at 11:33 am
UVAhoo06 is offline  
Old Dec 9, 15, 11:20 am
  #64  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,123
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
Here is a link to a photo.

DL's Asian Beef Salad
Thanks but what's that round orange thing that looks like a thick cookie sitting on top of the salad?

The plate with cheese, grapes, and a wedge of apple pie looks good.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Dec 9, 15, 11:26 am
  #65  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Programs: DL DM/MM
Posts: 1,918
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Thanks but what's that round orange thing that looks like a thick cookie sitting on top of the salad?

The plate with cheese, grapes, and a wedge of apple pie looks good.
Looks like a huge prawn cracker -- which is a popular East/SE Asian snack.
UVAhoo06 is offline  
Old Dec 9, 15, 11:27 am
  #66  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,123
I was thinking a rice cake flavored with curry or something.

I guess it can be removed easily and if it's the only Asian thing about the salad, I'm relatively happy.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 9, 15 at 11:33 am
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Dec 9, 15, 11:31 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Programs: DL DM MM
Posts: 1,815
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06 View Post
OP here. I was just on a flight and requested the Hindu meal (for dinner) because it's been a fairly safe option the past--usually a warm Indian dish with a bit of kick to it. What I got was not good at all: my meal consisted of a wilted piece of romaine lettuce and a few pieces of bland squash/zucchini between two slices of dry bread. In other words, I was given a cold zucchini/squash sandwich. To me, this wasn't a Hindu meal but, instead, a bland and unappetizing sandwich. In the end, I didn't eat the dinner that I was expecting to be served. Was this a mistake with catering?

I emailed DL and asked them whether there was a mistake with catering. DL CSR said that everyone likes a tasty meal and apologized that I didn't enjoy my meal. At no point did she explicitly answer the question: "Was this a mistake with catering?" DL tossed 7500 SM pesos my way. To be honest, I don't need anymore miles; I just want there to be some type of change. I wish that I had taken a picture of this sandwich. It was embarrassing.

At least this time, I wasn't a ham sandwich -- just a sad, wilted veggie one.
It's not a mistake. Somebody posted a picture of exactly this meal somewhere on this thread. It looked awful and is the number one reason I will never order the hindu meal, despite my love of Indian food.
NotHamSarnie is offline  
Old Dec 9, 15, 11:34 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Posts: 3,194
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Thanks but what's that round orange thing that looks like a thick cookie sitting on top of the salad?

The plate with cheese, grapes, and a wedge of apple pie looks good.
It's hummus. It goes well with the salad.

Also, all of DL's lunch options I ever see come with the cheese, grapes, and a desert (pie or cake). It's better than the dinner gelato IMO.
SJC ORD LDR is offline  
Old Dec 9, 15, 11:43 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,233
Originally Posted by mother- View Post
Had the choice of that or the cold deli plate JFK-FLL the other night, chose the cold plate which was fine, though would be better if they didn't super-hydrate the sliced meats quite so much, and gave both mustard and mayo.

I was a little too scared of crab on a plane. I was actually hungry because I had to dash from immigration in T4 to the gate in T2, and the lunch they served me on that VS PE flight was by far the worst food I've ever been served on a plane...
It took quite a leap of faith for me, too. But i wanted something warm and was hungry, so I gave it a shot. Not at all disappointed I did. BTW, here's a photo (from the FT in-flight food thread) of the meal for you or anyone else who may be interested.
jrkmsp is offline  
Old Dec 9, 15, 12:16 pm
  #70  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 12,856
Originally Posted by DCADeltaRoadWarrior View Post
Crab cake was decent. Good enough to not make me regret getting an earlier dinner.
Originally Posted by jrkmsp View Post
I had the crab cake with rice and succotash on my BOS-MSP flight last week. Came with a dancing deer brownie. I thought it was one of the best Delta F meals I've had.
Is this a proper MD-style crab cake? I ask because what they refer to as a crab cake out here on the west coast is an abomination but presumably I can trust the opinion of someone with "DCA" in their handle

Including once at a restaurant that *said* "Maryland style crab cake" on the menu. Me (waiting for friends): "I have a question about the menu" Host: "Yes?" "I'm from Baltim--" Host: "Don't get the crab cake."
Zorak is online now  
Old Dec 9, 15, 12:57 pm
  #71  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,123
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
It's hummus. It goes well with the salad.

Also, all of DL's lunch options I ever see come with the cheese, grapes, and a desert (pie or cake). It's better than the dinner gelato IMO.
What's Asian about hummus?

I've had some variation on the cheese/grapes/desert on longer domestic FC flights, but thte shorter flights still seem to have Dancing Deer.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Dec 9, 15, 1:02 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SE USA
Programs: DL PM/MM (lost DM 2020) , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Tolerater, AA Hater
Posts: 1,925
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Is this a proper MD-style crab cake? I ask because what they refer to as a crab cake out here on the west coast is an abomination but presumably I can trust the opinion of someone with "DCA" in their handle

Including once at a restaurant that *said* "Maryland style crab cake" on the menu. Me (waiting for friends): "I have a question about the menu" Host: "Yes?" "I'm from Baltim--" Host: "Don't get the crab cake."
Crab Cake from more than 100 miles from BWI = Bread with a little crab
dilbertsdaddy is offline  
Old Dec 9, 15, 1:03 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ATL
Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Posts: 2,897
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Is this a proper MD-style crab cake?
I just had the crab cake last night. It had a remoulade-type sauce on the side. I found it pretty tasty, on an absolute basis. If you are a crab cake snob and will only eat crab cakes cooked in a certain area of Baltimore from crabs caught only in certain months of the year (or whatever you consider "proper") then, yes, you may be disappointed. It just means more for the rest of us.
keeton is offline  
Old Dec 9, 15, 1:35 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Posts: 3,194
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
What's Asian about hummus?

I've had some variation on the cheese/grapes/desert on longer domestic FC flights, but thte shorter flights still seem to have Dancing Deer.
Most of my lunch flights are SFO/SJC-MSP/ATL/DTW, so they all fall in the longer category.

Hummus is middle eastern, so that's still Asia, just the other side. It also has some type of eastern-Asian spice. It still works very well with the salad.
SJC ORD LDR is offline  
Old Dec 9, 15, 5:44 pm
  #75  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Posts: 16,679
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
I wish they would offer a non-egg hot dish sometimes, like oatmeal, french toast, etc, and a non-cereal cold option, like bagel & smoked salmon.
They do. I've seen oatmeal with a fruit compote offered on JFK-LAS severeal times in recent months. I've had it, and it was good. I've also seen a bagel and smoked salmon offering on ATL-JFK.
ssullivan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: