Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:55 pm

I can't belive they had schedule changes even the day after Christmas!
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by michael_v
Just consider it a belated Christmas gift from DL to us all
Old Dec 26, 2015, 9:16 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
One of my flights for April -- an "undesirable yet very cheap" itinerary that I did purchase with full knowledge that it was both undesirable and very cheap -- changed today. Carrier changed from "Expressjet dba Delta Connection" to "Endeavor Air dba Delta Connection" while time difference is 5 minutes.

I know that a "free" change without fees or upcharges can be triggered by a change of carrier between DL mainline and one of the other regional jet carriers. I realize this is totally a "gaming the system" question but does anyone know if a change from Expressjet to Endeavor constitutes a change of carrier even though both are dba Delta Connection?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by kpbadger
One of my flights for April -- an "undesirable yet very cheap" itinerary that I did purchase with full knowledge that it was both undesirable and very cheap -- changed today. Carrier changed from "Expressjet dba Delta Connection" to "Endeavor Air dba Delta Connection" while time difference is 5 minutes.

I know that a "free" change without fees or upcharges can be triggered by a change of carrier between DL mainline and one of the other regional jet carriers. I realize this is totally a "gaming the system" question but does anyone know if a change from Expressjet to Endeavor constitutes a change of carrier even though both are dba Delta Connection?
Yes, that is considered a change of carrier. Technically, Delta is only required to allow you a refund, but there's a good chance they'll allow a change of timing.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
Every Saturday as of late it seems?

But this last one was #WINNING for me with perfect changes to full flats & co terminal joy!
pretty much every Saturday for a least the last few years. (as long as i have really started keeping up with it.....longer than I have been on FT)

The difference is because of the overall focus on capacity management for every day, every route, every single flight, it is much more noticeable than it use to be unless you would buy tickets very far in advance.
Originally Posted by michael_v
airline doesn't ever shut down.....
Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just one minor tweak for me, a DTW-ATL-RDU routing had departure changes of 15 minutes per flight. I was hoping they'd swap out the MD-88s for better aircraft but no such luck.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by davetravels
The only one I can find on my trips, is, EWR/ATL/LAX changed from a 50 minute connection to 35!!!

It's not showing "RED" and I checked the schedule, and IT'S THERE! So, apparently, 35 minutes is a legal DD connection at ATL!

That said, I'm not really comfortable with it, so, I looked for alternatives, hoping they'll change it for me, but, nothing else really looks good to me without changing hubs and losing MQMs! I could ask for LGA vs EWR, but that's a 44 minute connection. Not a whole lot better.

THAT said . . . . I suppose I SHOULD try to change it. If I miss ATL/LAX and get a cr@ppy seat for a later flight - particularly on a B739 - I'll be REALLY peeved!
As long as you're in F or C+ on the inbound you should have no trouble with a 35 min connect at ATL. I have them regularly and have never missed one. Your big potential issue is a WX delay at EWR in which case you're SOL.

As always, line up your alternatives: ATL-SLC/MSY/SFO/SEA/SAN/DTW/MSP-LAX all get you there (depending on time of the day) and if you're looking for MQM's they'll usually give you any routing you want that works and you can get really creative.

I was in danger of missing a SLC-MSY recently and I asked for and got backup for SLC-LAX-ATL-MSY. There were a few longer routings I could have had but I had a time constraint on arrival.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by kpbadger

Deleted (duplicate info from earlier post that I missed).

Last edited by SuperG1955; Dec 27, 2015 at 8:29 am
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Just bump'in this one today of all days with the snowstorm mess but had almost 1 hr changes to a DL Shuttle America flight for 1FEB hit me overnight!

You may want to check your flights.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for the reminder. I got an obnoxious one, Delta has changed the last DTW-RDU flight from 8:00 PM to 9:55 PM. This means I now have a 5 hour layover at DTW in April. I may switch to an earlier flight which will give me a 45 minute layover. Still annoying though, especially as that'll mean flying a CR9 instead of mainline equipment.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:24 pm

Even if you don't have schedule changes, or if they're minor, be sure to look for equipment changes. If there are any, check your seat assignments, especially if travelling with someone and even more so if you're on separate PNR's.

I had three of those this weekend and got moved to seats I didn't want.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Even if you don't have schedule changes, or if they're minor, be sure to look for equipment changes. If there are any, check your seat assignments, especially if travelling with someone and even more so if you're on separate PNR's.

Had a 5 minute schedule change and a completely different plane. Glad I looked!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:39 am

I had one of those this weekend that freed up seats that I did want!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by LOCommish
Had a 5 minute schedule change and a completely different plane. Glad I looked!
Originally Posted by flyerwma
I had one of those this weekend that freed up seats that I did want!
As has been said; "Delta giveth and Delta taketh away." I find that most of the time they taketh from me and give it to a much less deserving person.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
I find that most of the time they taketh from me and give it to a much less deserving person.
ROAR and thank you for a outstanding belly laugh today. You so made my Monday better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.