Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC *P
Hi, just wanted to share experience:

I had an outbound with a connection which, due to a schedule change, was prolonged the travel time by less an hour (and the departure was <30 mins earlier and the arrival was <30 mins later)... had to call twice. The first agent wouldn't budge but the second agent was so helpful. Got to depart a day later as well.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Can't tell if this is a Saturday change or if the phone agent borked something. I had a decent FCM offer show up yesterday for a trip coming up in January - called in because I only wanted to upgrade the return (it's ATL-IAD-ATL and I'm only upgrading for SDC flexibility).

Agent seemed a bit lost and after 30 seconds of typing, said she couldn't get it to price right and had to transfer me to manual reissue. I stayed on hold for them for about 5 minutes, but had to go to a meeting and decided to just hang up and try again later. Also, while holding I noticed a bunch of new weather waivers were out and figured that the reissue desk was probably slammed with all that.

I logged into DL.com today to see if the FCM offer was still there and it is not. What's interesting, though, is that I'm now seeing two seat maps for my return, along with the message on all three segments (one ATL-IAD, two IAD-ATL same flight) saying I can only view the seat map for now.

Times and flight numbers look the same. I can't tell if equip swap has happened because honestly I just wasn't paying that much attention - all I can remember is that it's always been an M88/M90/717 because of 2-3 or 3-2 seating. The flight info page still says Manage Medallion Upgrades so it doesn't seem like an RUC is somehow applied.

Any thoughts from FT world? I'll give it until tomorrow to see if it fixes itself, and also as I'm hoping stuff from the weather waivers will have calmed down by then. In the meantime, just curious if anyone else has seen something like this.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Have an award scheduled FCO - CDG (overnight) - RDU this upcoming May.

FCO - CDG is on AZ and was just schedule changed from 810pm to 925pm - given it's a very short overnight layover (CDG - RDU leaves at 11am the next morning), the later departure / arrival time isn't ideal.

There's an 8pm Air France flight but it has no award space - will Delta move me or is it a no go without the corresponding award space (or will they do nothing at all since it's the non-DL flights on the itinerary and there's no misconnect issue)?

Alternative any chance this schedule change is enough that I can move to the FCO - JFK - RDU flight the next day (that is at a higher 50k/person though I might lose my C+ if I do that right)?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Duke787
Have an award scheduled FCO - CDG (overnight) - RDU this upcoming May.

FCO - CDG is on AZ and was just schedule changed from 810pm to 925pm - given it's a very short overnight layover (CDG - RDU leaves at 11am the next morning), the later departure / arrival time isn't ideal.

There's an 8pm Air France flight but it has no award space - will Delta move me or is it a no go without the corresponding award space (or will they do nothing at all since it's the non-DL flights on the itinerary and there's no misconnect issue)?

Alternative any chance this schedule change is enough that I can move to the FCO - JFK - RDU flight the next day (that is at a higher 50k/person though I might lose my C+ if I do that right)?
DL can't override a partner for award tickets if there's no availability. Since its greater then an hour they'll give you the option to rebook, but it'll need to be flights with availability. Thus yes if there's availability on the flight direct to JFK, they can move you. They can also override for DL flights, but considering the slight change will more likely have you pick an option, including through CDG/AMS on AF/KLM that has availability.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is there a slightly earlier AZ that you could take to CDG (or AMS)?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL can't override a partner for award tickets if there's no availability. Since its greater then an hour they'll give you the option to rebook, but it'll need to be flights with availability. Thus yes if there's availability on the flight direct to JFK, they can move you. They can also override for DL flights, but considering the slight change will more likely have you pick an option, including through CDG/AMS on AF/KLM that has availability.
Does there have to be 30k award availability (which is what I paid) for Delta to be willing to rebook me? There are a couple of FCO - JFK/ATL - RDU options on all DL metal the next day but they are all at 50k/person and I only paid 30k/person.

Worst case we can keep it, just means a very short few hours of sleep at CDG.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is there a slightly earlier AZ that you could take to CDG (or AMS)?
None that work unfortunately - we're coming in on Vueling JTR - FCO earlier in the day (no SkyTeam flights from JTR that day we are leaving) so the window for FCO - CDG flights is limited to the late afternoon and evening.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

If anyone is flying domestic during the first week in January, note that DL seems not to be following their normal schedules during this period. In particular, I noticed a bunch of aircraft type swaps on these days, including CRJ-200s on routes that normally get the CRJ-900 or mainline service, depending on the time of day. I don't know how early these schedule changes were made.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Duke787
Does there have to be 30k award availability (which is what I paid) for Delta to be willing to rebook me? There are a couple of FCO - JFK/ATL - RDU options on all DL metal the next day but they are all at 50k/person and I only paid 30k/person.
If it's all DL *metal*, there does not need to be the same award-level availability so long as the new routing is somewhat reasonable to the agent you're speaking to. DL can force open inventory on its own metal.

If any of the flights are NOT DL metal, then yes, the same availability must be available.

Though I have heard rumors that if you're a German frequent flyer, you can just sue the airline and they'll buy you a full-fare FC ticket on any non-partner airline you want.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by gooselee
If it's all DL *metal*, there does not need to be the same award-level availability so long as the new routing is somewhat reasonable to the agent you're speaking to. DL can force open inventory on its own metal.

If any of the flights are NOT DL metal, then yes, the same availability must be available.

Though I have heard rumors that if you're a German frequent flyer, you can just sue the airline and they'll buy you a full-fare FC ticket on any non-partner airline you want.
Touche
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Not a major change at first glance but I have a DTW-SEA leg (part of NRT-DTW-SEA) that was scheduled to depart DTW at 7:50 PM move to 8:10 PM. I wouldn't care that much about the extra 20 minutes but what does stink is this moves the flight from the "Dinner" window to the "Snack" window now.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

If anyone is flying domestic during the first week in January, note that DL seems not to be following their normal schedules during this period. In particular, I noticed a bunch of aircraft type swaps on these days, including CRJ-200s on routes that normally get the CRJ-900 or mainline service, depending on the time of day. I don't know how early these schedule changes were made.
It's not just DL. I think all airlines are since they're probably expecting a decrease in business traffic with a short week following the New Years holiday and normal business travel won't resume until the following week. I'm traveling on the 6th (Friday) and getting an afternoon flight to the east coast that worked was difficult to find on any airline. The following Friday (Jan 13th), AA had an SEA-CLT-GSO flight that would have worked (left SEA at ~1 PM) but the week of the 6th that flight isn't running. The AA SEA-CLT flight left at 11:00 AM which was too early for me. I ended up having to go into RDU to get something that would work for my limited window of when I could leave while still getting in that night.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Dec 21, 2016 at 1:38 pm
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
AGH! All my domestic flights were B757s or at least B738's but they all got switched to the A320!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
AGH! All my domestic flights were B757s or at least B738's but they all got switched to the A320!
If it's the modded A320, I might consider that an upgrade.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
If it's the modded A320, I might consider that an upgrade.
In F maybe.... but I struggle with the tiny lavs and horrible pitch in Y!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee

Okay good to know. The current itinerary is mixed at 30k saver (AZ connecting to DL) so switching to the all Delta metal which is at 50k probably won't happen.

I'll call and give it a shot and if it's a no go try and just get on the earlier AF flight
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
VS 2 changed its time, and the DL code share 4407 did not. Hijinks ensue, as the computer changes my ticket to VS 2 and downgrades me from W to Economy (H). The partner desk couldn't get through to VS. They suggest I just take one of the DL flights out of JFK since "it's the same as our Comfort+." Um, no.

Eventually, they got me onto the codeshare for VS 138 out of JFK instead so as to not leave things in the hands of having to have VS call Delta back to reinstate my W class. New receipt printed for when the schedule changes again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.