Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Awesome! I'm not sure about that email rule tho. But hey, glad it worked
I'm skeptical too, but wasnt going to argue!
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:40 pm

First time poster, long time reader here. I have booked three 22k RT award tickets LAX LHR (via DTW outbound // via MSP return) in April with my wife and 8 month old (we elected to just get her own seat rather than lap infant given the low redemption rate). Just checked to see they cancelled my outbound 2nd leg (DL 18) which results in a missed connection at DTW. I was hoping to use this as an opportunity to rebook onto a nonstop VS 8 (DL 4385 codeshare) option. However, I have not had any luck with 1) FB Messenger 2) Online Chat 3) Phone Call Back. Should I continue to HUCA or is it clear I cannot rebook onto a VS codeshare on award travel? I have no DL status.

Assuming that I cannot, I have new options for LAX SLC LHR (via 763), LAX DTW LHR (via 333), LAX ATL LHR (via 764 “new interior”) and LAX JFK LHR (via 764 also “new interior”). Based on my reading here, the 764 new interiors are nice, but not guaranteed in April since it just started rolling out in November. Also 333 seems to have great reviews but difficult to get three seats across unless sitting in the very back due to the 2-4-2 configuration. All I can read about the 763 is it was preferred over the non-refurb 764s. I’ve also noticed that the routing via JFK would get us an additional meal on the LAX JFK segment (763) versus food for purchase for the other options. Any recommendations on these options... or should I continue to HUCA for the VS nonstop option? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by bgw210
First time poster, long time reader here. I have booked three 22k RT award tickets LAX LHR (via DTW outbound // via MSP return) in April with my wife and 8 month old (we elected to just get her own seat rather than lap infant given the low redemption rate). Just checked to see they cancelled my outbound 2nd leg (DL 18) which results in a missed connection at DTW. I was hoping to use this as an opportunity to rebook onto a nonstop VS 8 (DL 4385 codeshare) option. However, I have not had any luck with 1) FB Messenger 2) Online Chat 3) Phone Call Back. Should I continue to HUCA or is it clear I cannot rebook onto a VS codeshare on award travel? I have no DL status.

Assuming that I cannot, I have new options for LAX SLC LHR (via 763), LAX DTW LHR (via 333), LAX ATL LHR (via 764 “new interior”) and LAX JFK LHR (via 764 also “new interior”). Based on my reading here, the 764 new interiors are nice, but not guaranteed in April since it just started rolling out in November. Also 333 seems to have great reviews but difficult to get three seats across unless sitting in the very back due to the 2-4-2 configuration. All I can read about the 763 is it was preferred over the non-refurb 764s. I’ve also noticed that the routing via JFK would get us an additional meal on the LAX JFK segment (763) versus food for purchase for the other options. Any recommendations on these options... or should I continue to HUCA for the VS nonstop option? Thanks in advance.

It's clear. DL can only open up award inventory on its own metal. So they can only rebook you in award inventory on its own metal. Codeshares are only for revenue tickets. DL doesn't issue award travel on a DL coded flight operated by a codeshare partner. (But DL does sell a revenue ticket on a DL coded flight operated by a codeshare partner). Sorry.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by flyerwma
It's clear. DL can only open up award inventory on its own metal. So they can only rebook you in award inventory on its own metal. Codeshares are only for revenue tickets. DL doesn't issue award travel on a DL coded flight operated by a codeshare partner. (But DL does sell a revenue ticket on a DL coded flight operated by a codeshare partner). Sorry.
Thanks so much for the insight. Any recommendations on which routing or aircraft in April for three seats to LHR? Starting from LAX, I can either connect at 1) SLC on 763, 2) DTW or MSP on 333, 3) JFK or ATL on 764 “new interior”.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by bgw210
Thanks so much for the insight. Any recommendations on which routing or aircraft in April for three seats to LHR? Starting from LAX, I can either connect at 1) SLC on 763, 2) DTW or MSP on 333, 3) JFK or ATL on 764 “new interior”.
When one can avoid connecting in NYC, one should avoid connecting in NYC. So don't chose that option. For your little family of three, I would choose the 763 option in SLC. It may not be the new updated 764...but it allows you to chose a three seat middle section (over the 333 that is 4 seats in the middle and may require sharing with a stranger). Plus it has a much shorter domestic segment than connecting in an east coast hub so that you and the baby have time to settle down for the night.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:13 am

Question Delta Schedule Change... Options?

Hello All,
Just received notice of flight changes for a trip in August 2020. I know it is likely to change again, but am curious with the schedule change if I have any options other than accepting the change.
Original flight was BOI - SEA - CDG - ATH. Cost was 75,000 points + $22.50 T&F ea in Business (First-Delta One-Euro Biz) for myself and my wife. Original total flight times were depart Aug 23 11:45 am and arrive next day Aug 24 16:45.
This puts us in Athens in time for hotel check-in and dinner at the foot of the Acropolis.

Now flight looks like this: BOI - SEA - CDG - ATH; Depart Aug 23 12:50pm and arrive Aug 25 12:55am on Tuesday (0-dark-thirty).
There are other routes available similar to the original timing, but none for the 75,000 points ea we spent.
How likely is success if I contact Delta and ask for a change to a better itinerary without additional point cost?
I specifically booked WAY in advance (331 days) so I could get the good itinerary and low point cost.

Any insider ideas?

By the way, I am new to FT and if there is a better place to post this, please point me to the correct forum.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:20 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by livinlifeonpoints
Hello All,
Just received notice of flight changes for a trip in August 2020. I know it is likely to change again, but am curious with the schedule change if I have any options other than accepting the change.
Original flight was BOI - SEA - CDG - ATH. Cost was 75,000 points + $22.50 T&F ea in Business (First-Delta One-Euro Biz) for myself and my wife. Original total flight times were depart Aug 23 11:45 am and arrive next day Aug 24 16:45.
This puts us in Athens in time for hotel check-in and dinner at the foot of the Acropolis.

Now flight looks like this: BOI - SEA - CDG - ATH; Depart Aug 23 12:50pm and arrive Aug 25 12:55am on Tuesday (0-dark-thirty).
There are other routes available similar to the original timing, but none for the 75,000 points ea we spent.
How likely is success if I contact Delta and ask for a change to a better itinerary without additional point cost?
I specifically booked WAY in advance (331 days) so I could get the good itinerary and low point cost.

Any insider ideas?

By the way, I am new to FT and if there is a better place to post this, please point me to the correct forum.
Welcome to FT! You have a schedule change that changes your arrival time substantially, which pretty much gives you a blank check to pick whatever flights you want in the same class of service and propose them as an alternative to DL (you will not have to pay anything extra). In these circumstances they will typically accept pretty much anything within reason and even some things that might not be if you can make them sound plausible. The key is to do a bit of searching and figure out what flights you'd like to be on before you call in.

Here's the main thread for this sort of thing: Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Hello All,

Any insider ideas?

There is a schedule change thread on the DL FT page, I’ll ask the mods to merge this post here. Due to the schedule change being longer that 60 mins, you are entitled to a free change to any other flight on the same day, for free.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:38 am

Thank you for the quick info, it is appreciated. I will look into my options.

Also, thanks for the info on the Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be clear, DL will reroute you on any sensible routing which has availability in D1 / F for the various DL sectors (as well as lower cabins if it really came to it and you wanted it), without regard to fare bucket, e.g. redemption space. DL will also reroute onto the AF flight (I am presuming that is the CDG-ATH sector) if there is award space in J and could theoretically ask AF to open that space if there is none. Same thing for Y space as well on AF (and you might prefer convenient Y over inconvenient J given that intra-European J is simply a blocked middle seat).
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
There is a schedule change thread on the DL FT page, I’ll ask the mods to merge this post here. Due to the schedule change being longer that 60 mins, you are entitled to a free change to any other flight on the same day, for free.
Thank you for the quick info, it is appreciated. I will look into my options.

Also, thanks for the info on the Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread.
To clarify, OP is on an award ticket, so OP cannot just be rebooked onto “any flight” - there must be award space available. Now DL can force open space on its own flights but it has less flexibility to do so with partners.

OP you can look at DL operated flights. You can be rebooked via JFK on DL’s JFK-ATH flight if that flight is operating the day you are flying. You can also look at what flights are available via other European hubs (CDG, AMS) via a dummy booking. You don’t have to worry about what the fare is in miles, just whether the flight option has space available on any partner operated segments. I.e if you can find a BOI-MSP-CDG-ATH with CDG-ATH operated by AF and it gets into ATH way earlier than 12:55 AM, but it’s 80K or 320K miles, you don’t have to worry - DL can/will still book you on this option and waive the fare difference in miles due to the schedule change.

Best advice I can give is to have desired flights available before you call and ask the agent to rebook. Don’t ask the agent to search for itineraries. This will make it faster and easier for both of you.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

75K is AF/KL partner award level which means OP was on AF metal for SEA-CDG originally. Should still be able to get DL metal, just noting that's not a DL level. DL lowest level is 80K.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This means you can rebook onto any DL metal flight regardless if award space is open. Thus includes (and would be my pick) JFK-ATH. Much nicer flight, and wont need to connect to Euro Business . It doesn't matter what amount they charge now.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
OP

I would rebook to BOI-LAX-JFK-ATH

All on Delta. Delta can overbook their own space (as far as fare class goes).

Get AF and Euro Business out of this, and go direct into Athens on a flat bed flight - much much much nicer
AeRoSpaceman and Zorak like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
75K is AF/KL partner award level which means OP was on AF metal for SEA-CDG originally. Should still be able to get DL metal, just noting that's not a DL level. DL lowest level is 80K.
Original flight was booked DL on BOI - SEA; DL SEA - CDG; AF CDG - ATH.
I booked this 331 days out and it was booked via Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.