Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 3, 22, 3:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki Link
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 11, 22, 8:50 am
  #2506  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 202
thank you!
deltatrav is offline  
Old Apr 11, 22, 11:43 am
  #2507  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,408
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876 View Post
All of my summer JFK/SFO flights went from 767-300s to 75S.

super annoying as it reduces the D1 cabin for RUCs and 3-3 seating. A few look to still be on 767-300 so I might call and plea my case.
I tried. No go. Slight schedule change, aircraft change to 757 - already in D1, and policy is since already in a lie flat (even though someone will now have to crawl over me), no go without reprice.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Apr 11, 22, 12:26 pm
  #2508  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SJC (formerly CHI and STL)
Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN
Posts: 953
Schedule change Saturday caught me on an AF flight this time - they swapped the 77W I had booked for CDG-RUN in August from a 1-2-1 lie-flat J layout to the old 2-3-2 angle-flat J cabin. I'll give it a few tries to see if I can find someone to help me with alternates, but not expecting any success.
steex is offline  
Old Apr 11, 22, 7:19 pm
  #2509  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
Posts: 1,971
New route added this SCS: SEA-FLL. 1x daily 739 beginning December 17th.
DLASflyer is online now  
Old Apr 11, 22, 7:24 pm
  #2510  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by steex View Post
Schedule change Saturday caught me on an AF flight this time - they swapped the 77W I had booked for CDG-RUN in August from a 1-2-1 lie-flat J layout to the old 2-3-2 angle-flat J cabin. I'll give it a few tries to see if I can find someone to help me with alternates, but not expecting any success.
What does this have to do with DL? Did they start managing and changing AFís aircraft assignments?
LikeaGVI is offline  
Old Apr 11, 22, 9:40 pm
  #2511  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SJC (formerly CHI and STL)
Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN
Posts: 953
Originally Posted by LikeaGVI View Post
What does this have to do with DL? Did they start managing and changing AFís aircraft assignments?
Fair enough - it's tangentially related, at best. It's a DL award ticket SFO-RUN that had already been mishandled by DL due to a schedule change rebooking - I currently have duplicate TATL sectors on the ticket from different US gateways. To your point, though, that part does not affect the aircraft on the AF leg.
strickerj likes this.
steex is offline  
Old Apr 11, 22, 11:22 pm
  #2512  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 321
well, that change didnt last a month. Got hit by Change Saturday again (CNX'd) the MSP-DTW flight that had got on the last change.
Because of that, now results in a 4+ Hour stay in MSP and another 4+ hour connection in DTW. In otherwords, a 15 hour travel day.....to go from SFO > MSP > DTW > BUF
So we leave SFO (early in the morning at 0600) yet we won't end up in Buffalo until just 2 mins before midnight Eastern.
Was unable to find any alternate that did not get us there 2+ days later OR without several stops AND still a day later than we originally booked.
The "joy's" of having a booking with 5 seats! AND using Regional Upgrades on all 5
What I did find Odd was that I could find a couple of flights that showed Upgrade Certificates available for both legs, but the DM line folks were only ever able to see ONE (the shorter leg of DTW-BUF or ATL-BUF) but not longer cross country leg. Maybe the website reflection what is actually available for RUC or GUC's is not as accurate as would assume.
I will say I have liked the fact that its there, to search for tickets, purchase tickets and then call in and know can have them apply the RUC/GUC's. But now I wonder if its always kept up to date. To be honest, lately I have been surprised at the availablity of RUC/GUC showing up on Delta.com. But I attributed it to the fact that they were just looking to get what is likely lots of folks out of their wallets and "off the books" of Delta SkyMiles account???


Originally Posted by rizrizriz View Post
A week or so ago, not more than a few days from when last time posted on needing changes made to our original OAK-DTW-BUF flights, which resulted in no way to do other than to have yet another stop added. Which in the end we were able to get done. Seems more change happened and our OAK-MSP-DTW-BUF updated Itinerary resulted in that MSP-DTW leg being cnx so the computer moved us to a MSP-ATL-BUF flight (that we could not make because the flight leaving MSP to ATL was 60 mins before we arrived in MSP!!
Called DM line again and spoke with a great rep who saw what was going on, ANd the fact we had two different PRN that were linked and never even batted an eye when asked if possible to depart out of SFO to get ultimately to BUF. While we still have 2 stops (SFO-MSP-DTW-BUF) we do arrive early evening, and no more red-eyes that we would not have been able to get much sleep anyway, cuz was so many different stops. So it WAS possible to get a change of departure airport (SFO vs OAK) which I assumed was possible as they are all close (SFO, SJC, OAK) Will see how this holds up for the next couple months! Course the return is still a LONG day with 2 stops (maybe should call this the Delta hub tour!!) I guess thats what I get trying to get into someplace like Buffalo NY, with a group of 7
rizrizriz is offline  
Old Apr 12, 22, 12:24 am
  #2513  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 15,902
Originally Posted by LikeaGVI View Post
What does this have to do with DL? Did they start managing and changing AF’s aircraft assignments?
Originally Posted by steex View Post
Fair enough - it's tangentially related, at best. It's a DL award ticket SFO-RUN [...]
If it's DL-ticketed then you have to deal with DL for schedule changes etc. until the day of travel, so, perhaps not in the wheelhouse for the thread, but arguably still at least vaguely related...
Zorak is online now  
Old Apr 14, 22, 2:15 pm
  #2514  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
If it's DL-ticketed then you have to deal with DL for schedule changes etc. until the day of travel, so, perhaps not in the wheelhouse for the thread, but arguably still at least vaguely related...
DL isnít going to change OPís flights because the AF 77W was changed from 1-2-1 to a 2-3-2 config. OP is still in J and the AF flight is still scheduled to operate to RUN with the same schedule.
LikeaGVI is offline  
Old Apr 15, 22, 3:42 am
  #2515  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 15,902
Originally Posted by LikeaGVI View Post
DL isnít going to change OPís flights because the AF 77W was changed from 1-2-1 to a 2-3-2 config. OP is still in J and the AF flight is still scheduled to operate to RUN with the same schedule.
I didn't say DL was going to accommodate based on this, I was giving a reason as to why it's arguably DL-relevant.
Zorak is online now  
Old Apr 15, 22, 4:41 am
  #2516  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by Zorak
I didn't say DL was going to accommodate based on this, I was giving a reason as to why it's arguably DL-relevant.
The original poster I replied to initially posted nothing about a schedule change that occurred because of DL. This thread is called:

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread


Is it not? So how is the poster saying they got caught in DL schedule change Saturday because AF switched 77W configs a Delta Schedule Change relevant post? That isnít relevant to or has anything to do with DL even if the ticket was issued by DL.
LikeaGVI is offline  
Old Apr 15, 22, 5:07 am
  #2517  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 15,902
I agree that this schedule change was not caused by Delta (though that is not relevant on a Delta-issued ticket) and that in this particular instance DL is unlikely to do anything for a change in seating config. You are correct on those points.

As for the rest, I have nothing new to say that wasn't contained in my previous two posts. You are welcome to use the exclamation-mark-in-a-triangle icon located on every FT post to alert the moderators to any posts that you think should be relocated elsewhere.
Zorak is online now  
Old Apr 23, 22, 8:34 am
  #2518  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Posts: 13,849
I'm hoping some DL experts could give me some advice on my situation. I've read quite a few posts in this thread, but it seems DL's policies are quite light in this area and a lot may be up to agent discretion. TL;DR looking to use a cancellation (re-booked to 24 hours later) to change my origin.

During the big SkyTeam Canada TATL sale a few weeks back, I purchased a bunch of tickets. One of these was a trip to CDG ticketed by DL. The original routing was YVR-CDG on AF, return CDG-AMS-YYC on KL (all DL codeshares). Although I live in YYC, I wanted to use this as an opportunity to fly AF long-haul, and the only way I could get it to price at the good fare was to originate in YVR. Not a big deal to position there from YYC.

Last week, AF cancelled the YVR-CDG flight that day, and re-booked me the following day. That's definitely not acceptable to me. I know I could get a refund, which I don't want, and that I should have some latitude in re-booking as well.

I'm hoping this board might be able to offer me some insight in to how much latitude I have. The main thing I would like to try to do here is to save myself the need to buy a separate flight to position from YYC. The two main options I'm looking at are:
  • Move the departure to the day before so I can still do AF YVR-CDG
  • Keep travel on the same day, but fly DL via SLC

How likely is it that, in either of these cases, a DL rep will let me change the origin to YYC? In the first case, that would entail putting me on a WS or AC flight YYC-YVR. In the second case, it would be DL YYC-SLC (and whether you do DL metal from YYC or YVR, both require an early morning departure from YVR/YYC to a DL hub rather than an afternoon departure from YVR). In both scenarios, my rationale would be that I had no problem being in YVR on the afternoon of the original departure date, but if I'm being forced to depart much earlier (either a day earlier or early morning on the original date), my ability to originate from YVR is diminished. I'm not sure whether it's helpful to disclose to the agent that I live in YYC and was planning to position myself to YVR for the original itinerary, or just be a bit more vague about what works for me (e.g. "if I have to depart before noon, I can't do it from YVR").

And will DL have any bias towards putting me on its own metal, or will they be relatively indifferent to keeping me on AF for the TATL portion?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Adam Smith is online now  
Old Apr 23, 22, 8:57 am
  #2519  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite
Posts: 435
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
As you mentioned itís going to largely depend on who you talk to. As a delta diamond who lives in Toronto and flies AFKL almost exclusively transatlantic, my experience is theyíre not going to change your origination city to a different province. However getting them to change your outbound day to the day before versus the day after should not be a big deal at all. Obviously when your flight got cancelled they just picked the next day randomly, their rescheduling logic does that. If theyíre flying the flight the day before and thatís when you want to go, there should be almost zero problem with that.

I do find that rebooking agents often have a preference to get you on Delta metal TATL. It doesnít mean that they canít book you on skyteam partners but their go-to seems to be Delta metal. Iím not sure itís because of any particular policy, I think it might just be loyalty to the airline that they work for that they feel like Delta should be your first option. But as long as you have the flights that you want thatís what you push for. Donít let them dictate what flights they want you to fly onÖyou do the research before you call in and you tell them what you want. You shouldnít have a problem.

One more thing to consider is that KLM flies from YYC to Amsterdam almost every day. If by some crazy stretch of the imagination you could get them to change the origination city theyíre gonna probably want to use that flight. Last thought as long as your Delta Sky Miles member make sure that you really push them to rebook you using Air France or KLM flight numbers if youíre flying on Air France or KLM. Donít let them rebook you on Air France flights using Delta flight numbers. If it has a Delta flight number youíll earn miles based on dollar spent which will be significantly less than if it has an air France or KLM flight number which will earn you sky miles based on distance flown including your business class bonuses.

Lastly you are definitely smart to want to pursue Air France business long-haul. Itís honestly the best business class product in skyteam. They donít have suites like Delta does but they have 100% 1-2-1 cabins, great seats and amazing food and service. On the flipside KLM I generally try to stay away from. Half their fleet is still 2-2-2 And almost always their J food is not great.
Utskicat is offline  
Old Apr 23, 22, 10:17 am
  #2520  
formerly kjnangre
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SJC/YUL
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,649
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
1 day earlier out of YVR will be no problem. But very unlikely you'll be able to change origin, you'd still be on your own for getting to YVR. I'm sure DL will offer you options for YVR-SEA-CDG on your original travel date (but once again, you have to get yourself to YVR).
Mountain Explorer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread