Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
So my UK itinerary has changed again, for the 4th time. It's yet again the KLM segment flipping to the afternoon for absolutely no reason. The worst part is that I got a call from some moron in India informing me of the change, when anyone with a brain should be able to see that the 0900 flight that I originally booked still exists.

Today's call should be interesting.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
So my UK itinerary has changed again, for the 4th time. It's yet again the KLM segment flipping to the afternoon for absolutely no reason. The worst part is that I got a call from some moron in India informing me of the change, when anyone with a brain should be able to see that the 0900 flight that I book still exists.

Today's call should be interesting.
The problem is your flight still exists, it's just been moved to a later time. If the flight number had changed then the system would be looking for a flight closest to original time. As for agent, they just see what the computer tells them. In this case that your flight has had a time change, but still exists . They have no way of knowing that they moved a flight time to later, to just add another flight at exact same time. If anything logic would dictate that the new flight number would be for the time your flight was changed to.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
This is the third if not fourth Saturday in a row where I have multiple changes to domestic flights for upcoming international trips.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The problem is your flight still exists, it's just been moved to a later time. If the flight number had changed then the system would be looking for a flight closest to original time. As for agent, they just see what the computer tells them. In this case that your flight has had a time change, but still exists . They have no way of knowing that they moved a flight time to later, to just add another flight at exact same time. If anything logic would dictate that the new flight number would be for the time your flight was changed to.
That depends on the logic used. Some routes use sequential or sequentially patterned flight numbers with increasing flight numbers for flights later in the day. That itself, is a logic and thus if a another flight is added, the logic built in impacts the flight numbers assigned to the flights based on what flight numbers remain available. (This is an observation, not an argument for or against this style of logic).
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
That depends on the logic used. Some routes use sequential or sequentially patterned flight numbers with increasing flight numbers for flights later in the day. That itself, is a logic and thus if a another flight is added, the logic built in impacts the flight numbers assigned to the flights based on what flight numbers remain available. (This is an observation, not an argument for or against this style of logic).
This is true. Have had a problem with other airline flights renumbering a few times - exact same flight times, aircraft, just flight number changes, and then ticket not being reissued to reflect it. So, this is very much true, and while rarely a problem for operating airline tickets, can be an issue in case of tickets issued by another (e.g. alliance) airline.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
The return FCO-JFK flight on my trip to Italy in October was changed this morning, leaving two hours later. In this case I like the schedule change, can head out to the airport at 8:30AM-ish now, instead of 6:30am-ish on a Sunday morning. Flight number and aircraft are the same. The outbound JFK-MXP also remains unchanged.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:58 pm

My ATL-ANC flight just got changed back to the domestic 767-300. It has flip flopped between a 757-200 and the domestic 767-300. I thought I read somewhere here that they were retiring the domestic 767-300 after the super bowl. How many are still flying?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Yet another weekend with more changes. Delta seems to be on a tear.

One change I dislike is losing my chosen seat and the alternative for ATL-SCL (Feb 2019). I bought this thing recently as early as would could purchase. This is paid D1 and not on sale.

I asked DL and they told me something like the seat was being "re-accommodated". I was told to wait until Monday but I will be flying to BOG. In any event, I do not remember this kind of language ad a supervisor could did not see an immediate solution.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
Originally Posted by MelP
The return FCO-JFK flight on my trip to Italy in October was changed this morning, leaving two hours later. In this case I like the schedule change, can head out to the airport at 8:30AM-ish now, instead of 6:30am-ish on a Sunday morning. Flight number and aircraft are the same. The outbound JFK-MXP also remains unchanged.
And a week later this flight has changed times again, to one hour earlier than last week. Now it's just one hour later than my original booking. Difference this time is that it prompted me to accept change, last week I just got an email, which I did not get this time, that it changed. Gonna have to keep a close eye on this one with so many changes!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by kdonnel
My ATL-ANC flight just got changed back to the domestic 767-300. It has flip flopped between a 757-200 and the domestic 767-300. I thought I read somewhere here that they were retiring the domestic 767-300 after the super bowl. How many are still flying?
The last two are N140LL and N1402A, both of which are scheduled to be retired later this year.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Asking for our friends, because they have no status and I don't know the answer to their question(s):

Original: July 25, GTF-SLC-LAX Depart 6:20am, arrive 9:33am.
Great Falls to Salt Lake flight cancelled
Now: GTF-MSP-LAX Depart 6:00am, arrive 1:08pm.

Will they get Delta agree to any of these options:

1. July 25, HLN-SLC-LAX, depart 6:30am, arrive 9:33am (and fly back in to Helena on the return)
2. July 24, GTF-SLC-LAX Depart 5:50pm, arrive 9:17pm (keep original return flights).
3. July 24, GTF-SLC; July 25, take original SLC-LAX flight (keep original return flights).
4. Complete refund, no penalty.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kchoya
Asking for our friends, because they have no status and I don't know the answer to their question(s):

1. July 25, HLN-SLC-LAX, depart 6:30am, arrive 9:33am (and fly back in to Helena on the return)
2. July 24, GTF-SLC-LAX Depart 5:50pm, arrive 9:17pm (keep original return flights).
3. July 24, GTF-SLC; July 25, take original SLC-LAX flight (keep original return flights).
I'm going to answer these in order of most to least likely
4. Yes definitely. You are entitled to this. They might try to offer you something else. But they cannot and will not refuse a full refund.
2. Almost certainly. If you can give a reason why 1pm arrival is too late for you, they will very likely accept this solution
1. Decent chance. By rule, they won't do this. But if you can convince them that 1pm is too late AND that you cannot fly the day before, this is the only option left and I think you will succeed.
3. Less likely. This is a broken fare (connection greater than 4 hours). They don't like to do that.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kchoya

Yes. I have gotten DL to agree to all 4 options.

Which do your friends most prefer? Have fares gone down? If so, pick option 4 and rebook.

If they got a great deal, whichever of the other 3 they MOST prefer, DL will do. May need HUCA. But I have definitely had them break the 4 hour connection rule when there weren't alternatives and I wanted to keep my flights on DL

The key: don't call proposing multiple options. Then DL may be doing the picking or nudging. Just confidently but nicely have your option chosen and advocate for it.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Hey all,

According to Orbitz (booked a package w/ business class fares), DL changed my return flight by 1 hour 3 minutes. I'm now getting home at 11:20pm and have work the next day. I haven't called yet, but is it likely Orbitz will put me on a KLM route (PRG-AMS-LAX-PHX) instead of my current DL metal (PRG-JFK-PHX)? I'd rather the extra stopover because through AMS arrives home much earlier (5pm) and skips 6 hours in a 'recliner' F seat. Not sure what I can expect with them.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Hey all,

According to Orbitz (booked a package w/ business class fares), DL changed my return flight by 1 hour 3 minutes. I'm now getting home at 11:20pm and have work the next day. I haven't called yet, but is it likely Orbitz will put me on a KLM route (PRG-AMS-LAX-PHX) instead of my current DL metal (PRG-JFK-PHX)? I'd rather the extra stopover because through AMS arrives home much earlier (5pm) and skips 6 hours in a 'recliner' F seat. Not sure what I can expect with them.
You didn't say when you are traveling, but flights on KLM metal AMS-SLC operate Wed, Fri, Sun (arriving SLC at 6:55 pm), You would connect to the SLC-PHX departure that leaves SLC at around 8:42, arriving PHX at about 9:25 p.m. So that is about two hours earlier than what you are booked on now.

And of course there is daily service on DL metal on the AMS-SLC route, arriving SLC at about 1:00 p.m. So that's another option to keep in mind, depending on when you would get into AMS from PRG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.