Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Are you in D1? If so, and if ATL-LAX is on the 777, then I'd do GRU-ATL-LAX. Otherwise, it'd be a no brainer for me to do GRU-JFK-LAX due to the lie-flat cross-country.

If you're in coach? Then I'd go via ATL.
GRU-ATL and GRU-JFK are both on the A330. While I am in Y (unless I end up using my GUCs when I get them later this year), I can always angle for upgrades (hopefully).
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:08 pm

Didnt receive an email but our flight changed to connection at LAX which is under MCT. Tried to ask for routing to SWF rather than JFK as DL has been very liberal in the past in allowing it. Tried tonight and first agent seemed tired, said only the specific flights into JFK that she pulled up would be allowed (2 flights. 1 earlier, 1 later). I politely declined.
HUCA
2nd agent more friendly. She said that she would look into it. Came back and said 95,000 miles per person to change. I respectfully declined and thanked her for looking into.

Im curious if this is a new standard.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lovefly88
Didnt receive an email but our flight changed to connection at LAX which is under MCT. Tried to ask for routing to SWF rather than JFK as DL has been very liberal in the past in allowing it. Tried tonight and first agent seemed tired, said only the specific flights into JFK that she pulled up would be allowed (2 flights. 1 earlier, 1 later). I politely declined.
HUCA
2nd agent more friendly. She said that she would look into it. Came back and said 95,000 miles per person to change. I respectfully declined and thanked her for looking into.

Would be helpful to know your full itinerary and what you would like to change to. You should be allowed any reasonable itinerary that same day with the same origin and destination. Changing your destination is always gonna be at the agent's discretion.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:09 am

HUCA

What did the 3rd and 4th agents say? HUACA.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Would be helpful to know your full itinerary and what you would like to change to. You should be allowed any reasonable itinerary that same day with the same origin and destination. Changing your destination is always gonna be at the agent's discretion.
original is SEA LAX JFK. desire to replace JFK with SWF
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
As it was after midnight last night when I was calling, not sure what the chances were of getting the same agent. Definitely didnt want any notes written on my PNR so after two failed attempts figured Id wait until today.

Think this is an issue if HUCA until get an agent who can / will?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

original is SEA LAX JFK. desire to replace JFK with SWF
Were you booked into D1 on LAX-JFK? I could see how absence of D1 flights into SWF would make the system hiccup. SEA-DTW-SWF ought to be an easy grant.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Were you booked into D1 on LAX-JFK? I could see how absence of D1 flights into SWF would make the system hiccup. SEA-DTW-SWF ought to be an easy grant.
I wish we were D1. But no were actually on a BE skymiles ticket. At first, the agent said theyre 100% unchangeable but when I mentioned we go below the MCT then she agreed it should be changeable but held to her guns on no SWF

Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I'm booked on a BOS-JFK-DFW flight next month. From what I've seen, JFK can be a bit of a mess on some days due to the runway construction. My connection at JFK is a bit close for comfort given the construction issue, but still within MCT for domestic to domestic.

When I booked my flights, both legs were operated by SkyWest. A schedule change replaced the second leg with a flight operated by Endeavor. Is a change in (express) carrier a fee-waive-able reason to get a free change to either extend the connection or change the connection point?

I am aware that if all else fails, I can see if I can do a SDC, but with a V fare, I don't think my chances of success are very good.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
Update:

Called again yesterday. Our flight yesterday (entirely different trip) on DL was delayed by 1 hr. Called to see if could be rebooked on an earlier flight. Was all sold out. Asked if could the change to SWF be made for September as a courtesy due to the delay. No.

Friends still took us to the airport, called again asking if they could overbook us on the flight they said no. Asked if could the change to SWF be made for September as a courtesy due to the delay. No. Asked if I could speak with supervisor. Kindly asked if she had the ability to put us on earlier flight and she said completely full. Asked same thing of consideration could be made for September due to us now arriving at almost 1a instead of 11:30 (flight had additional delay by this time). She said absolutely not. I tried to reason with her that I understand schedule changes but this is two changes that Im being inconvenienced on, could a bit of flexibility be made. Yes, Ill give you $25 e-cert or allow you to change your time for September flights for no fee collected. I asked if that was actually something she would be doing because my understanding is as the flight is under MCT it has to be changed. Thats not a customer service gesture but an illegal connection. She conceded that yes I would no longer be able to be on my scheduled flights. I politely declined the $25 as I saw this was going no where.

We arrive at airport. Get through security with HBO. Go to the earlier flight and agent said completely full no seats left. As closing a flight can be busy, went to the next gate over which was empty and the GA was just sitting there. Asked if she could help just with rebooking and she said call the number on the red card. (At this point I cant believe how far DL customer service has declined.)

call the number. Got an amazing agent. She put us on the earlier flight, connecting via atl rather than direct. I asked if she could at all possible look into our pnr for September. She was more than happy to do it. I explained that I called earlier and did not have a good experience, therefore there may be notes in the file. She confirmed this saying that notes indicated do not change the flight to SWF without collecting increase in miles. The agent said my request was perfectly reasonable, apologized for the delay, gave us the exact flights we wanted, and thanked us for being a loyal customer.

Resolved!!!!

p.s. sorry for the long story.

P.p.s. So happy we rebooked thru ATL as our original flight was eventually cancelled. They said was due to mechanical issues.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
A schedule change replaced the second leg with a flight operated by Endeavor. Is a change in (express) carrier a fee-waive-able reason to get a free change to either extend the connection or change the connection point?
Any carrier change - even among the carriers of Delta Connection - allows you to get a refund if you find DL won't change the timing to suit you.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:11 am

Schedule change

Currently scheduled on flights RSW-ATL-MSP for 12/27. Schedule change resulted in 75 min change. I called to ask to be put on direct flight (leaving at same time). Said couldn't do it, flight HAD to go through ATL. ????. Is this another case of HUCA until I get someone helpful? No status.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
.... I asked if she could at all possible look into our pnr for September. She was more than happy to do it. I explained that I called earlier and did not have a good experience, therefore there may be notes in the file. She confirmed this saying that notes indicated do not change the flight to SWF without collecting increase in miles. The agent said my request was perfectly reasonable, apologized for the delay, gave us the exact flights we wanted, and thanked us for being a loyal customer.

Resolved!!!!
​​​​
... on a BE skymiles ticket. At first, the agent said theyre 100% unchangeable but when I mentioned we go below the MCT then she agreed it should be changeable but held to her guns on no SWF
glad to hear you eventually got a good result ... but it really appears that the "BE, therefore absolutely no changes" paradigm was dominating the first few agents' thought processes (e.g., the agent offered you the only two LAX-JFK options that still had BE inventory available)
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by tscateh
Currently scheduled on flights RSW-ATL-MSP for 12/27. Schedule change resulted in 75 min change. I called to ask to be put on direct flight (leaving at same time). Said couldn't do it, flight HAD to go through ATL. ????. Is this another case of HUCA until I get someone helpful? No status.
Yes it is.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tscateh
Said couldn't do it, flight HAD to go through ATL. ????
Do you have a broken fare, or a single fare component RSW-MSP?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.