Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Appears that C+ is greyed out on all flights this weekend? Am I the only one seeing this? Assume due to schedule change Saturday
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
returning PRG-CDG-LAX-SMF in premium economy, got hit with a schedule change resulting in a 6 hour LAX layover, up from our originally scheduled 3 hours and 30 minutes

because it is premium economy, not a lot of other options, can fly PRG-CDG-ATL-SMF and get home 90 minutes earlier. unfortunately nothing good to SFO either.

travel is not till fall so will let this marinate for a while I guess and see if an earlier LAX-SMF gets added back in...otherwise will have to decide whether to switch to ATL, or buy a separate $60 WN ticket on a more reasonable departure time and have them drop off the segment LAX-SMF. what i'm really hoping for is a business class sale so i can just take a refund or an exchange of the ticket altogether and get a better routing in a better cabin.
I realize you posted this a couple weeks ago, but my recommendation would be even if there are no further schedule changes, to still keep the LAX-SMF segment, even if you still decide to book the cheap WN hop. Reason being is you'll still be protected in this case, and could then apply the WN ticket towards a future flight. If you arrive on time, you'll have to claim your bags in LAX anyway, and then you can just head over and to the WN terminal for your flight. But if your arrival into LAX is delayed and you miss the WN hop, you still have your booked LAX-SMF hop, and DL would be required to get you to SMF, either on the hop you originally booked or on a later flight if you even misconnected on that one.

You do say nothing good into SFO - doesn't AF fly to SFO? Why wouldn't PRG-CDG-SFO work?
AF also flies into SEA. Would PRG-CDG-SEA-SMF be an option too?
ETA: VS has Premium Economy. Some potential options there. PRG-AMS/CDG-LHR-SFO (though double-connecting and only getting to SFO may not be ideal). Maybe PRG-LHR on Czech Airlines if there's a DL Codeshare, then VS in PE to SFO, or VS to LAX or SEA then onward to SMF?

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jun 30, 2018 at 8:22 pm
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL PM / MM Ex UA & US Gold Starwood & Hilton Gold
This change also effected our PHL DTW SLC HNL trip booked through Delta Vacations. When I called them they stated that our out bound had 2 connections and that is all they could re-book us on. They they offered PHL DTW SEA HNL. I informed they that was not acceptable and we would cancel and book with someone else. They said that the we let me know in 24 to 48. Hours. Delta Vacations customer service is now poor at best.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Duke787
Appears that C+ is greyed out on all flights this weekend? Am I the only one seeing this? Assume due to schedule change Saturday
I've had that happen before and it did indeed resolve itself a few hours later and I was able to select seats correctly.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JA610
This change also effected our PHL DTW SLC HNL trip booked through Delta Vacations. When I called them they stated that our out bound had 2 connections and that is all they could re-book us on. They they offered PHL DTW SEA HNL. I informed they that was not acceptable and we would cancel and book with someone else. They said that the we let me know in 24 to 48. Hours. Delta Vacations customer service is now poor at best.
I've had DL itself (not DL Vacation) even give me that line of reasoning. Very frustrating. Had SEA-ATL-RDU booked. When I initially booked, the SEA-RDU nonstop was a redeye flight so I didn't take that. After a schedule change on my SEA-ATL-RDU flight, I was looking at alternate options and saw the nonstop SEA-RDU had been moved to a daytime flight, leaving around the same time my SEA-ATL leg was departing. I asked DL to put me on the nonstop. They said no. Said they could only put me on a one-stop because that's what I booked initially, even when I explained that there was no daytime nonstop available when I booked. And this was last year when I was a DM and trying to get this. Even a couple HUCAs didn't help.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM / MM Ex UA & US Gold Starwood & Hilton Gold
Your problem is very similar to ours. When we booked the only one connection flight was PHL ATL HNL in Delta 1. The cost was almost double what we paid. They have since added PHL MSP HNL which we would have booked. When DL added this flight I asked about changing our flights and they informed me it would cost
$ 800.00 more per person I said No Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JA610
This change also effected our PHL DTW SLC HNL trip booked through Delta Vacations. When I called them they stated that our out bound had 2 connections and that is all they could re-book us on.
I wonder if you have a broken fare, not one component PHL-HNL, but maybe PHL-SLC + SLC-HNL. It could save you money but if they want to continue to apply all fare rules after schedule changes it will limit your options.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Schedule change from Delta One Nonstop to Delta First Connecting

I bought a sub $800 Delta One SFO-BOS round trip that had a schedule change eliminating the SFO-BOS non-stop flight (changed to SFO-DTW-BOS in F) and also changed the return BOS-SFO flight to 90 minutes earlier. I intended to sleep on the outbound flight. Would I be able to change to SFO-JFK-BOS (Delta One SFO-JFK) without much problem and change the return to BOS-JFK-SFO (Delta One JFK-SFO) departing closer to my original departure time? Also, if the non-stop redeye is reinstated and/or the return flight changes back to its original time would I be able to change again without a charge?

Thanks,
misterfuss
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by misterfuss
I bought a sub $800 Delta One SFO-BOS round trip that had a schedule change eliminating the SFO-BOS non-stop flight (changed to SFO-DTW-BOS in F) and also changed the return BOS-SFO flight to 90 minutes earlier. I intended to sleep on the outbound flight. Would I be able to change to SFO-JFK-BOS (Delta One SFO-JFK) without much problem and change the return to BOS-JFK-SFO (Delta One JFK-SFO) departing closer to my original departure time? Also, if the non-stop redeye is reinstated and/or the return flight changes back to its original time would I be able to change again without a charge?

Thanks,
misterfuss
As long as your SFO-BOS fare was in D1, I don't think you would receive much pushback to get SFO-JFK-BOS. If necessary, elevate to a supervisor but I suspect you shouldn't have to. For your second question, that is more iffy. Generally you're allowed one change and then unless there's another schedule change, you won't get another free one. In your case, it's hard to say. I do think you could make a case (and that you had the nonstop originally which was canceled should be visible to DL) but whether or not DL would allow it through is going to be hit or miss.
misterfuss likes this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jun 30, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
As long as your SFO-BOS fare was in D1, I don't think you would receive much pushback to get SFO-JFK-BOS. If necessary, elevate to a supervisor but I suspect you shouldn't have to. For your second question, that is more iffy. Generally you're allowed one change and then unless there's another schedule change, you won't get another free one. In your case, it's hard to say. I do think you could make a case (and that you had the nonstop originally which was canceled should be visible to DL) but whether or not DL would allow it through is going to be hit or miss.
Thank you. I will call them on Monday to request the changes.

Last edited by misterfuss; Jun 30, 2018 at 8:42 pm Reason: to add quote
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
They're entitled to rebook in D1. D1 is an actual different product from F. Should be no pushback. Rebooking system doesn't know it's caused a downgrade. AFA it's concerned, OP is still in the premium cabin.

Agree on the last part. Would have a case, but most likely no, however doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Having to HUCA for a schedule change is really insulting. No, I'm not going to waitlist my already cleared RUC because you decided to dramatically change my itinerary.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by misterfuss
Thank you. I will call them on Monday to request the changes.
If you want to wait to see whether SFO-BOS restarts with D1 service, why would you call immediately? Wait until a few days before and make the change to whichever flight you want. (You could theoretically end up with zero open seats on your given day to fly between JFK and SFO, but that seems very unlikely.)
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:45 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by WWads
Having to HUCA for a schedule change is really insulting. No, I'm not going to waitlist my already cleared RUC because you decided to dramatically change my itinerary.
Yeah, this sort of thing is worth filing a complaint IMO.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
Yeah, this sort of thing is worth filing a complaint IMO.
It was a mistake of mine to call on a Sunday. I've found that the good agents only work weekdays. Weekends (especially Sundays) are bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.