Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by altabello
Flight/plane changes to my reservation JAC-MIA in May. Last leg on the outbound is now A320 instead of MD90, lost my seat reservation. First leg on the return also changed from MD90 to A320, and leaves 20 minutes later. I've lost my preferred seat on that one, and now have a shorter connection (1:01) in ATL, which worries me, cause I can't run b/c of a bad knee. Called yesterday, b/c the reservation showed up in shambles, 11 flights instead of 6, no seat assignments, etc. The agent that I got after 2 hour call back was very rude - told me that "all is fine", "the schedule change isn't complete yet", and "you might end up with a better itinerary" - ludicrous! He refused to rebook me to better flights I had figured out online, and claimed he couldn't switch the seat assignments. If one is assigned to 'preferred' seat, and there's an aircraft change, can one be put back into preferred seat on the new flight?
Actually the agent was exactly right on all counts

1) The schedule change DOES take several hours to complete and if your itinerary was showing extra unnecessary flights, then that is an indication that things are still in process, and you need to wait a bit for the dust to settle. It's not "ludicrous". It's a fact.

2) A 20-minute schedule change does NOT entitle you to a free rebooking. Period. Now that the dust has settled, I am certain that DL will rebook you on your preferred itinerary if you pay the fare difference plus the change fee

3) Seat assignments are largely meaningless when you are in the MIDDLE of an aircraft swap. Now that the dust has settled, you should be able to pick from any available seat yourself. If your status allows preferred seats, and there are some still available, you should be able to select them.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Ya, a bunch of plan changes back to back is frustrating. I travel to YUL fairly often and, most often, DTW works best. Hope they let you do that
Quick follow up: Both Delta, for us, and WestJet (issuing airline for the MIL codeshare ticket on DL sched-changed flights) were very accomodating. Despite my initial 'oh crap' reaction, I'll chalk this schedule change up to the plus column, even if I did have to make several phone calls to sort it out.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL
2) A 20-minute schedule change does NOT entitle you to a free rebooking. Period. Now that the dust has settled, I am certain that DL will rebook you on your preferred itinerary if you pay the fare difference plus the change fee.
3) Seat assignments are largely meaningless when you are in the MIDDLE of an aircraft swap. Now that the dust has settled, you should be able to pick from any available seat yourself. If your status allows preferred seats, and there are some still available, you should be able to select them.
Delta caused my connection in ATL to be too short for me, I picked a connection of well over an hour on purpose b/c of mobility issues - why should I now have to pay the change fee, if they caused the change?
I got the preferred seats assigned through TA, not status.
I thought an aircraft change allows me to rebook without change fee, even if the new connections don't violate MCT rules?
Even if the agent was "right on all counts", he could have mentioned his name, spoken clearly, explained what's going on, and informed me at what time/point I could call back to resolve the issues. None of that happened, he didn't even offer me pay for a flight change or seat upgrades. He was rude, and I gave him a "2" on the survey.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by altabello
Delta caused my connection in ATL to be too short for me, I picked a connection of well over an hour on purpose b/c of mobility issues - why should I now have to pay the change fee, if they caused the change?
I got the preferred seats assigned through TA, not status.
I thought an aircraft change allows me to rebook without change fee, even if the new connections don't violate MCT rules?
Even if the agent was "right on all counts", he could have mentioned his name, spoken clearly, explained what's going on, and informed me at what time/point I could call back to resolve the issues. None of that happened, he didn't even offer me pay for a flight change or seat upgrades. He was rude, and I gave him a "2" on the survey.
Aircraft change doesn't give you any rebooking rights. Mobility issues might get you sympathy and a free rebook, you should definitely try that. But, by the rule, you are not entitled. DL will provide wheelchair service for free. And if you miss your connection, DL will provide you a new flight for free.

Preferred seats are not guaranteed after a plane change. I've never dealt with a TA, so I don't know how that works. I guess you can try asking TA to get you another preferred seat.

Rudeness is never good, hopefully the next agent you get will be much more pleasant
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Aircraft change only doesn't give you a freebie; it's when there's also a change in operating carrier (Delta Connection to or from mainline) that goes along with a swap from, say, a 717 to a CRJ 900 where change rules kick in.
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Delta Connection is not a carrier. It is a generic designation for any regional carrier operating as a Delta Regional Carrier. A change in carriers, even if its from one Delta Connection Carrier to another, qualifies as a change in carrier.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I had a few changes on upcoming flights today. Some remain open and I wonder if others will be changed since two flights were on an international ticket purchased 3 days ago.

Edited to say one more flight change: flight number, flight time, aircraft change.

Last edited by Xeno; Mar 31, 2018 at 12:53 pm
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta GM
Changed flight to HNL to arrive two hours later. Wondered if you all would give me your input on my options (what you would prefer, why, any input I might not think about, etc).

Was originally scheduled DTW-LAX-HNL. It appears I have the option to connect through ATL (MD90 & 764), SLC (A321 & 763), or SEA (757 & 753). All are comparable departure/arrival/travel times and all still have exit row seats available on both legs.

I know routing through ATL would garner a few more MQMs but likely have less of an upgrade chance (though I am only FO, traveling with a companion, so I'm not banking on an upgrade). Along those lines, though, which routing might maximize the odds of an upgrade?

Is there anything i'm overlooking? Really the only difference that is apparent to me is the ~400 additional MQMs routing through ATL.

ETA: flights are ex-DTW on a Wednesday morning late Sept, onward to HNL departing late morning local from ATL/SLC/SEA

Last edited by JoelThomas; Apr 1, 2018 at 1:53 pm Reason: Add flight days/times
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by JoelThomas
Changed flight to HNL to arrive two hours later. Wondered if you all would give me your input on my options (what you would prefer, why, any input I might not think about, etc).

Was originally scheduled DTW-LAX-HNL. It appears I have the option to connect through ATL (MD90 & 764), SLC (A321 & 763), or SEA (757 & 753). All are comparable departure/arrival/travel times and all still have exit row seats available on both legs.

I know routing through ATL would garner a few more MQMs but likely have less of an upgrade chance (though I am only FO, traveling with a companion, so I'm not banking on an upgrade). Along those lines, though, which routing might maximize the odds of an upgrade?

Is there anything i'm overlooking? Really the only difference that is apparent to me is the ~400 additional MQMs routing through ATL.
763 and 764 gives you 2 seats next to the window (you have your own row to yourselves) whereas 753 you'll be sharing with a stranger. I'd forget about the upgrade and go thru ATL (you also get your own row on the MD90) but that's fairly short flight of course
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta GM
763 and 764 gives you 2 seats next to the window (you have your own row to yourselves) whereas 753 you'll be sharing with a stranger. I'd forget about the upgrade and go thru ATL (you also get your own row on the MD90) but that's fairly short flight of course
That's a good point, the 2-3-2 layout instead of 3-3-3. Sitting next to a stranger isn't the end of the world, but having the row to ourselves is beneficial.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
^
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I’m about done with this itinerary. Third schedule change in as many weeks, second time the KLM part has been completely screwed up.

I think I’m going to ask for a refund at this point.

Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM
It appears that KLM has changed the flight 1519 from 9:00 AM to 1:45 PM, but have also added a flight 1515 which departs AMS at 9:00 AM (same time as
your original flight). I would ask for that flight
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I had several changes like weekend two of which made significant revisions in an international flight to OTP.

Today so far I have 4 changes to domestic flights that are part of international trips (HKG, SCL).
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:48 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Delta loves to get my hopes up. I have an itinerary with a cursed CRJ-200 on it and I've gotten two schedule change notifications and I prayed for an equipment swap. Nope, just flight number changes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.