MSP SkyPriority Security Line

Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:16 am
Original Poster

MSP SkyPriority Security Line

Morning all,

I have a question about MSP SkyPriority Security line, I've just recently started traveling for work.

I flew out of MSP about a month ago in first class, so I had SkyPriority status for security. I'm flying out again this week, this time in Delta Comfort+ so I have SKY boarding priority. Am I still eligible for the SkyPriority security since I have SKY boarding status for Comfort+ seats?

Last time I flew, the Delta app on my phone had a big red "Sky Priority" banner in my trip information, this time it does not. My boarding pass does show SKY though.

Thank you
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: DL GM, Hyatt
Welcome.

MSP is my home base as well. With Comfort Plus, but no Gold Medallion or above status, you will NOT be able to use the Sky Priority security area. You WILL be able to board with zone SKY (right after Premium/First Class).

However, if you have TSA Precheck, you may use the Precheck line, which is right next to the Sky Priority security area.

If you are a business traveler, I would highly recommend looking at TSA Precheck, or for a few dollars more, Global Entry, as a way to get the Precheck status. It really does help speed through MSP security faster--most of the time.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I haven't looked recently, but MSP used to have a priority line for FOs down in the coach check in and security area, although MSP security will all be changed sometime soon.

There's also an all airlines elite security line to the right of the SkyPriority check in counters where some DL passengers have had luck with acceptance of FO cards or even DL credit cards.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Alright, cool. Thanks for all the info everyone!
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:58 pm

Did they recently move the SkyPriority security line? I noticed last Wednesday that the normal location was TSA Precheck only (both lines were running through as precheck where one is usually Precheck and the other SkyPriority). I had precheck this time, so didn't investigate further.

I'm curious for future reference.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:56 pm

Last time I was at MSP they had closed the Skypriority line as an early part of a larger security remodel.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When was that? I used the SkyPriority security line next to the SkyPriority check in area at MSP about a week ago. The check in counters had a card about the upcoming changes.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:10 pm

It was the morning of the 18th. The checkpoint by Skypriority check in was pre check only.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:59 pm

Same deal on the 25th
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When was that? I used the SkyPriority security line next to the SkyPriority check in area at MSP about a week ago. The check in counters had a card about the upcoming changes.
Do you have GE or PreCheck? I do and I used to have to go outside the Priority area after checking my bags to use PreCheck. The past few times, including today, I got in the line that used to be Priority and is now Priority PreCheck. You funnel into the PreCheck line instead of Priority regular screening. I only had to wait for 2 people in front of me to go through security.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stein07
Did they recently move the SkyPriority security line? I noticed last Wednesday that the normal location was TSA Precheck only (both lines were running through as precheck where one is usually Precheck and the other SkyPriority). I had precheck this time, so didn't investigate further.

I'm curious for future reference.
Yes. It moved to the south checkpoint until the new north checkpoint is done, at which point everything will be thrown up in the air. The eventual plan is to have only a north and south checkpoint, and none of the others in the middle.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
The former Sky Priority line, next to the Sky Priority check-in area, is now only Sky Priority PreCheck. The line for those with Sky Priority, but not PreCheck, has been moved to checkpoint 6, at the far end of the Delta counters. People in wheelchairs also use the Sky Priority entry but are then immediately directed into the employee/staff lane while the SP pax go to a shorter line than the regular pax.

I was told that this change is for a few weeks. It is an improvement for DL medallions who have PreCheck but inconvenient for medallions who don't have PreCheck and must now drop bags at SkyPriority and then trek farther to go through security.

As others have said above, the premier lane at checkpoint 2 accepts all elites, including FO.

I spent about six hours in the ticketing area yesterday as a Travelers Assistance volunteer. Some of these changes have occurred just since my last shift on Wednesday evening. There were lots of security personnel at the airport yesterday, and dogs as well.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
What is the current status of the checkpoints? I have GM so would normally go in Sky Priority line. However, I'm flying (*gasp*) AA tomorrow so obv no boarding pass with Sky Priority. Is there still a shorter line option for elites but not SP?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by curl
What is the current status of the checkpoints? I have GM so would normally go in Sky Priority line. However, I'm flying (*gasp*) AA tomorrow so obv no boarding pass with Sky Priority. Is there still a shorter line option for elites but not SP?
Starting tomorrow, most of the South (DL) T1 TSA checkpoint will be closed for installation of the automated bin system. PreCheck will still operate there.

Your DL elite status should be good for getting you into the FC and elite line at the North (other airlines, but also good for DL A/B/C gates) checkpoint if you are departing on DL.

I don't know what happens when you have elite status with one alliance and are departing on a carrier that isn't in the same alliance or otherwise a partner.

Expect long lines and delays. Once again.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
uggghhh... I am fearing long lines again. especially with 7am and 6:30am departures this week. (not good at getting myself there early) so the line is actually Sky Priority or elite of any airline?

Also, super bad question... since I fly more than 50K miles a year out of MSP... no laughing (and no, I'm not blonde) Is North the close end (non DL, as I think of it, or closest to ABC) and South is the far end?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.