Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by slice
What I'd really prefer to do is defer the trip (using the same ticket) to a date later this year. Do I have any possibility of an agent allowing an even exchange (same routing, same price, same class of service)?
If the price is the same on your new travel date, then yes! But I know that's not what you're asking. Unfortunately no, never heard of that being granted. Redeposit and rebook is your best bet
Old Mar 1, 2022, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rizrizriz
The best they could do (which is what I finally was agreeing to anyway) was still be 2 stops (vs the 1 stop in DTW before). But not the red eye we originally were ok with, to a 1000 departure out of OAK, to SLC to MSP and BUF. (BUF-DTW-SLC-OAK on return) No one was budging on the just change it from OAK to SFO request I made (It seems that is a bridge too far) even when I had said to them before I have had that sort of accommodation between LGA and JFK. Still sux's considering of the group of 7, 4 are 76-82 and 1 is 5yrs old! That many connections both ways....is just asking for trouble to keep the 7 of us together (fingers crossed!) Joy.

So in the end did get them
2 out of 3, not bad

Recently as a PM, I was able to get a positive-space rebooking on a better routing with an agency ticket (LHR-MSP dropped from schedule, changed LHR-BOS-MSP to LHR-ATL-MSP, paid Z) but I received a stern admonishment for the agency ticket and a "we will notate your account that this is a one-time exception...". Serves me right for using IAP (and took 30m to successfully reissue the discounted tariff).. maybe I should have braved Expedia dba Amex first
Old Mar 12, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
question- I’m booked JFK-LAX-SFO in D1/FC on a cleared RUC. The LAX-SFO went from mainline to delta connection.

can I request a rebook into JFK-SFO direct per DOT rules due to operation carrier change?
Old Mar 12, 2022, 5:38 pm

I don't think I've ever seen an SCS run this long or include so very many changes. Some of my changes are quite significant.

Going to be making a lot of phone calls after this one....
Old Mar 12, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
I don't think I've ever seen an SCS run this long or include so very many changes. Some of my changes are quite significant.

Going to be making a lot of phone calls after this one....
I still haven’t been placed on the new flight for my changed itinerary. Still listing the old route and no seat map. New booking has a different aircraft and departure time.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Minnyappleus
I still haven’t been placed on the new flight for my changed itinerary. Still listing the old route and no seat map. New booking has a different aircraft and departure time.
It's only Saturday. Things usually settle by Monday.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
question- I’m booked JFK-LAX-SFO in D1/FC on a cleared RUC. The LAX-SFO went from mainline to delta connection.

can I request a rebook into JFK-SFO direct per DOT rules due to operation carrier change?
bump
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can request it, but the only thing they are obligated to provide is a refund.
Pianoman109876 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876

You can ask but doubtful. DOT rules only obligate a refund, after which you could rebook at whatever the current fare is and upgrade providing space is available. Delta has been a bit more strict with schedule changes involving RUCs/GUCs in the past year or so. If you end up with an impossible itinerary or an itinerary that is a substantial change (big layovers, different days, etc.), you shouldn't have an issue. An agent should override if no upgrade space is available. However, a simple operating carrier change on a short segment is probably not enough for agent to justify an override.
Pianoman109876 likes this.

Last edited by dave456; Mar 14, 2022 at 8:46 am
Old Mar 19, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PLT, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Interesting Change -- ATL - HNL | June Timeframe

Hi!

As you all know, this is schedule change Saturday! :-)

Something I've never experienced is a downgrade in seats to Economy when a change has taken place. In this case from 3J in an A300-300 (34J) to 18G in a B767-300 (26J)

Original seat on A330-300

New seat on B767-300, but with a Delta One fare class

Current greyed out seat map with 3 seats as 'x' and the rest fully taken

I've waited as I expected things may be made right, but the cabin has been refilling through the day with more and more seats shown as occupied. I can't change seats myself.

Am waiting for an 1h20m callback.

Any other recommendations? There are seats on the MSP - HNL flight, so thinking outside of the box :-)

Will report back as I work to resolve this.

Wishing everyone a great rest of their weekend!
- no1racer
Old Mar 19, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Disappointing to see HNL-ATL downgraded back to a 763 in May. Also noticed ATL-CDG adjusted from A330 to A350.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PLT, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Hi!

To report back, the Delta One cabin was full, so there would have been a likelihood of me needing to address this in the future one way or another. Maybe a seat would have opened up, but that's not assured and I may not have liked the seat choice.

So, I proactively changed to the MSP-HNL flight and have selected 1D in the Delta One cabin.

The interesting thing about this is that there were not 26 people booked when I originally booked my ticket and I have a C fare code as a Diamond Medallion. I'm a bit surprised that I was chosen for the potential downgrade based on the schedule change logic. It would be interesting to understand, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it :-)

Best,
no1racer
Old Mar 19, 2022, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nevermind, was thinking one of the row 3 seats was a pilot rest seat, but I think that's on the 764.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 9:24 pm

No worries xliioper

For the 767-300, I believe there may be a pilot rest at Row 5 and this may be dependent on the configuration. You can see it at this link: https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/curtains-in-business-class-secret/

Hope that helps!

Best,
no1racer
Old Mar 19, 2022, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by findark
2 out of 3, not bad
A week or so ago, not more than a few days from when last time posted on needing changes made to our original OAK-DTW-BUF flights, which resulted in no way to do other than to have yet another stop added. Which in the end we were able to get done. Seems more change happened and our OAK-MSP-DTW-BUF updated Itinerary resulted in that MSP-DTW leg being cnx so the computer moved us to a MSP-ATL-BUF flight (that we could not make because the flight leaving MSP to ATL was 60 mins before we arrived in MSP!!
Called DM line again and spoke with a great rep who saw what was going on, ANd the fact we had two different PRN that were linked and never even batted an eye when asked if possible to depart out of SFO to get ultimately to BUF. While we still have 2 stops (SFO-MSP-DTW-BUF) we do arrive early evening, and no more red-eyes that we would not have been able to get much sleep anyway, cuz was so many different stops. So it WAS possible to get a change of departure airport (SFO vs OAK) which I assumed was possible as they are all close (SFO, SJC, OAK) Will see how this holds up for the next couple months! Course the return is still a LONG day with 2 stops (maybe should call this the Delta hub tour!!) I guess thats what I get trying to get into someplace like Buffalo NY, with a group of 7

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.