Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Sorry, I don't fly Delta very often and figured that this was a quick question. I have a one-way MBS-DTW-SCE that they sent out a schedule change last week. The result was a 4+ hour connection in DTW and arrival in SCE moved from 1:30PM to 6:00 PM. I called in and the only option was to shorten the connection by taking a later flight out of MBS (they only have 2 flights DTW-SCE now and they both arrive after 6:00 PM). My question is whether I might be able to cancel this non-refundable ticket or not due to arriving much later in the day. I know on UA, you are generally SOL if you have accepted the changes or made an adjustment due to the schedule change.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tods27
Sorry, I don't fly Delta very often and figured that this was a quick question. I have a one-way MBS-DTW-SCE that they sent out a schedule change last week. The result was a 4+ hour connection in DTW and arrival in SCE moved from 1:30PM to 6:00 PM. I called in and the only option was to shorten the connection by taking a later flight out of MBS (they only have 2 flights DTW-SCE now and they both arrive after 6:00 PM). My question is whether I might be able to cancel this non-refundable ticket or not due to arriving much later in the day. I know on UA, you are generally SOL if you have accepted the changes or made an adjustment due to the schedule change.
Yes, you are entitled to cancel for full refund
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Yes, you are entitled to cancel for full refund
Even after I accepted changes?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Even after I accepted changes?
Depends what you mean. The general rule of thumb is that, for a substantial enough change (large enough schedule change, or operating carrier), you get one "free" voluntary change (or cancellation for a full refund). Merely clicking "accept" on the DL web site does *not* give up this "right".
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Depends what you mean. The general rule of thumb is that, for a substantial enough change (large enough schedule change, or operating carrier), you get one "free" voluntary change (or cancellation for a full refund). Merely clicking "accept" on the DL web site does *not* give up this "right".
Thanks for the clarification. In my case, I think that this means I'm done as I called in and had them make an additional change to the MBS-DTW flight, so that should count as my one "free" change.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Thanks for the clarification. In my case, I think that this means I'm done as I called in and had them make an additional change to the MBS-DTW flight, so that should count as my one "free" change.
Ah, I wasn't sure whether you had them rebook that way or if that was merely the option they gave you and you were mulling it over.

Especially if this was recent, if you'd rather cancel (or maybe switch to the day before) you could try calling back and saying you weren't aware you had any other option at the time, and you've changed your mind given the much later arrival. Just asking nicely works surprising wonders sometimes although sure other times you get an unsympathetic agent Not much to lose other than your time on the phone though.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:28 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
I have always been successful making multiple changes by calling up Delta and saying I had a schedule change, Delta agent offered X, but I have now found Y that works better for me, or that X doesn't work and I would like to cancel. Never been a problem. Hang up and call again if you find a non cooperating agent. Best of luck
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PM
Last month we booked a family trip to Rome for the holidays, single PNR, 7 travelers, (Main Cabin - T fare). Much research went into this, and the two requirements we had were Delta metal, and non-stop (my Dad is the hold out on that one). The quality of the AZ product (and reviews) did not seem great by any means. This is out outbound (the segment in question):

Dec 23 2019
DL444 - JFK-FCO - (19.38 - 10.15 +1 day)

Two weeks later (May 25) they notified us of a schedule change: DL444 has been removed from the schedule that day, and we've been put on AZ611 (21.50 - 12.05 +1 day). It appears that DL444 has only been removed on 12/23, as it's still available on 12/22 and 12/24. I have not called Delta yet, nor have I accepted the change online. I know that we're entitled to alternatives but currently the only non-stop options left on 12/23 are both AZ metal.

Curious to hear your suggestions on what I should do...these are my current thoughts/questions. I also know that we can cancel for a full refund.
  • Keep waiting, perhaps DL will resume their non-stop flight on 12/23. In your experiences, it's this realistic?
  • Call Delta and ask if they would be willing to rebook us the day before on DL metal (I know they have no obligation to do this free of charge)
  • Unlikely, but convince my Dad to consider a 1-stop (He'll refuse an EU connection for sure, so current US options appear to be BOS, ATL, MIA).
    • If we take a 1-stop option, and in the coming months the non-stop re-appears, would Delta put us back on it free of charge (I know I'd have to ask, but perhaps someone has had a similar experience?)
  • Other options I haven't considered? What's your recommendation?
Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Zero chance the flight will re-appear. Delta runs a reduced schedule through the slow winter months. It's not just the 23rd that it does not operate. It does not operate on any Monday's and Wednesday's from mid-Nov through February. They also drop the Friday flight in mid-January. The schedule does not return to daily until March.
Schmoops likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Schmoops
Last month we booked a family trip to Rome for the holidays, single PNR, 7 travelers, (Main Cabin - T fare). Much research went into this, and the two requirements we had were Delta metal, and non-stop (my Dad is the hold out on that one). The quality of the AZ product (and reviews) did not seem great by any means. This is out outbound (the segment in question):

Dec 23 2019

Two weeks later (May 25) they notified us of a schedule change: DL444 has been removed from the schedule that day, and we've been put on AZ611 (21.50 - 12.05 +1 day). It appears that DL444 has only been removed on 12/23, as it's still available on 12/22 and 12/24. I have not called Delta yet, nor have I accepted the change online. I know that we're entitled to alternatives but currently the only non-stop options left on 12/23 are both AZ metal.

Curious to hear your suggestions on what I should do...these are my current thoughts/questions. I also know that we can cancel for a full refund.
  • Keep waiting, perhaps DL will resume their non-stop flight on 12/23. In your experiences, it's this realistic?
  • Call Delta and ask if they would be willing to rebook us the day before on DL metal (I know they have no obligation to do this free of charge)
  • Unlikely, but convince my Dad to consider a 1-stop (He'll refuse an EU connection for sure, so current US options appear to be BOS, ATL, MIA).
    • If we take a 1-stop option, and in the coming months the non-stop re-appears, would Delta put us back on it free of charge (I know I'd have to ask, but perhaps someone has had a similar experience?)
Thanks for your help!
Forget about option 1, very unlikely the flight will come back. And if by some chance it does, DL will put you back on it without any difficulty anyway, so there's no reason to wait and see.

I think DL will gladly rebook you on the 22nd or 24th without any hesitation or fees. Seriously, should only take 3 minutes on the phone. If you are happy with that option, seems like an easy choice to me. If you do encounter hesitation, asking for a full refund should quickly get you over that hump (or just say thanks anyway and call back).

FYI, accepting the change online has no impact on anything and in no way reduces your bargaining position.

You could also switch to a 2-stop itinerary JFK-ATL-CDG-MCO to teach your dad not to be so rigid
Schmoops likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Schmoops

Dec 23 2019

Thanks for your help!
No issues changing by a day. DL policy allows this, and even allows you to change the return by same amount. You'll have no issues getting put back, if it comes back. The flights that arrive on 24/5th are frequently cut back due to most wanting in before 24th.

Why is Dad scared of one stop?
Schmoops likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No issues changing by a day. DL policy allows this, and even allows you to change the return by same amount. You'll have no issues getting put back, if it comes back. The flights that arrive on 24/5th are frequently cut back due to most wanting in before 24th.

Why is Dad scared of one stop?
He's being onerous. We won the battle of him agreeing to come in the first place - so I'm trying hard not to rock the boat.

I sorted the flights, and my sister the AirBNB, so will have her confirm we can add a day on to our reservation in the front, and then will call delta to make the change.

Thank you @flyerCO, @kjnangre, and @xliioper, your insight is appreciated!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
is it possible to change destination?

Quite a big change. The morning 6am flight from SJC to MSP disappeared and the new departure is 5 hours later, which makes the connection (SJC-MSP-PHL) impossible. When I booked the original ticket, I also booked with AA PHL-SCE that night. Since the schedule change, is it possible to change the destination to let Delta fly me SJC-DTW-SCE? Maybe the chance is 0 but will definitely ask when platinum line doesn't need to wait for 2 hours... or any experience in trying to change destination when schedule change hits? thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by lonelygod
Quite a big change. The morning 6am flight from SJC to MSP disappeared and the new departure is 5 hours later, which makes the connection (SJC-MSP-PHL) impossible. When I booked the original ticket, I also booked with AA PHL-SCE that night. Since the schedule change, is it possible to change the destination to let Delta fly me SJC-DTW-SCE? Maybe the chance is 0 but will definitely ask when platinum line doesn't need to wait for 2 hours... or any experience in trying to change destination when schedule change hits? thanks!
The chance is 0. DL will gladly rebook you to PHL thru DTW or ATL tho, hopefully in time to catch your AA flight. Why did you book such a complex itinerary in the first place?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lonelygod
You can ask, but its doubtful. Would leaving night before work? They're more willing to do that. Also is there any combination of flights that get you in on top?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.