Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 3, 22, 3:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki Link
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 13, 21, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I noticed DL is planning on a lot of the US-Europe nonstops to come back either March or May. (JFK-PRG, etc... but all mostly on 767 sadly)
Old Nov 13, 21, 11:38 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, Avis President's Club
I had a SEA-LAS trip booked in January and the return flight was moved back a half hour, now the latest LAS-SEA is at 6:59 PM.

On the plus side, I was able to rebook it for 11,000 miles instead of 26,000 miles, now that the award redeposit fee is gone.

Any chance of schedules being updated for international flights in February? I may be going SEA-TLV and SEA-CDG-TLV violates MCT and SEA-AMS-TLV has an all-day layover and arrives +2 days in TLV. SEA-LHR doesn't appear to be coming back until March. Shortest and most practical option may be SEA-JFK-TLV.
Old Nov 14, 21, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zmb View Post
I had a SEA-LAS trip booked in January and the return flight was moved back a half hour, now the latest LAS-SEA is at 6:59 PM.

On the plus side, I was able to rebook it for 11,000 miles instead of 26,000 miles, now that the award redeposit fee is gone.

Any chance of schedules being updated for international flights in February? I may be going SEA-TLV and SEA-CDG-TLV violates MCT and SEA-AMS-TLV has an all-day layover and arrives +2 days in TLV. SEA-LHR doesn't appear to be coming back until March. Shortest and most practical option may be SEA-JFK-TLV.
I suspect TATL schedule is mostly set through March 25th as numerous timing and frequency changes kick in on March 26th. There's also timing changes on March 13th, but this looks solely due to DST kicking in.
Old Nov 16, 21, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Because of an earlier described schedule change, I'm attempting to change from the no longer available OGG-SLC to OGG-HNL-SLC in First. It is a mileage ticket. OGG-HNL is being sold as the DL codeshare in first but not as available using miles. Asked reservations but was told HA is not allowing them to make the change. If DL is selling the revenue inventory are they not also able to open it up as an award? To me seems like it's within DL's control, not HA. Any advice or insight?
Old Nov 16, 21, 3:17 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP
Originally Posted by Peatisback View Post
Because of an earlier described schedule change, I'm attempting to change from the no longer available OGG-SLC to OGG-HNL-SLC in First. It is a mileage ticket. OGG-HNL is being sold as the DL codeshare in first but not as available using miles. Asked reservations but was told HA is not allowing them to make the change. If DL is selling the revenue inventory are they not also able to open it up as an award? To me seems like it's within DL's control, not HA. Any advice or insight?
99% of the time, you can't book codeshares as awards. This rule continues to apply in the case of schedule changes, and DL cannot force HA to open up award space on OGG-HNL.

Delta can open up award space on their own metal from OGG-LAX-SLC or OGG-SEA-SLC. They also may be willing to re-ticket you on HNL-SLC and then you can buy a HA or WN flight from OGG-HNL at your own expense, but then you take on the risk of separate tickets.
Old Nov 17, 21, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Peatisback View Post
Awards are always issued as operating carrier number. DL has no control over if HA makes a seat available as an award. If it was a DL operated flights they could override, but not for OAL. This would be true even if it was KL instead of HA.
Old Nov 20, 21, 10:02 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Looks like DL97 CDG-DTW changed from 330-900neo to 330-300 on 2/14/2022. Bummer.
Old Nov 20, 21, 10:40 am

so if you book a flight on points you can cancel and deposit points back with no cancellation fee??? Or is this just to change flight?
thanks
Old Nov 20, 21, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tony King View Post
Looks like DL97 CDG-DTW changed from 330-900neo to 330-300 on 2/14/2022. Bummer.
It's a recently refurbed A333 with a PS cabin. So presumably it should be in decent shape.
Old Nov 20, 21, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Kerrirdh View Post
so if you book a flight on points you can cancel and deposit points back with no cancellation fee??? Or is this just to change flight?
thanks
Cancellation fees for domestic skymiles redemptions were eliminated in September 2020
Old Nov 21, 21, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
I’ve searched for the answer here and Google-ated but to no avail. We had a 4+ hour schedule change for an international trip that DL made months ago. I’ve sat on it in case we needed to use it as a reason for a refund but then I was talking to an agent from AA who said they had a time limit after notification that you can make a free change / refund on AA. Is that the case on DL? If so, how long do we have after the schedule change email arrives? Looks like Europe is in for some rough times this holiday season and I’m not sure we want to go anymore…
Old Nov 21, 21, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Kerrirdh View Post
thanks
Old Nov 21, 21, 5:57 pm
formerly kjnangre

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now View Post
I’ve searched for the answer here and Google-ated but to no avail. We had a 4+ hour schedule change for an international trip that DL made months ago. I’ve sat on it in case we needed to use it as a reason for a refund but then I was talking to an agent from AA who said they had a time limit after notification that you can make a free change / refund on AA. Is that the case on DL? If so, how long do we have after the schedule change email arrives? Looks like Europe is in for some rough times this holiday season and I’m not sure we want to go anymore…
No time limit (other than the obvious one: you should cancel before scheduled departure time of your first flight)
Old Nov 21, 21, 5:58 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion

They just cancelled the 7:30pm flight from SEA to LAX. The latest is now 5:50pm?
Old Nov 21, 21, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL PM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now View Post
Ive searched for the answer here and Google-ated but to no avail. We had a 4+ hour schedule change for an international trip that DL made months ago. Ive sat on it in case we needed to use it as a reason for a refund but then I was talking to an agent from AA who said they had a time limit after notification that you can make a free change / refund on AA. Is that the case on DL? If so, how long do we have after the schedule change email arrives? Looks like Europe is in for some rough times this holiday season and Im not sure we want to go anymore
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer View Post
No time limit (other than the obvious one: you should cancel before scheduled departure time of your first flight)
Thats a happy answer - thank you!
Mountain Explorer likes this.

Search this Thread