Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:09 am

I’ve been able to convince them to move me to YYZ from BUF as an even exchange (not only a different province but a different country with different taxes and fees) with very little pushback on schedule changes. When you call be polite but firm and be very well prepared with a hierarchical list of your +/- 5 preferred flights. Often they try to move me into obtaining a refund which is the worst option as flight prices have all increased. Tell them you live in YYC but happened to be at a meeting in YVR that day and that is why you booked YVR. DL cannot force space on KLM or AF but on their own metal they have full leeway.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:57 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
@Utskicat @Mountain Explorer, thanks for your views. I wasn't really concerned about whether DL would let me do either the day before or DL metal day-of, I figured they should be able to do either with no problem if I kept YVR as the origin. I hadn't thought about the possibility that asking to originate in YYC might lead them to try to put me on the KL AMS flight. I have that flight booked 4-5 other times for later this year and am not particularly looking forward to it, although the 2-2-2 772 recently got swapped for the 789 on most (or all? I haven't gone through them all to check) of the dates for which I have it booked.

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
DL cannot force space on KLM or AF but on their own metal they have full leeway.
Can you elaborate on this? This is a cash ticket, and an involuntary change. I would have thought that "space" wouldn't be an issue, as long as there were available seats for sale in the applicable cabin. Did you mention this thinking this was a reward ticket, or am I going to run in to some stupid rule where there has to be space in the same fare class available on the new flights if I'm trying to re-book on AF/KL?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Part of today's schedule change Delta is going back to year round SEA-JNU. Great news for Alaska flyers. This route went summer seasonal only in 2016.
Chugach and spongenotbob like this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:47 am

I just had something rather interesting happen.

I had a LGA-BUF flight in June receive a minor schedule change (I think it departed 15 minutes later and the equipment changed from E75 to CR9).

Decided to tinker around with the online rebooking tool to see what it would let me do, if anything. Decided to put YYZ as the new destination, and lo and behold it said there was no additional fare to change to YYZ. Was totally expecting an error message when I selected the new flight and clicked submit, but nope, it confirmed!

Fare purchased is a very cheap Z fare.

YYZ flights were way more expensive that day (not always the case) so this is a huge success that'll save me a lot of time, effort, and money.

Maybe they consider BUF and YYZ to be in the same general area (I mean, they aren't *that* far apart) and that's why it was allowed, but who knows. I do know in IRROPS they do have the ability to reaccomodate passengers originally out of BUF to flights at YYZ as that's happened once before for me after a BUF-JFK flight was cancelled. I was booked in G at the time and the new flight from YYZ was showing F2 with all other first classes were zeroed out, but the new boarding pass still said G.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Liam Walshe; Apr 30, 2022 at 11:01 am
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Liam Walshe

Maybe they consider BUF and YYZ to be in the same general area (I mean, they aren't *that* far apart) and that's why it was allowed, but who knows. I do know in IRROPS they do have the ability to rebook flights originally of BUF to ones at YYZ as that's happened once before for me.
Years ago I had a fare to somewhere that was booked using KL via YYZ for the return from Europe. My bag didn't make the connection in AMS and KL paged me in the bag claim area of YYZ to let me know. They agreed to forward my bag on to DCA, my destination.
2 days later when the bag showed up, the bag tags showed that the bag had come across the Canada/US border by courier to BUF and then put on a plane to get to DCA.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Liam Walshe

I had a LGA-BUF flight in June receive a minor schedule change (I think it departed 15 minutes later and the equipment changed from E75 to CR9).

Decided to tinker around with the online rebooking tool to see what it would let me do, if anything. Decided to put YYZ as the new destination, and lo and behold it said there was no additional fare to change to YYZ. Was totally expecting an error message when I selected the new flight and clicked submit, but nope, it confirmed!

Fare purchased is a very cheap Z fare.

YYZ flights were way more expensive that day (not always the case) so this is a huge success that'll save me a lot of time, effort, and money.

Maybe they consider BUF and YYZ to be in the same general area (I mean, they aren't *that* far apart) and that's why it was allowed, but who knows. I do know in IRROPS they do have the ability to reaccomodate passengers originally out of BUF to flights at YYZ as that's happened once before for me after a BUF-JFK flight was cancelled. I was booked in G at the time and the new flight from YYZ was showing F2 with all other first classes were zeroed out, but the new boarding pass still said G.
I have done this frequently over the years. Same with delayed flights. I just did one today on a delayed ROC flight. My problem is the challenge of renting a car in BUF/YYZ and returning to the other. Southbound there are also $60+ of additional taxes that Delta eats on an even exchange. Sometimes DL will change my return city but sometimes not. During covid this was interesting with additional covid test requirements. Keep in mind that a domestic itinerary changed to YYZ will still require a negative covid test to fly into USA.
Old May 3, 2022, 5:33 pm

Not sure if this is a place to ask. Is it possible to tell if a recent schedule change swapped in a retrofit A330-300 for ATL - BCN for the July 26th flight? I don't recall Premium Economy being offered when we booked (it is now) but perhaps I just overlooked it. Thanks in advance and hope everyone is well!
Old May 5, 2022, 7:32 am

A month ago, I booked a connection MSN-DTW-YYZ for July 15th.
DELTA 2316 6:01pm–8:19pm
DELTA 4797* 9:15pm–10:30pm
Today I got an email from Delta saying that there's been a schedule change. Nothing in the email about any required action on my part. But when I go into the reservation on their website, it shows the first flight has been postponed a bit.
DEPART: 6:31 PM
ARRIVE: 8:45 PM
LAYOVER IN DETROIT, MI 30M
Due to a schedule change, you will miss your connecting flight. Please review your scheduled itinerary and contact our Reservations team for alternative flight options.
I did a bit of research and it seems 30 minutes should be fine to make that connection. And the interesting thing is that Delta is actually still selling the exact same itinerary with the 30-minute connection time on their website.
Any suggestions on what to do? I've never really flown in the US before so I'm not sure how passenger rights work, but if I just do nothing and then I miss the connection, what would happen? There is no later DTW-YYZ flight. Thanks!
Old May 6, 2022, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by somody
I did a bit of research and it seems 30 minutes should be fine to make that connection. And the interesting thing is that Delta is actually still selling the exact same itinerary with the 30-minute connection time on their website.
Any suggestions on what to do? I've never really flown in the US before so I'm not sure how passenger rights work, but if I just do nothing and then I miss the connection, what would happen? There is no later DTW-YYZ flight. Thanks!
You need to call in, and they may be able to just update your ticket. It is legal but not very comfortable; at least they might warn you about the tight connection. If you missed the connection, you would likely be spending the night in the Detroit airport at your own expense (assuming the delay is not within Delta's control). I looked and there did not appear to be too many other options but leaving earlier in the day, even with a longer connection, might be worth considering.
Old May 6, 2022, 6:29 pm

Today I got an email from Delta saying that there's been a schedule change. Nothing in the email about any required action on my part. But when I go into the reservation on their website, it shows the first flight has been postponed a bit.

My opinion: 30 minutes is too tight. If you miss it, Delta will reaccomodate you but it may not be the first flight out…. Flights are very very full these days, so you may be delayed much longer than expected. I would figure out the flights you want (anything within +/- 1 day) and call delta and read them the flights you want.

Should be a free change and much less stress.
Old May 6, 2022, 6:42 pm

You will likely arrive and depart in B/C which is a short walk between gates. No need to get to/from A.
Old May 9, 2022, 8:15 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
What's the best way to see if/when Delta is bringing back an MSP-BUF nonstop? This was around before the pandemic but got canceled during 2020. I just looked at some June dates and I noticed there's a nonstop that I can book, but I was wondering if there was a way to see something official on when it starts and what the schedule looks like and if it's running every day.
Old May 9, 2022, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
What's the best way to see if/when Delta is bringing back an MSP-BUF nonstop? This was around before the pandemic but got canceled during 2020. I just looked at some June dates and I noticed there's a nonstop that I can book, but I was wondering if there was a way to see something official on when it starts and what the schedule looks like and if it's running every day.
I use the Flight Schedules section of the Fly Delta app. You can pick a route and a date then arrow earlier or later to see when it operates.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
Google Flights is perfect for this. Search MSP-BUF, put in any random date you want (doesn't matter). Then, when the results pop up, chose "Nonstop only" and then click "Price graph".

As you can see, it starts on June 9th (not daily) and then becomes daily on June 30th.

Air Houston likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by noah
You need to call in, and they may be able to just update your ticket. It is legal but not very comfortable; at least they might warn you about the tight connection. If you missed the connection, you would likely be spending the night in the Detroit airport at your own expense (assuming the delay is not within Delta's control). I looked and there did not appear to be too many other options but leaving earlier in the day, even with a longer connection, might be worth considering.
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
My opinion: 30 minutes is too tight. If you miss it, Delta will reaccomodate you but it may not be the first flight out…. Flights are very very full these days, so you may be delayed much longer than expected. I would figure out the flights you want (anything within +/- 1 day) and call delta and read them the flights you want.

Should be a free change and much less stress.
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
You will likely arrive and depart in B/C which is a short walk between gates. No need to get to/from A.
Thanks for your help, everyone! I decided not to risk it, so I contacted Delta and asked to be moved to new flights. It was a two-hour ordeal, because for a long time they refused to rebook me on any flight that didn't have any seats left in the same fare class as the original ticket. I was told that there would be no possibilities on the same day, only the following day. After arguing for a while, I was transferred to a "repricing specialist", and he moved me to the flights I wanted in two minutes. All good now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.